Popular Tags: [View All]
Artem Trytiak
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

It's written 90 minutes for game but yesterday it took almost 3 hours to play Gates of Arkham versus Azatot. Any advice how to speed up gameplay?

We played with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Ramirez
Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three hours? Was it your first time playing the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief! Did you calculate all the probabilities in full each time you had to select an Adventure? Man, that is way too long: this is a light, dice chucker. Even Arkham Horror doesn't usually take us much longer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Three hours is a tad long. Your first playthrough of the expansions would possibly require 90-120 minutes, and then, after a few games, you should keep it considerably shorter. My games (unless they end up in a brutal defeat) last usually 40-50 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
delphinidae wrote:
Three hours? Was it your first time playing the expansion?

Yes, we are playing expansion first time but we are not new to board games.

mccrispy wrote:
Good grief! Did you calculate all the probabilities in full each time you had to select an Adventure? Man, that is way too long: this is a light, dice chucker. Even Arkham Horror doesn't usually take us much longer!

I love Arkham Horror this why i got Elder Sign + Gates because of theme and wanted something lite when do not have time to play full Arkham Horror game.

My wife and i were trying to get elder signs but not too much of them were available and only in red hard streets. So we did some leveling (got few ally / skills) and then started red adventures. So we were around 10/14 elder signs when Myth came and dropped 2 of them to 8/14 again... I don't know why but it took VERY long Ender sign without Gates of Arkham takes around 90 minutes.

Few questions:

1. Should hero return to Starting card Streets of Arkham when closes Other World?

2. Does it take 3 hours to buy something in Street start card same as Museum entrance for base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtyomTrityak wrote:
Few questions:

1. Should hero return to Starting card Streets of Arkham when closes Other World?
Well, the rules say
on page three it is wrote:
During an investigator’s Movement phase, he may remain on his current card, move to any other Arkham Adventure or Other World card in the play area, or move to the Streets of Arkham card. When an Adventure or Other World card is successfully resolved, or otherwise discarded, all investigators on that card return to the Streets of Arkham card.
So that's a yes.

Quote:
2. Does it take 3 hours to buy something in Street start card same as Museum entrance for base game?
It takes a turn. So yes, 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, this case we played following rules, no idea why it look so long We will try today with some other Ancient one.

Any advice how to make game faster? Don't think just go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you will play, the faster it gets.

That is a general rule for all games.

But I am a slow player too ... and most players underestimate their game time any way.

I played ES around 40 times and it takes around 2 hours to finish it, set up time NOT included.

This "short playing time" interpretation was already noticed by me 40 years ago when such monster games like Wellington's Victory or War in the East with 3000 ... counters would be rated as 80 hours games.

While in reality they took 400 hours or more

Set up time alone for ES AH is at least 5-10 minutes ... IF cards were pre sorted from the base game that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

But I am a slow player too ... and most players underestimate their game time any way.

I played ES around 40 times and it takes around 2 hours to finish it, set up time NOT included.

This "short playing time" interpretation was already noticed by me 40 years ago when such monster games like Wellington's Victory or War in the East with 3000 ... counters would be rated as 80 hours games.

Set up time alone for ES AH is at least 5-10 minutes ... IF cards were pre sorted from the base game that is.
I love it when folks decide that "everyone else is wrong" So you're not super-slow, it's everyone else under-reporting their playing time? Hilarious. BTW, on what data do you base your assertion that "most players underestimate their game time"?

(All ribbing aside, I understand that we're gamers, so even reporting play times can be subject to competiveness and "meta")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
[q="ArtyomTrityak"]
Quote:

Lol, we've always called it 15 minutes. Which would make things more dire as we only have a few hours instead of a few days

Anyways, I don't know about 3 hours, but, I do think GoA can take a lot longer than base ES. Especially when you don't draw many cards that add to the doom track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mccrispy wrote:
Ben_Bos wrote:

I love it when folks decide that "everyone else is wrong" So you're not super-slow, it's everyone else under-reporting their playing time? Hilarious. BTW, on what data do you base your assertion that "most players underestimate their game time"?

(All ribbing aside, I understand that we're gamers, so even reporting play times can be subject to competiveness and "meta")

That was the guy who insisted everyone who claimed base Elder Sign was too easy was lying/cheating.

My solo play times were usually about an hour and a half before I got Gates of Arkham. With GoA, that's increased to 2 hours or more. But of course a solo game is slower anyway, because I can't think about my turn on other players' turns, because they're all my turns!

Speeding the game up is simply a matter of people taking their turns quicker. There's not much else you can do. Plan ahead where possible so you don't need to think too much on your turn. Play cards, roll dice. Don't dither. (Am I listening, me? I hope I'm going to take my advice!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. My solo plays tend to be faster than plays with multiple people. It surprises me the any solo play would take longer, simply because adding players adds communication and 'wait' time (passing dice, etc). When I play solo, I know exactly what I want to do - or if I don't, the only discussion is in my head - and I set the game up to be easily accessible just for me. I play solo games a lot - A Touch of Evil, Elder Sign, Sentinels, Lords of Waterdeep - and generally speaking, none of those take more than an hour. (First play a AToE with Something Wicked took quite a bit longer, but that started with "opening the SW box and punching it out" and it had been a while since I played base game.)

I've played with Gates twice, once solo and once with two players, and I don't think it took much more than an hour or 1 1/2.

That said, I know this is highly variable based on players, AO's, investigators, and of course how the cards come out.

Familiarity will bring speed of course. And sometimes I've stretched a game out by being really into the theme and the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
That said, I know this is highly variable based on players, AO's, investigators, and of course how the cards come out.
And the dice, don't forget the blasted dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm slow because, like Mage Knight Boardgame (talk about long sessions), I DO hyperanalyze all my potential choices, min maxing the risk/reward before deciding. I also just fold if someone is devoured too early on (I don't create new investigators) in order to try again with less risk of wasted time (losing is fine, but if it's obvious I'd rather start over).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadArkive wrote:
I'm slow because, like Mage Knight Boardgame (talk about long sessions), I DO hyperanalyze all my potential choices, min maxing the risk/reward before deciding.

You may want to check out this file here, then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last 2 times we won, it took ~1.5 hour but we did battles with Ancient One

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Quote:

From what I understood there is no additional time required to perform an action on the Streets of Arkham card. In the core game performing an action on the Entrance card takes a full turn (3 hours), while in Gates of Arkham it is only part of a turn.

If you are on the Streets of Arkham card at the beginnig of your turn, you may:
- move to an adventure card and attempt the adventure
- pay two trophies to heal/flip/discard and move to attempt an adventure (if you pay to perform an action, you have to move to an adventure)
- stay and do nothing.

If you are on an adventure card at the beginning of your turn you may:
- stay and resolve the adventure again
- move to another adventure card and resolve it
- move to the Streets of Arkham , pay two trophies to heal/flip/discard and move to an adventure
- move to the Streets of Arkham , stay and do nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is really awesome! Now we can heal and go to adventure same turn, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
BTW, on what data do you base your assertion that "most players underestimate their game time"?
Personally, I count setup and breakdown of a game as part of the play time. I've found that many players don't do that, resulting in a noticeable discrepancy.

Our usual game group is unfortunately really slow. I'm a bit AP-prone, and one other player is extremely AP-prone. E.g. he likes to calculate the odds for everything before deciding on what to do, where to go, and rolling any dice.

Edit: My first solo GoA game (playing two investigators) took about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.