Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan then showed up right on time and we set out to colonize Plymouth Rock in the new Games Magazine Game of the Year - New England. I liked this game well-enough the first time I played it, and with each playing I enjoy it more and more. There is a lot of depth and tension in this one.

Alan had first selection and chose 6 tiles, leaving 3 cards which happened to be barn-barn-barn. I'm a fan of a barn or two as they've saved my bacon in a couple of games, allowing me to store a card before I could use it. But also know not everyone likes them I figured they'd be around if I went last and did some bargain hunting at $1 apiece. I neglected to consider the possibilty that the 3 players ahead of me would each take 2 tiles, which they did. Do I simply pass this round of bargains or take I take a barn or two and lock up a starting tile? Throwing caution two the wind I bought a barn, locked up my black starting tile, and bought another barn to put in that barn.

Next round saw another 6 tiles and this time the cards came up pilgrim-pilgrim-pilgrim. I swear I shuffled these cards! Brett and I went after the pilgrims throughout the game, usually tied, sometimes a one pilgrim lead over the other. We ended up tied at 5 with Alan and Jeff each having one as well, that left one more for what would be the penultimate round. I was happy with a tie with Brett so we'd each get the 4 points, but he took the pilgrim. I couldn't afford to take it as I needed to free up some land for development victory points. It was going to be close.

It was now my turn to decide on a number of tiles. I could try to end the game as tiles were running low, but Jeff had a 3 point lead over me, so I at least had to try for the win - it would be a long shot. I chose 3 tiles (leaving one in the bag) which required 6 cards (leaving one in the deck) - garunteed last round. I had some options which would get me into a tie with Jeff, as long as he didn't take a turn because it looked like he had a countermove for every one. I neglected to take into acount the other two players at the table though, as their best moves took away Jeff's countermoves. Alan in particular gained 6 or 7 points that last round - boy was it going to be close.

Final scoring (VP's/shillings/pilgrims):
Jeff A: 32/12/5
Jeff W: 32/10/1
Alan: 31/9?/1
Brett: 29/15?/6

I edged out Jeff W only by the tie-breaker of 2 shillings, and Alan was a single point behind. I included the number of pilgrims simply because I've heard some say they are too much a requirement for victory. Not so, since the final round could have gone differently (or could never have happened) and Jeff W. would have had a clear victory through judicious and more effective use of his smaller income. What a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.