Star Realms» Forums » News

Subject: Fantasy Star Realms, Kickstarting this Spring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwin leaked it on a Magic podcast. It is about 1:02:20 in.

I, for one, hope that I can combine it with the Star version to have a game of space ships blowing up castles and jousting satellites out of orbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, Star Realms was a "New Classic". Between Cthullu Realms and another iteration... they hit a homerun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Star Realms? Meh, I'm more excited about the mention of an Epic app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was Epic not good enough??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of thought Ascension WAS Fantasy Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

Epic is excellent. I think the fantasy Star Realms will be a completely different beast from Epic. Epic is not a deck builder. I think the recently announced OP and high paying tournament attest that the company believes in the game and is pleased with the perspectives and results so far. And, I am not surprised.

I am glad Fantasy Star Realms comes after the Cthulhu one. That version was inferior to Star Realms. I am hoping that will provide a better starting point to make the Fantasy version awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only person who was hoping that White Wizard somehow got the IP for Phantasy Star? It would actually blend super well I think with what they have created with the original theme and atmosphere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic is a fun game, but there are also a lot of people out there who were hoping for a fantasy-based version of Star Realms.

I wonder what kinds of new mechanisms they will come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Apparently, Star Realms was a "New Classic". Between Cthullu Realms and another iteration... they hit a homerun

I'd have to say that Star Realms may well be a new classic. I'm a little hesitant to use a phrase like that, but it's tightly designed, expandable, and looks like it may have legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
I, for one, hope that I can combine it with the Star version to have a game of space ships blowing up castles and jousting satellites out of orbit.

That would be funny. I'd assume they would create new factions and 7-8 factions would be too many, but they could certainly keep the same colours and maybe even logos. Whether they do or not will likely depend on whether they want to consider all the existing Star Realms cards when designing the fantasy set.

I'm hoping the artwork is a less epic than Epic. I doubt it will be though as epic fantasy art seems popular. I like the idea of Fantasy Star Realms and liked the idea of Epic but didn't like the artwork, and there are plenty of other games I like the idea of too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vito Gesualdi
msg tools
mbmb
Dude, if we could get the Phantasy Star IP I'd be so down...

- Vito, SR Graphic Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the GTS show book, page 76:

Hero Realms
Deckbuilding Game

Coming soon to kickstarter!
Awesome retail tiers!
In stores for Q4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:

Hero Realms
Deckbuilding Game

Awesome retail tiers!
In stores for Q4!

The GAMA announcement, if anyone is interested:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Moynihan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch a Live Interview with Rob Dougherty at 5:30 pm EST today to hear the details!
Rob will be talking about this on The Dice Tower at 5:30 pm EST live
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedicetower and there will be a Q&A where he will take questions on any topic too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d3bd3b wrote:
Rob will be talking about this on The Dice Tower at 5:30 pm EST live
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedicetower and there will be a Q&A where he will take questions on any topic too

Thanks for posting that video. The big news is that Hero Realms will have a solo campaign. Also, the kickstarter is in a month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
raviv wrote:

Hero Realms
Deckbuilding Game

Awesome retail tiers!
In stores for Q4!

The GAMA announcement, if anyone is interested:

Exciting news. I hope that isn't the final cover art though. What a boring image. Just some handsome looking dude crouching there with a sword. Can't he be fighting a dragon or blasting a fireball at a skeleton or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My big hope for Hero Realms is that there is less objectifying artwork of women.

There was a lot of discussion about whether the art for Epic was or wasn't objectifying (I come down firmly on the side of "it is") but whichever side you come down on, you can hopefully see that quite a few people found it so, and that was a problem for them. I've played sessions of Epic with new players who disliked this aspect of the art and said it put them off the game.

I'd like to be able to play Hero Realms without having that problem myself, and without my friends and others who I share the game with also disliking it for that reason.

I know WWG have seen the complaints and Nathan said they would take them on board. I think we'll see how the art is in Epic: Tyrants and that'll give a suggestion of how they'll be treating so-called "cheesecake" in Hero Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
greylag wrote:
My big hope for Hero Realms is that there is less objectifying artwork of women.

There was a lot of discussion about whether the art for Epic was or wasn't objectifying (I come down firmly on the side of "it is") but whichever side you come down on, you can hopefully see that quite a few people found it so, and that was a problem for them. I've played sessions of Epic with new players who disliked this aspect of the art and said it put them off the game.

I'd like to be able to play Hero Realms without having that problem myself, and without my friends and others who I share the game with also disliking it for that reason.

I know WWG have seen the complaints and Nathan said they would take them on board. I think we'll see how the art is in Epic: Tyrants and that'll give a suggestion of how they'll be treating so-called "cheesecake" in Hero Realms.

I think you should be happy with Hero Realms.

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IanWWG wrote:
greylag wrote:
My big hope for Hero Realms is that there is less objectifying artwork of women...

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games

Oh, thanks Ian. That's very reassuring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

To me, Epic is a mediocre hand management game. Because all cards are "epic" there is no early or midgame. It's completely void of strategy and becomes very quickly a take-that game. Some people may like that, I do not.

I haven't played draft, yet. That may be its only savior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I am glad Fantasy Star Realms comes after the Cthulhu one. That version was inferior to Star Realms.

While I have nothing with the Cthulhu universe, I found Cthulhu Realms clearly a better game than Star Realms. The triggers are not only color based, but also based on the abilities of other cards. This makes it less obvious which cards to buy and results for me in a deeper game with more (real) choices.

Hopefully they'll incorporate some of the improvements from Cthulhu Realms in Hero Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IanWWG wrote:
greylag wrote:

Looking at Tyrants... it's a bit of a mixture. Some are pretty neat. Some are... well... there's a bit of room for improvement!

If you take it up another level I'll be happy with Hero Realms. At the moment I'm 50/50. I've loved every game design so far. I loved the graphic design on Star Realms and I like it on much of Epic (and generally like it even more in Tyrants). But some of it really let the rest of it down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stone
United States
Winter Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:

To me, Epic is a mediocre hand management game. Because all cards are "epic" there is no early or midgame. It's completely void of strategy and becomes very quickly a take-that game. Some people may like that, I do not.

I haven't played draft, yet. That may be its only savior.

I couldn't disagree more than this synopsis of Epic. Epic removes the frustrating parts of many CCGs. Mana is not needed, so you do not get mana screwed. All players have access to the same cards, thanks to non-randomized packs.

There are many different ways to play Epic. In random or playing a pre-constructed deck the strategy centers around when to use your 1 gold (the cost to play the more powerful cards in the game. 2/3 of your deck cost 1 gold.) and when to play certain cards. The mechanic of when you can and cannot play cards is simple to learn but it takes many games to master.

Your initial games may feel like "take that" but two players that have a dozen or so games under their belt will be playing at a different level. Draft play is my favorite way to play this game. The two player draft rules is a game in itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.