Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I just played a 2-player base game as the Axis against my son, Will's Allies. I had a good initial deal with Germany receiving both Dive Bombers and Blitzkrieg and several other useful status cards, although Blitzkrieg was Enigma'd before it was ever used. The Japanese had the usual spread of responses and the Italians had lots of build cards, but few VP bonus ones. The Soviets quickly expanded Westward and the usual slogging match began between them and the Germans and Italians. The British had some encounters in the North sea, while the USA headed towards Europe. I set up the Atlantic Wall to dissuade incursions in Western Europe, and then with an American Army appearing in Iceland, played Jet Fighters to protect against economic warfare.

The Soviets were taking too much of my time and attention, subjected to much dive bombing and a broad front, I then had an opportunity to expand Japan from Vladivostok and eventually attack and occupy Moscow. This gave me a steady catch-up in points. Towards the end of the game every point counted, as Britain and America invaded first Western Europe and eventually Germany. Finally, the Italian scoring bonus cards appeared and had to be carefully sequenced for maximum effect. Japan and the UK were depleted of cards and stopped contributing anything useful (except lots of points). My final play by Italy left me with 6 cards in hand and a 6 point lead. The USA had an economic warfare for 6 damage and a 5 point score pending. A single extra point against Italy, or an army just one space closer to Japan, or some other way to squeeze out an extra point and the Allies would have won. Instead, the Axis won 211 points to 210. My closest ever game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvelous! I know the feeling - this was one of those super-tense games that have you stand up from the table with your knees shaking.

However, one point would not have been quite enough since the rules say that the Axis wins on a tie.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.