Subject: March Madness this year? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or did it get a little too toxic after the Puerto Rico over Android Netrunner upset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Or did it get a little too toxic after the Puerto Rico over Android Netrunner upset?

I asked Brian, since I run the Minor League, which kind of depends on the MM, and he said he is considering stepping down. In his own words:

ColtsFan76 wrote:
I honestly think I am going to step down from it. I haven't made a final decision and if I do step down, will announce and try to find someone who cares to put the time in. I was really soured by it all last year and never came up with a good fix for this year. So I really don't look forward to diving in again.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont get me wrong, I like both mayor and minor league, but is not a little weird to run the minor league and not the mayor one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:
Dont get me wrong, I like both mayor and minor league, but is not a little weird to run the minor league and not the mayor one?

The main contest requires very significant time and effort to run. So far, no one has stepped up to run it, so the minor contest is the only option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I blame Brian. Last March/early April was not a time to be proud of being a geek. There are some users who went way to far with their opposition and should be ashamed of their behavior. Attacking someone on a personal level for a popularity poll with no real consequences that result from it is beneath contempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
vica8081 wrote:

The main contest requires very significant time and effort to run. So far, no one has stepped up to run it, so the minor contest is the only option.

Indeed is not usual and is not to my liking - I much rather to do it along side its big brother. But for the Minors I'm responsible for it and can do it. The other, I'm not and can't.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
vica8081 wrote:

I bet you could greatly simplify it and reduce the amount of effort required, while getting pretty much the same end results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
I bet you could greatly simplify it and reduce the amount of effort required, while getting pretty much the same end results.

Maybe, but no one is volunteering to run it, or at least improve the efficiency of the methodology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I honestly think I am going to step down from it. I haven't made a final decision and if I do step down, will announce and try to find someone who cares to put the time in. I was really soured by it all last year and never came up with a good fix for this year. So I really don't look forward to diving in again.

Aw, dang. I did expect it, though.

It did seem the nature of the event changed during the years - when I started following it, it was a bgg event which allowed more stupidity and banter than usual bgg tolerance, so it was like some sort of carnival, a special place apart from the everyday going ons. The main "component" of GM was ATer VS Eurogame banter, cheering, booing and other words depicting a sports fan type behaviour that was nonetheless fun. (at least for me)

As the event became big enough for gaming communities outside of bgg took notice, the nature of it changed - what was a fun banter between bgg regulars, became serious, evil misbehavior and yeah, last year I felt many people took it way too seriously.

No idea where to go from now. I see just one obvious candidate with both willingness, commitment and enjoying respect from the community - Tony Ackroyd (1000rpm). So I'd suggest if Brians to step down to ask Tony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoyed The Madness. I thought the way Coltsfan was treated by a large # people last year was really disappointing. Taking shots at other posters and their games = fine. Whining at Coltsfan relentlessly because your game didn't win = crappy and why we can't have nice things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RCH RCH
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Class of 2004
badge
It's not Jackie Chan!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad the Madness won't continue this year, but I expected it after the issues last year. And, honestly, if the drama had continued from last year, this year wouldn't have been any fun anyway, so maybe it's for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't blame Brian one bit after all the unpleasantness last year. Still, I'm really sad about this. GM and the Derk Cup (which we seem to have lost too) were the most fun community events on BGG for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It was fun when it was fun.

Like most things of this nature, when people started taking it too seriously, it ceased to be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
I don't blame Brian one bit after all the unpleasantness last year. Still, I'm really sad about this. GM and the Derk Cup (which we seem to have lost too) were the most fun community events on BGG for me.

Agreed on both counts. Definitely wouldn't ask or expect Brian to put a ton of work and effort into something that's not fun for him or us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Brian has a choice. He has to do it. He has created this great BGG tradition and he can't just not do it. Does Santa cancel Christmas? Does he step down because there were too many kids in the naughty list last year? Does he ask the Easter Bunny to take over? Come on Coltsfan, don't be like a Patriotsfan. Let's keep this going. The community wants and, I am sure, will wholeheartedly support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I don't think Brian has a choice. He has to do it. He has created this great BGG tradition and he can't just not do it. Does Santa cancel Christmas? Does he step down because there were too many kids in the naughty list last year? Does he ask the Easter Bunny to take over? Come on Coltsfan, don't be like a Patriotsfan. Let's keep this going. The community wants and, I am sure, will wholeheartedly support it.

You could always volunteer to run it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: March Madness this year
downeymb wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

You could always volunteer to run it.

And so could you, what is your point?

The point of my post is to recognize the great thing that Brian has created and that although we recognized how difficult and toxic things were last year, we are here to support him carry on.

We don't want it to stop and we want him to run it. It will not be the same if anyone else does it. While even the most narrow minded of us would respect any decision he makes, we should make sure he knows that we are still here to support him and the Madness if he chooses to do the right thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably best left dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

Why would you think that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Because last year, with all that happened, I know a lot of people who were driven away from BGG, or people who would have been great additions to the BGG family whose opinion was soured because of the contest.

I think if it is actively driving people away/turning off new people, it's probably for the best that it's gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a "loose statement" to say that people were driven away "due to the contest".

It brought a lot of joy to the community over the years. I personally think it will be a tremendous victory to the people who were whining about the results last year and who openly insulted Brian.

I wonder what message not running MM this year will send. I think it will empower this kind of behavior within our community.

Sincerely, I was never an avid participant of MM but I was embarrassed with the way Coltsfan was insulted and by all the whining.

I would be very cautious in empowering that kind of behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
He has created this great BGG tradition and he can't just not do it.

Not really - check Geekmadness wiki
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_Madness

The originator was Sky Knight X who ran it from 2004 to 2008.
Sky Knight then passed the torch to Brian / ColtsFan76 who ran it from 2009 to 2015 (as of now).

So, a new person taking over wouldn't be odd.
Also in 2009 there was a bit of delay because of the new organiser (Brian).
Ronaldo wrote:
We don't want it to stop and we want him to run it. It will not be the same if anyone else does it.

It is his choice, after all, whatever the choice would be. It'd be great if he ran it again. If somebody else would, then somebody else would.

Things changed during the years even with the same organizer - when I first "participated" GM was a place of ameritrash VS euro clashes, skirmishes and banter, which is a thing of a past for at least 2 years now. If GM survives, it will probably be different in tone, because of last year.

I went to read last year's geeklists and apart from the whole A:NR I found it decent enough (and fun). But A:NR did cast shadow on the finals, results have never been officially announced (they're not on geekmadness wiki page) so I guess the first step forward would be giving some sort of epilogue to 2015.

jageroxorz wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

Because last year, with all that happened, I know a lot of people who were driven away from BGG, or people who would have been great additions to the BGG family whose opinion was soured because of the contest.

I think if it is actively driving people away/turning off new people, it's probably for the best that it's gone.

I don't know about driving people away. I (of course) saw the tournament as a bgg regulars event, a sort of carnival, where different rules applied to bgg's normal routine. Newcomers were explained what the idea was, whether or not they gelled with it is their thing.

The damage though was done - I would see the tournament either started a bit later this year, or having a hiatus (with possible substitute tournament) with the idea of letting things calm down a bit, have some collective introspection and figure out a way forward. Because, it was fun, and Tony's little polls still are fun (even if run on a much smaller scale), so why not?

just my 0.02 of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newcomers were told "You aren't welcome here at BGG", so they left and never came back. I saw this personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
But for the Minors I'm responsible for it and can do it.

Is there a subscription thread to follow for the minors? I got into it mid-season last year when the other one was starting to get too crazy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Newcomers were told "You aren't welcome here at BGG", so they left and never came back. I saw this personally.

Really? I never saw this, and I read the threads multiple times. There were plenty of people anti-shillbot. And some people said things like "I hope they aren't signing up just to vote in this and then never coming back". That was the strongest "anti-newcomer" sentiment I got.

*IF* it happened as you say, I am guessing it was one or two people, and you're giving them a lot of power to bring down the entire Madness by being rude to the newcomers. There certainly was no "anti-newcomer" chorus, most were very welcoming, as we always are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.