Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm french so sorry for my english...

I bought Battalia and just read the rules, something i don't understand... Why put an Hero in an existing fight ?

If a City is under attack and if we have an Hero in it, why put him in the combat ?? In the same way if one of our Hero is fighting, why invole the second ?? I don't understand... A Hero can attack but only cards give us strenght point not the Hero...

Thank you for your answers and for understanding me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, having a hero present AND having all cards of the same color in your battle line will give you a plus 1 bonus in the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. This seems to he the only reason unless you are using character sheets and need a particular ability available in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
If I remember correctly, having a hero present AND having all cards of the same color in your battle line will give you a plus 1 bonus in the battle.

Yup!

bobacles wrote:
Right. This seems to he the only reason unless you are using character sheets and need a particular ability available in battle.

And yup again!

So unless you want to use hero abilities (which I have not tried yet so I don't know how relevant they are) then I find that risking your hero for the +1 is likely not worth it. It will make the difference sometimes... but more often it won't (since you only get the bonus for playing only cards in your color) and could cost you your hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunn
United Kingdom
Ashby-de-la-Zouch
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I’m surprised at the Hero rules and how ineffective the Hero is in battle. It only provides +1 combat strength, and that’s if all cards in the battle line are the same faction, otherwise it’s zero. And an opponent can attack and conquer your city from right underneath your Hero as if (s)he doesn’t exist!

I would have thought:

(a) the Hero should provide a combat strength of a fixed amount, say 4
(b) if an opponent attacks a city with the Hero on it, (s)he must defeat the Hero first before being able to try to conquer the city
(c) you shouldn’t be able to just move past and ignore a Hero if one is encountered during movement

With the rules as per the rulebook, the Heroes can move about the board basically ignoring each other, having almost no defensive abilities and therefore cannot be used tactically to defend a key city or even block an opponent’s movement. Not very heroic at all really!

ps: please correct me if I’m wrong, have only had one practice solo game, albeit a very long one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
What you have to understand about current version of Battalia is that the rules and components are weird result of a KS amok. There's a lot of stuff that's in there for (apparently) future purposes and to confuse the hell out of you. Some rules described in the base rulebook are there to lay the groundwork for the expansion(s). Hero +1 bonus is (I suspect) one of them. When you consider the hero abilities (KS exclusive addon), having a Hero suddenly makes slightly more sense. I'd still agree though, that involving hero in a city fight is a pretty stupid move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.