Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

About 6 nimmt!:

1) What is it?
6 nimmt! is an entertaining card game, from Wolfgang Kramer (El Grande, Tikal, etc), in which the goal is to take as few as possible points. Is all about hand management, considering not only the card you want to play, but also what the other players might.

Unlike some of its kind, 6 nimmt! seems to work in different ways:
- Up to 3 players: more control, some fun;
- From 4 to 6 players: less control, great deal of fun;
- From 7 to 10 players: enough chaos to kill a bull.

2) How do you play?
In every round players are required to pick a card from their hand and put it in a row, accordingly to the closest number of it already at the table - so, if I pick the 37 card and in the table there is a 34 in a row and a 41 in other, I would put the 36 next to the 34, for instance. If the card chosen has a lower value than the last card in all the rows, the player choses one row and take all the cards in it, then adds her own card there, to start a new row.

If the card stacks nicely in the row, while it isn't the 6th in that row, is all good. But if it is the 6th you will take all the cards in the row, except your own just used.

Everyone reveals the card chosen at the same time, and play goes from the lower numbered card to the highest, which can mean that, a row you thought you would add the fourth card in, well, someone added one there first now you are the one adding the sixth card and must take all the other cards in the row! This is also valid in the other way around, as you might thought you are bound to take a row of cards, but someone took it first, and now your cards enters without risk in a row.

Cards have bull icons that go from 1 to 7, and these counts as points at the end of the round (when all cards in the hands are used). Points are tallied and if no one reaches the limit (usually 66 or 100, depending on the amount of time players want to play), play continues. If someone did reach or passed the limit, the game is over, and the player that took the least amount of points is the winner!

3) Which are the decisions made during play?
Which card to play considering the numbers on the rows.

I could add "also considering the cards the other players might play", but this would not be true, except when playing with 10 people, in later rounds if you have enough memory to remember dozens of played cards, in order to count cards, and you still could be wrong, as at least 4 cards will be out of the round (but you could argue to reveal them after dealing the cards). In other words: no. You just can't really know what the others might play, but at least picking one is easier this way, as there is little reason to AP a given choice.

4) What are the good things in the game?
- Easy to learn and to play;
- With the simultaneous selection, regardless of the number of players, there is almost zero downtime;
- Accommodates up to 10 players;
- With the 104 cards that the game comes with, is possible to play several other card games;
- Playing time (limit of points) can be set by the players.

5) Which are the bad news?
- Luck plays a big role and can decide the winner;
- All other bad things derive from the luck factor: risk taking without information (you can pick a card with low chance of risk and ended up screwed, and vice-versa), which makes the game almost be a press-your-luck type;
- Player decisions, though they have weight and matter, are limited by the unknown and the chaotic nature of 6 nimmt!.

6) How do you feel while playing?
Just 'chilling. 6 nimmt! is an extended filler, one played without worries or even too much thought. You can play while chatting, drinking and not all that concentrated in what is going on - just giving a good look on the cards at the table and picking one from your hand that might work well.

It all works very nicely, and although there is plenty of luck built in the gameplay, 6 nimmt! is very light and fun, especially when playing with a high number of players (as there is almost no downtime with the simultaneous choice).

While 6 nimmt! might not work with some people, it is more likely to go well with many more. It can appeal to people from different ages and skill levels, going from weekends at grandma's to veteran gaming groups.

I like 6 nimmt! and it goes well recommended.

Regards,

Image credit: W Eric Martin

To read others reviews in the same format and/or follow new ones, go to or subscribe to this geeklist: Down to the basic reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:

5) Which are the bad news?
- Luck plays a big role and can decide the winner;
- All other bad things derive from the luck factor: risk taking without information (you can pick a card with low chance of risk and ended up screwed, and vice-versa), which makes the game almost be a press-your-luck type;
- Player decisions, though they have weight and matter, are limited by the unknown and the chaotic nature of 6 nimmt!.

Thanks for the review!

I would note that the luck factor is easily ameliorated:

Ensure the number of rows match or exceed the number of players (9 players should have at least 9 rows to play on)

Ensure that there are no gaps in the sequence of cards in play.

Play "Take 5" rather than "Take 6" (i.e. shorter rows)

There are other minor changes, such as dealing fewer cards to each player (so you don't run out). You'll find that, even with ten players, the game becomes very strategic.

Finally, note that the two player game is perfect information - you know exactly what cards your opponent has - so the only real luck is deciding whether you should choose the "wine in front of you"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you still use all the cards regardless of the number of players, but only deal out 10 per player. Is the 2-player version different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you still use all the cards regardless of the number of players, but only deal out 10 per player. Is the 2-player version different?

No it is not.
And Sight Reader is very wrong about most (or all?) of his statements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
Quote:

No it is not.
And Sight Reader is very wrong about most (or all?) of his statements.

Gee, thanks.

To elucidate, if you have 7 players, use only the cards 1-77 (no gaps), deal 10 to each player and use the remaining cards to start 7 rows.

I recommend playing Take Five (5th rather than 6th card in row causes collapse). The enclosed videos goes even lower, to Take 4.

I would not go less than 4 rows. So, if you're playing with two, only use cards 1-24 with 4 rows (perfect information game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.