So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games Age of Steam, SNCF, and Steam all have rich fan-made maps to play with the base rules (or with some rule changes). However, I've not been able to find a similar ecosystem for the Trans* franchise despite the fact that it makes perfect sense for there to be one. I'd like to think that I've just missed the fan maps, so if you know of any then I'd love to try any and all.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Trouble is, in a game where the rules are so straightforward, the exact structure of the map has an immense, almost make-or-break effect on how good the game is to play. Everyone I know who's tried both says that Trans Europa plays very differently (and most find it inferior).

So you'd have to be very careful with fan-made maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Everyone I know who's tried both says that Trans Europa plays very differently (and most find it inferior).

I'd say the opposite. You nearly always have to leave the US West Coast until last, and both US ocean coasts are wont to one player bridging the mountains and another player stealing the win.

On the Europa map, the worst thing to be said (I think) is that playing your middle city is often a good automatic first move. (And with Vexation, Europa has some obvious choke points.)

As to why no fan maps, I don't think the structure is that critical. But, the Trans games are often underestimated and treated as a gateway to TtR, 20th Century Limited, or some other train game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hao Cheng
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Chinese version/map is under development?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
There's an electronic version in the weblinks section that has a bunch of different maps in it.

There used to be other resources out on the web, too; it's been a long time since I looked or cared, so I can't say what's out there now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
You'd need to make new cards. That's the main reason why there are no fan made maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
You'd need to make new cards. That's the main reason why there are no fan made maps.

Doubt it: cards are easy using sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Given its level of popularity and the additional overhead it requires todo a nice job of them it is the reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. C. DeMarco
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to find some analysis of the existing maps here to help me fan-make a map, but no dice. Maybe I'll start off with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.