Subject: Fan army : MIT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creating the Ice Warriors, i (re)discovered my old Doomkenstein and thought it had some good ideas. I reworked on it and created: The MIT!

Researchers of the MIT did not fear the apocalypse, as they had access to a lot of technology and knowledge. So they created drones and machines, they synthetized Sharrash venom or Mephisto poison, studied Steel Police Shield, etc.

The general idea: only 5 damaging units, lethal but slow and weak. A lot of impeding units.

Some rule points:
HQ: at the end of a battle, you may take one of the destroyed (owned) units and draw it next turn. You cannot take again one of the 5 attacking units.

Interference: no other player can play Action tiles before next turn (Terror counterpart).

Jammer: i have an hesitation on that one, platests will tell.
Rule A: enemy modules and HQs do not give bonus any more.
Rule B: enemy units cannot use on-tile-actions (move, pushback, etc.)

Field officer: you can store an action tile on this, and use it another turn

Net thrower: has a 'net' token on itself, that can be thrown on any unit (not HQ). The token respawns after each battle. An enemy unit keeps the 'Net' token until the end of the next battle, even if the net thrower is killed.

Playtests
As surprising as it may be, army seems quite balanced after some playtests. Army is quite interesting to

play, you tend to keep the few attacking units you have to be sure they be useful.
More playtests to come.
More playtests have occured and the amry is confirmed balanced. That was quick! After just minor changers, army is released in 1.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very curious about the playability, I'm surprised it succeeds at being balanced.
That 5 Strength Melee attack... wow surprise

What does the Module symbol means on the Wall and Blob though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More playtests have occured and, aside some minor adjustments, i'm very pleased with balancing. This is clearly an expert army, as succes or defeat is always the consequence of a single mistake. But i find it very interesting, as you really have, more than ever, to think of what has been drawn or not in both armies.

About the 5 damage: remember that the army is weak, has only 5 damaging units, with 0 init and no toughness (and no medic). It is really rare to manage to deal damage, and, because it is Melee, it is nearly assured to die in the attack. So, yes, i thought 5 was better than 4.

MasterTouan wrote:
What does the Module symbol means on the Wall and Blob though?
It was mother earth, but i removed it because it was uselessly complex, and a factor of unbalance. I replaced it by the "?" of Smart Transporter or Steel Police Net: you can replace it by a unit from hand.

My only question is: does the poisoning unit (plane) inflicts 2 or 3 poisons? For the moment, it never managed to deal damage in my playtests, but i'm not sure 2 poison would have been enough. 3, in the other hand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, clearly looks like an expert difficulty here.
Against which army did you play? Because the basic four ones aren't fully representatives of the whole game anymore.

I'm aware of the difficulty to deal damage and all, the "wow" about the 5 dmg unit was more of a "I want to play and hit with this!"

Since you apparently didn't manage to get the plane to hit, you could improve its iniative by 1.
But succeeding at using the unit should also be rewarding, so you may in fact want to add one more poison attack.
In the event of a turn 2 "plane + battle" though, the latter option would be much powerful.

Few more things:
- is there no need for a toughness on the tile keeper?
- is it intended that the Gatling gun doesn't have equal/symetrical number of attacks? If yes, you should move one attack icon from the left to the right. Just an aesthetical thought here.
- I would have said 'rule B' for the Jammer to go on par with the Interference tile, both aesthetically and regarding rules. But, 'rule A' would make your army more polyvalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterTouan wrote:
Because the basic four ones aren't fully representatives of the whole game anymore.

Yes, but you have to limmit the playtest to something, or you will never finish. Moreover, each time you make a change you have to retest from beginning.
To me, it is not the armies that are important, but the fact that they represent 4 different types of situations, so if it seems balanced in all those situations, i am happy.

Quote:
Since you apparently didn't manage to get the plane to hit, you could improve its iniative by 1.
Nope, would be against the army philosophy . I did not manage because of chance, i managed with the other Melee unit (the 5-damage one).
2 poison is good if there is 2 additional battles, not counting the final one.

> is there no need for a toughness on the tile keeper?
YES
> is it intended that the Gatling gun doesn't have equal/symetrical number of attacks? If yes, you should move one attack icon from the left to the right. Just an aesthetical thought here.
YES, i intended to do that
> I would have said 'rule B' for the Jammer to go on par with the Interference tile, both aesthetically and regarding rules.
I was leening toward rule B too, partly for the same reasons ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A language note: The name should be simply "MIT", not "The MIT". I.e. without "the".

E.g. from MIT's own website:

Welcome to MIT!

MIT welcomes visitors to campus...

or see https://mitstory.mit.edu/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Institute_of_Tec... etc.

("The MIT" is used when "MIT" is being used as an adjective instead of a noun: e.g. "the MIT campus", "the MIT administration", "the MIT Press", "the MIT athlete who won the race", etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
It's creative. Not an easy concept to work with. Personally there are only 2 changes I would make.

Neither version of the Jammer is balanced. There are some factions who rely very heavily on their mods most notably Neojungle, Vegas and Mississippi and the ability to shut them off no questions asked would be way too good against these factions. On the flip side, some factions rely very very heavily on unit base actions again mostly Vegas but also Moloc and Outpost to a degree so I don't think that's a good idea either.

I personally would not make any detrimental mod which affects the entire board as it has a much too large a chance of swing an entire battle unfairly. What about something like a 6 directional "Adjacent opposing units do not benefit from mods or HQs" and/or "Adjacent units cannot be moved, rotated castled ect?"

The Poison unit should probably go. He's too reliant on the timing with which you draw him. Draw him late and hes useless which in a faction such as this with so few units is a very very bad thing. What about a unit with a double Mississippi Shadow power (can hit any 2 targets on the board for 1 or 1 target for 2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.