Battlestations» Forums » General

Subject: Wait for 2 or get 1? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Riese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So I was searching for just a game like battlestations when I came across the Kickstarter just in time to get on board. I'm quite excited to play. Having never played the original release, do you think I should wait for 2.0 or jump on and pick up the old school version now while I wait. Or would that just be a waste of money once 2.0 is delivered? Personal choice I know but curious about others opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have picked up the first edition in the kickstarter!

I'd say look for a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Riese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Did I miss something? How would I have gotten the first one in the Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was an add-on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Riese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Darn. Yea I must have missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Version one still appears to be available from the web store. Not as cheap as through the KS unfortunately. The various supplements are also listed either in paper or PDF forms (varies for each). My understanding is that the (updated) rules from these are in version 2 but the scenarios/campaigns aren't.

Jeff also said extra things can be added once the pledge manager comes online but he didn't specifically mention if the price of version one was going up or not.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Riese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tips. I see now the add on for version 1. I'm new at Kickstarter so must have blown right by that in my excitement. I messaged him seeing if I could add it so I'll see. Doesn't hurt to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have almost a year to wait, so getting to try V1 in the meantime could mean you'd get a lot of use before V2 came out. V2 might be cleaned up, have the tutorial missions, minis, etc, but you'll definitely get the feel of what BS is like.

Also keep an eye out for people selling V1 who may be ditching it in anticipation of V2 - you might be able to pick up a deal that way too, though if Jeff lets you add on for $25, that's a pretty good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Riese
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. $60 plus shipping just seemed a bit steep to just hold me until 2.0. But if I can add it to my ks for 25 that's a no brainier. Just hope I can. So glad I discovered the KS for this just in time. So excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always draw out ships on graph paper and use the QuickStart rules to whet you appetite. I'm a big PnP person though and am willing to do extra work to tide me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I'm keeping all my 1st ed, as I've bought a lot of 15mm stuff for it, and will be using it for scifi wargaming as well.

That said - you won't find much compatible between the two, all the pieces are different sizes.

The main advantage of 1st ed, is that you can get it now, and all the books are available as PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.