5 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Legendary: Civil War VERSUS GAME RULE OVERHAUL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Rea
msg tools
Hi there, BGG!

I've seen various efforts to make a Civil War Scheme for Legendary, and I've liked the ideas presented, but I've never felt that these Schemes have gone far enough. So I decided to overhaul the rules of Legendary to make it into a versus game of sorts instead of a cooperative game.

This game pits two teams of players against each other; Pro-Registration and Anti-Registration. Either team can win by defeating the opposing team's Commander, or by completing their own Commander's win condition.

This will require at least one expansion along with the base game. Villains and Dark City are good choices. The more expansions you have, the more options each team has.

Note: The game can be played with 2, 4, or 6 players. There is no good way to balance a game with an odd number of players. Denotation for player counts: 2 players/4 players/6 players. For example, the Hero Deck has 3/5/6 Heroes. If you have 2 players, each team gets 3 Heroes. If you have 4 players, each team gets 5 Heroes. If you have 6 players, each team gets 6 Heroes.
Note: Anything in italics is a comment. Usually, I use them to justify design decisions that may seem debatable.
Note: This overhaul was designed with 6 players in mind. Setups for 2 and 4 players have not been thoroughly tested. If you play with one of those set ups, let me know what you thought of the balancing!

Without further ado, here it is:

CIVIL WAR

THE BOARD:

There are two teams: Pro-Registration and Anti-Registration.

The two teams set up their Commanders facing each other. Each team gets their own Hero Deck and HQ. Each Hero Deck has 3/5/6 Heroes, counting Iron Man and Captain America.

Players can attack the opposing team’s HQ. The Hero they choose to fight has attack equal to their cost and 2 Uru-Enchanted Weapons. If the attack is successful, that Hero is KO’d and not replaced until that team recruits another Hero from their HQ.

There is no Mastermind or Scheme. Instead, there are 8/10/12 Plot Twists (7/9/11 Scheme Twists) in the Villain Deck. Each Plot/Scheme Twist activates the opposing team’s Commander’s Plot Twist effect.

The Villain Deck has this setup: This deck is supposed to be somewhat large, as there are two teams fighting two Commanders.
- 2/3/4 Villain Groups
- 1/1/2 Henchmen Groups
- 8/12/16 Bystanders
- 1 group of 14 Spider-Man cards with attack equal to their cost and the effect Fight: Gain this Hero Spider-Man switches sides in the Civil War story line, so he’s available to both teams.

When a Villain effect says “each player”, apply that effect to everyone. This is the same when it is not specified. When it says “each other player,” the current player chooses which team to be affected.

When a Villain escapes the City, both teams KO a Hero from the HQ, and discard a card when a Bystander escapes, as normal. The teams are fighting each other while also trying to keep the City from falling apart, so failure to do so is on everyone.

If the Villain Deck runs out, each player on the current team chooses an opponent from the opposing team and battles them in a Final Showdown. Whatever team wins the most Final Showdowns wins the game.

A TEAM WINS: When the opposing Commander has no remaining Commander Tactics underneath him.

TWO NEW COMMANDERS:

IRON MAN
Iron Man’s plot twists, command strikes, and victory condition are all based on the idea that they’re trying to quell the Anti-Registration. Iron Man and associates were willing to do a lot of damage by the end of Civil War in order to gain peace.
Plot Twist: Anti-Registration reveals their hands. Pro-Registration KO’s one non-Rare Hero from every Anti-Registration hand.
Commander Strike: The highest-cost non-Rare Hero in the Anti-Registration HQ is KO’d. They are replaced by this Strike card, and the Anti-Registration HQ has one less space. Anti-Registration can remove one Strike card by recruiting a Rare Hero. That space is then empty as if it had been attacked.
Pro-Registration Wins: When the Anti-Registration HQ is empty.
Attack: 12

Commander Tactics:

The Life Model Decoy of Tony Stark: If this is not Iron Man’s last Commander Tactic, place it at the bottom of Iron Man’s Commander Tactics.
We Have a Hulk: The highest-cost non-Rare Hero in the Anti-Registration HQ is attacked with 12 attack.
It’s Everybody up Here or Everybody Down There: Each Pro-Registration player draws a card or, after drawing your next hand, each Anti-Registration player discards a card.
I am Iron Man: This Commander gets a permanent +2 Attack.

CAPTAIN AMERICA Captain America’s plot twists, command strikes, and victory condition are all based on the idea that Steve Rogers tries to get people to see why superheroes need their freedom from the government. By convincing everyone on Pro-Registration to see his point of view, Anti-Registration wins the civil war.
Plot Twist: Starting with the next player, Anti-Registration recruit one non-Rare Hero each from the Pro-Registration HQ (replace each Hero before the next player recruits) for free.
Commander Strike: Each non-Rare Hero in the Pro-Registration HQ gets a permanent +1 Recruit cost (this does not count as attack when the HQ is attacked). One strike is removed when Pro-Registration recruits a Rare Hero.
Anti-Registration Wins: When Anti-Registration collectively has one of each Pro-Registration Hero in their hands.
Attack: 8
Elusive 6
Captain America doesn’t quite have the firepower Iron Man does, but he does have one advantage; his base of operations has to be found, and it moves quick.

Commander Tactics:
You Get Killed? Walk it Off:
This Commander now has Elusive 8 instead of Elusive 6.
On Your Left: The next Pro-Registration player skips their turn.
We’re Taking Down S.H.I.E.L.D: Pro-Registration reveals their hands. One non-Rare Hero is taken from each of those hands and recruited by Anti-Registration. Each Anti-Registration player only gains one Hero this way.
This Isn’t Freedom, This is Fear: Anti-Registration chooses any of the current non-Rare Heroes in the Pro-Registration HQ to be placed at the bottom of the Pro-Registration Hero Deck.

FOR 6 PLAYER GAMES, EACH PLAYER STARTS WITH:

3 S.H.I.E.L.D Troopers, 6 S.H.I.E.L.D Agents, 1 HYDRA Soldier, 2 HYDRA Operatives. This is because S.H.I.E.L.D and HYDRA have different team icons, which can affect gameplay.
- or -
3 S.H.I.E.L.D Troopers, 6 S.H.I.E.L.D Agents, 1 Sidekick, 1 S.H.I.E.L.D Officer, and 1 Wound. This is weaker, but an option for those who don’t have Villains.

Note: These Hero options also include the currently-not-released Captain America 75th Anniversary Edition 100 card expansion.
PRO-REGISTRATION:
Commander: IRON MAN
Hero Deck:

Iron Man (required)
- Superior Iron Man
Thor
- Lady Thor
Deadpool
Black Widow
Bullseye
Green Goblin
Dr. Octopus
Blade
Bishop
Venom
- Agent Venom
Shang-Chi
Mr. Fantastic
Captain Marvel Both the male Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers are Pro-Registration
Beast
Black Cat
Captain America (Falcon) Falcon, not Steve Rogers, is Pro-Registration

ANTI-REGISTRATION:
Commander: CAPTAIN AMERICA
Hero Deck:

Captain America (required)
- Steve Rogers, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D
- Captain America 1941
- The Captain and the Devil
Storm
Wolverine
- Weapon X
- Old Man Logan
Nick Fury
Spider-Woman
The Punisher
- Dr. Punisher, Soldier Supreme
Iron Fist
Domino
Daredevil
Cable
Invisible Woman
Human Torch
Dr. Strange
- Dr. Punisher, Soldier Supreme
Black Panther
Winter Soldier

Note: Any variants on a Hero, such as Old Man Logan or Superior Iron Man, are listed in unordered lists under their base Hero. That team can only choose one variant of a Hero. In example, Anti-Registration cannot have both Weapon X and Wolverine. If Dr. Punisher, Soldier Supreme is chosen, Dr. Strange and The Punisher are both off-limits.

Optional modifiers:
- Remove every instance of the phrase “non-Rare” from the rules. Iron Man’s Command Strike KO’s the highest-cost Hero in the Anti-Registration HQ, for example.
- Remove all variants from Hero decks, so the Hero decks are canon to the comics.
- Add a Mastermind to the board. Their Master Strikes affect everyone. Completely defeating this Mastermind removes it from the game, and the game continues. If you choose to use Final Showdown, do so with everyone on this Mastermind.

Plans for the future:
- Rename all the Commander Tactics to be quotes from the Civil War comic line, not the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Add limitations to Villain and Henchmen groups to make them canon.
- Make cards for the Commanders and their Tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that this is a really cool concept!

That said, I think the ruleset as you've written them is really unbalanced towards the Anti-Reg side.

For starters, Attack 8 with Elusive 6 is A LOT harder to hit than plain Attack 12. The attack cards usually combo off each other and creating a focused attack deck is easier than the balanced deck required to hit a character with Elusive.

Secondly, in a 2 player game, the Anti Reg could theoretically win in 3 turns. If the Pro-Reg player gets 3 twists one after the other, the Anti-Reg gets 3 recruits and the game. The Pro-Reg player needs all 5 of their Master Strikes (of which there are less in the deck, and they all need to trigger on their turn) in order to even have a chance at hitting their win condition.

And this in unrelated to the above points, but just out of curiousity - why are there less Scheme Twists than Plot Twists? That seems really odd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget: the Civil War expansion is actually being released this summer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rea
msg tools
IronSyndicate wrote:
Let me start by saying that this is a really cool concept!

That said, I think the ruleset as you've written them is really unbalanced towards the Anti-Reg side.

For starters, Attack 8 with Elusive 6 is A LOT harder to hit than plain Attack 12. The attack cards usually combo off each other and creating a focused attack deck is easier than the balanced deck required to hit a character with Elusive.

Secondly, in a 2 player game, the Anti Reg could theoretically win in 3 turns. If the Pro-Reg player gets 3 twists one after the other, the Anti-Reg gets 3 recruits and the game. The Pro-Reg player needs all 5 of their Master Strikes (of which there are less in the deck, and they all need to trigger on their turn) in order to even have a chance at hitting their win condition.

And this in unrelated to the above points, but just out of curiousity - why are there less Scheme Twists than Plot Twists? That seems really odd...

Elusive 6 is harder to hit, yes, but in the games I've played, both teams end up being close to winning before one does. We even had a game where Cap had 3 Tactics left while Iron Man had 1, and Pro still won. If you don't think that that is balanced, I encourage trying with lower Elusive, or with Cap having 12 Attack and no Elusive (I wanted to avoid this to have the two teams be noticeably different). If you do, let me know how it goes, I'm trying to balance this as much as possible!

You are correct about the 2 player condition. I'll look into alternate win conditions for Cap if there are only 2 players. Thanks for noticing that!

There are fewer Scheme Twists because the base game only comes with 11 Scheme Twists, but Villains comes with 12 Plot Twists.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thud105 wrote:
Also, don't forget: the Civil War expansion is actually being released this summer!

That is true! I'm still skeptical about how hard they're going to change the gameplay to make it a Civil War, though. Plus, that's this summer, and I figured that maybe some would want a detailed Civil War before that's released.

If I feel Devin Low's Civil War isn't, for lack of a better word, "civil war-y" enough, I'll add in the new Heroes, and look at adding whatever Masterminds/Commanders they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Having Thor in the Pro-Reg side would be sufficient to make the Captain America commander quite easy to hit, elusive notwithstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.