Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Citadels» Forums » General

Subject: Role cards - less "take that" options for a new player - suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all,

At long last Citadels is going to hit the table for family game night. I've watched some videos, read a few posts. However game night is tomorrow night.

In the game group is two seasoned gamers (my friend and I), a player that loves games but isn't that seasoned (my son), and one or two non-gamers (my wife and my son's friend). It's an eclectic mix. I find some games for our game night are too deep (Cavnera) and some games just push the level of fun for the non-gamers by being too fiddly or needing a lot of attention to small details in spite of not being too deep (Elder Sign, Fleet). The best games for us tend to be multi-player filler games or straight-up board games. Machi Koro, Ticket to Ride, Coup, Splendor, etc.

So I'm always looking for games that aren't too light, yet aren't too deep. We played Harbour recently and it went over well. So the next game to hit the table tomorrow night is Citadels. We're also going to play Plague & Pestilence. Woop!

But for Citadels I read that the Assassin and another couple roles can be a bit too "take that" and possibly unforgiving to new gamers. Is there a standard non-confrontational role setup for less aggressive gamers? Do I obviously switch out the Assassin for the Witch? What else?

Lastly, as the night wear on and people go home my night-shift friend will be here until 4:00am and we'll play a few two player games. Any difference in role selction for two player vs. multi-player if the criteria stays the same? Passive vs. aggressive?

Thanks all for the input. I know it's short notice and I'm guessing I should be able to find these answers in the threads here. I'll keep looking. But this post was a preemptive post in case I can't find anything.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, Citadels is a bit of a "take that" game, BUT it's usually targeted towards roles, not players, so I don't think people should take it too badly if they get hit by a card since you can't hit a player with 100% certainty

That said, I think the standard suggestion is to replace the Assassin with the Witch, and the Warlord with the Diplomat.

EDIT: also, if this is your first time, I suggest printing out some player aids that has all the roles on it, which will help people remember who does what. I played for the first time a few weeks ago, and it helped quite a bit. Here's one that I made https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116147/citadels-18-charac...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I think you'll be fine with the standard roles, assassin included. I play this with my non-gamer wife and she's fine with it, and beats me too.

The thing that stops the assassin being "take that", for me, is that you can't use it to target another player, but only another character. And maybe no one has that character, or maybe the person you thought had it doesn't and somebody else does.

Also, for your last point, I've found Citadels to be a good two player game without changing out the roles - just so long as you're careful to follow the 2-player variant rules. Although if it were me, I think I'd have tired of playing any one game too often in a night, so I'd have a back-up plan if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Well, Citadels is a bit of a "take that" game, BUT it's usually targeted towards roles, not players, so I don't think people should take it too badly if they get hit by a card since you can't hit a player with 100% certainty

That said, I think the standard suggestion is to replace the Assassin with the Witch, and the Warlord with the Diplomat.

EDIT: also, if this is your first time, I suggest printing out some player aids that has all the roles on it, which will help people remember who does what. I played for the first time a few weeks ago, and it helped quite a bit. Here's one that I made https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/116147/citadels-18-charac...

Done and Done. Thank you sir! I'm actually going to sit down to a game with my son in a few minutes. Just printed out the sheets and will commence shortly.

Do you typically use the extra buildings from the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Switch these out for a less confrontational game:

Assassin to Witch
Thief to Tax Collector
Magician to Wizard (optional, doesn't help that much)
Warlord to Diplomat (better in any game, as Warlord lengthens the game)

I'm not big on Citadels as a 2 player game. I think it shines with more players. I'm sure others will differ. I usually recommend games that are designed for 2 players in those circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you typically use the extra buildings from the expansion?

We always shuffle in the Dark City expansion district cards...they make you pay a little more attention to each player's tableau.
Enjoy the great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again guys!

I have heard that this can be a good to great two player game. I suppose it's just a matter of perspective as the consensus on the poll is it's not a good two player game. regardless, we'll give it a try to say we did. We might like it, maybe not.

Most of my games are two-player as it's usually my wife and I, my son and I, or my gamer friend and I. I have a load of two player games. My gamer friend and I still enjoy two player Caverna for it's relative quickness and depth. We also play Battle Line, Institute for Magic, Mage Wars Academy, Star Realms, Epic, Lost Cities, Edler Sign, Thunderstone, The Duke and the list goes on. For two player games we have more than enough options, but it's always nice to mix it up a bit. We enjoy "Harbour" as a two player game. I recently purchased "Le Havre: Inbound Harbor" for some 2-player games, but that's yet to hit my door.

Institute for Magical Arts has been a lot of fun. And Battle Line provides some great tension and depth for what it is. The Duke is a lot of fun and not that deep considering what it is. I have Jarl too that is yet unplayed.

But for tonight it's two player Citadels with my son followed by game night tomorrow night. I also hear race to 7 buildings is just a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, new gamers learn quite quickly what to pick and what not to pick. Of course, they don't build the perfect strategy right away, but by second game they will know when to "take that" and when not to.

I wouldn't be so afraid, even with non-gamers. It is a simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.