Hide
3 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Advance order: Remove contested area limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woody Woodywoody
msg tools
We came across this variant by accident by not reading the rules properly. Played a fair few games where an advance token would allow you to contest as many areas as you wanted. Sometimes this could even lead to a player starting battles on two planets and a space battle in a void.

After being corrected that an advance order can only be used to contest *one* area, our first game with the proper rules feels a bit limiting. The games with unlimited combats felt a bit more dynamic and opponents on your doorstep felt a lot more dangerous.

Perhaps player strength was kept more balanced though, with all four players ending on three objectives and it went down to planet count.

Anyone experimented with unlimited moves? Any feedback on whether it's worth continuing to play that way, or would we be missing out on key mechanics? (Eldar Strafing Run obviously heavily effected)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was messing around with making the game more aggressive.

I feel like the game has to steep of a learning curve since being efficient with your strategize orders is so important. And a more aggressive game might be more friendly to new players.

I see two problems with unlimited engagements:

1 - Two players will likely go at it leaving the others to sit.

2 - Player cannot use delay tactics. As the Orkz I build ship, not because I intend to win space battles, but because they work as a speed bump.

Also one of the orkz advantages is that they can move 3 times a turn.

I am still looking for better ways to modify this game, however when playing unlimited moves I've come up with the following rules, which I feel should be used.

1. A player needs to stop advancing if they loose a battle.
2. A player needs to stop advancing if they go 3 rounds of combat.

But because of the down time I cannot say that I recommend it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I would just be concerned with the massive down time this could inflict on other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.