Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to how this will work as I've never seen a company run a separate crowd funding campaign prior to a Kickstarter.

Will the money raised through pre-orders reduce the overall Kickstarter funding goal?
Will the Kickstarter have stretch goals?
Will preorders and Kickstarters receive the same package?
Will preorders and Kickstarters ship at the same time?
Will preorder and Kickstarter prices be the same?

I'm really interested in Zephyr, but I'm trying to figure out if preordering or Kickstarting is a better deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'm curious as to how this will work as I've never seen a company run a separate crowd funding campaign prior to a Kickstarter.

Will the money raised through pre-orders reduce the overall Kickstarter funding goal?
Will the Kickstarter have stretch goals?
Will preorders and Kickstarters receive the same package?
Will preorders and Kickstarters ship at the same time?
Will preorder and Kickstarter prices be the same?

I'm really interested in Zephyr, but I'm trying to figure out if preordering or Kickstarting is a better deal.

Great questions Jason. The money raised in the pre-orders is reducing our overall project costs. However Kickstarter has its own costs which are not represented on our pre-order site so it will not be an exact reduction.

Our Kickstarter will have stretch goals that will give component upgrades and additions.

Pre-orders levels will receive the same package as their matching levels on Kickstarter.

Pre-orders will be fulfilled in the same shipment as the Kickstarter backers.

Pre-order prices are cheaper than their equivalent Kickstarter levels.

The base game will cost $55 through Kickstarter with an additional charge for shipping. Right now you can get it for $50 on our site and there is a coupon for the first 50 people who use "getzephyr" for 10% off. If you are in the US this puts your total cost at $55. Of course this is an example and the 10% applies to all levels.

So you know pre-orders on the Zephyrboardgame.com site will be closed down soon to focus on the Kickstarter campaign.

I hope that answered your questions. Please let me know if you have any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

One more, will there be add-ons available during the Kickstarter that pre-orders won't have access to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Thank you.

One more, will there be add-ons available during the Kickstarter that pre-orders won't have access to?

Yes there will be add-ons available to all kickstarter levels in the form of a base and deluxe wooden boxes as well as metal dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notacomputer wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Thank you.

Yes there will be add-ons available to all kickstarter levels in the form of a base and deluxe wooden boxes as well as metal dice.

Will pre-order buyers be able to purchase those add-ons? How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
notacomputer wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Thank you.

Will pre-order buyers be able to purchase those add-ons? How?

Individuals who pre-order will be able to purchase add ons by backing the kickstarter at the $1 level and upping their pledge amount to match the ad dons they desire. Add ons have their own shipping so the cost is no different than backing on the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For your information, Zephyr: Winds of Change pre-orders are no longer available on our website (http://www.zephyrboardgame.com/) until after the kickstarter completes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notacomputer wrote:
For your information, Zephyr: Winds of Change pre-orders are no longer available on our website (http://www.zephyrboardgame.com/) until after the kickstarter completes.

I guess that makes the decision easier.

The game looks great, I'll definitely be checking out the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I guess that makes the decision easier.

The game looks great, I'll definitely be checking out the campaign!

Thanks Jason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to how the money raised in the pre-order has factored into the KS campaign goal. $50K is an ambitious goal and will require nearly 1,000 backers, I thought it would be lower considering the funds already raised.

Of course, I wholeheartedly acknowledge a complete ignorance of game manufacturing finances. I'm just wondering if the campaign wouldn't be doing better if the end goal was within easier reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kickstarter does charge a decent fee for their service and credit card processing. However, the biggest hurt for the goal is that shipping is included in the goal in most campaigns. Some have started charging shipping after the campaign but we felt as a new company this would be a turn off for most backers. We also lowered the price to encourage more backers. Our original plan was to charge more for the game and shipping on top of it for all backers but we are instead absorbing much of the shipping cost which requires our goal to be a bit higher. Our goal is set at the exact amount we need to produce the game. If we set the goal lower we risked having to sacrifice game quality in order to produce. Our goal is to make a quality product and this is how we selected our funding goal.

Our biggest challenge is getting people to know about the campaign. We are a small company with little to no name recognition so just showing up on kickstarter didn't fund us and that's ok. Without a large following for our company or franchise we need to be creative with how we reach people. Though we have been investing in ads, gorilla marketing is going to be our best bet. We need to hit reddit, twitter and bgg forums like this to continue the conversation about Zephyr. This is something I have been working on for a while. However, as soon as the creator starts talking about their project many people stop listening especially on reddit.

I wish I could give guarantees but I can't. All we can do is keep sharing the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notacomputer wrote:
Our goal is set at the exact amount we need to produce the game. If we set the goal lower we risked having to sacrifice game quality in order to produce. Our goal is to make a quality product and this is how we selected our funding goal.

That's a highlight for me, not a detractor. I've seen campaigns cancel after successfully funding because they didn't set their goal to a realistic level. I'm all for shooting for what you need.

notacomputer wrote:
We need to hit reddit, twitter and bgg forums like this to continue the conversation about Zephyr. This is something I have been working on for a while. However, as soon as the creator starts talking about their project many people stop listening especially on reddit.

We can help you out a bit here. Reddit is a tricky beast and they'll delete any thread created by a project designer or publisher. They'll also delete it if you encourage backers to upvote it in other places like the KS forum or here on BGG. My Reddit Kung Fu is weak, but I'll add to the conversation and throw in an upvote if someone with more wasta than I posts something. Also, you are allowed to host 1 AMA during the campaign, I'd take advantage of that.

Unlike BGG proper, the BGG Facebook page allows direct links to Kickstarter campaigns. Go ahead and throw something up there. There's an ungodly number of subscribers to that page and it helps get information to the "outside" more than posting here.

As far as solo players are concerned, updating the game in the Solo Kickstarter Geeklist is a great way to bring it to the attention of the 1 Player Guild. Ricky's video is already posted and his opinion is held in very high regard in the 1PG. Posting new stuff there will bump it for subscribers.

Last, post as much art and information into the BGG entry as you can. The more people that interact with it, the higher the hotness, and the higher the visibility. This game has a very cool, unique look that will turn heads if given the chance!

Good luck! Check out the Kickstarter for Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game for inspiration. It actually started slower than Zephyr has, but maintained momentum and finished strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mietling
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have posted in the bgg kickstarter thread and am going to be looking for more https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/22275693#22275693

Like you said the more we can get people interacting with the bgg posts the better. I think I am gonna call on our community on the ks to help out here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.