Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

E-lite ASTrA» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solved when using Play Guide 1.3 and Cards 1.4: Rules and possible typos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cool Mint
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the low ink version. I think I would be able to play tonight. Still some cutting to do.

I would like to submit a couple of questions/comments/typos for your consideration.

Regarding the cards (low ink version of 2016/03/08)
a) The Narwhal Corvette police interceptors seem to have 4 lasers icons but the text says "2 Mil-spec Lasers 4x4 dam". I think the "2" is a typo, right?

b) The encounter cards shown in page 5, 2nd row, 2nd and 3rd column share the same symbol of moderate law level. I believe the card in the 2nd column should show a high law level icon, right?

c) The encounter cards mention "pirates". Are "pirates" any of the opponent cards even the guppy cargo vessel and the skate mining vessel? Or are these cards used as the party being attacked on the lone trader/convoy encounters? If the later, could they be engaged after dealing with the "pirates"?

Regarding the play guide (version of 2016/02/22)

a) Trading and cargo section (page 8)
3rd paragraph, 1st line: "1Tonne" should be "1 Tonne".
4th paragraph, 1st line: "wealth has gown" should be "wealth has grown".

b) Encounters (page 10)
1st paragraph, 1st line: "intra-system" should be "intra-sector".

c) Reading late at night is not the best to ensure comprehension but it took me a while to realize that "opponent action card" and "opponent marker card" are alternative names to what the suggested layout (page 7) calls the "Legal goods/combat moves cards" (#5) and opponents (#8). The reverse of the legal goods cards (page #2 in the low ink set) are the "opponent action cards". The "opponent marker cards" refers to the opponent cards and/or the police interceptor cards. Am I mistaken thinking that there is no other reference to this in the play guide? Perhaps adding the "opponent action card" to the card anatomies might help people like me. I thought that the reverse of the legal goods cards was just decorative.

d) Regarding the layout (page 7): Where should the police interceptor cards be placed? Shouldn't they be on their own pile instead of mixed in the opponent pile (#8)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules and possible typos
Thanks for highlighting all of these, I'll take a look over he next couple of days and correct and clarify. Looks like I might need to post a rules update next week some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool_Mint wrote:
Thank you so much for the low ink version. I think I would be able to play tonight. Still some cutting to do.

I would like to submit a couple of questions/comments/typos for your consideration.

Regarding the cards (low ink version of 2016/03/08)
a) The Narwhal Corvette police interceptors seem to have 4 lasers icons but the text says "2 Mil-spec Lasers 4x4 dam". I think the "2" is a typo, right?

Its not a typo but it might be a bit misleading. Standard lasers fire once for 1 damage/shot, Improved lasers fire once for 2 damage/shot, Mil spec lasers fire twice for 4 damage/shot. The Narwhal mounts 2 mil spec lasers hence the 4x4 damage - each laser fires twice doing 4 damage each hit. I'll include this explanation in the play guide - I wasn't certain how well I had phrased this when I wrote it, but never got round to clarifying it.

Cool_Mint wrote:
b) The encounter cards shown in page 5, 2nd row, 2nd and 3rd column share the same symbol of moderate law level. I believe the card in the 2nd column should show a high law level icon, right?

No, they are both moderate, more of these and the low law encounter cards should follow in the expansion files. There are no encounters listed on the high law level jump cards, so there is no need for an encounter card in the base set - journeys to these systems are safe. I already had more encounters in mind than could fit on a single card so decided upon multiple encounter cards for the moderate systems - there should be more of this system type in the game, so that encounters can be mixed up a bit. 2 cards aren't much of a deck but you can alternate which you use. I plan on adding more encounter cards for moderate and low law level systems, and may introduce additional jump cards for all levels to give the opportunity for a slim chance of an encounter even in high law level systems. Good spot though - no-one else has mentioned it from downloading either version of the cards.

Cool_Mint wrote:
c) The encounter cards mention "pirates". Are "pirates" any of the opponent cards even the guppy cargo vessel and the skate mining vessel? Or are these cards used as the party being attacked on the lone trader/convoy encounters? If the later, could they be engaged after dealing with the "pirates"?

Hmm I hadn't realised this, another good spot, thanks. My intention when creating the cards was that yes they were pirates too - some pirates will use whatever ship they can get, and the ship description does suggest rumours of modified guppies - a bit like the q-ships of WWII. Using them as the convoy/encounter vessels works as well. When originally writing the encounter card I didn't intend the ships you are assisting to stick around and take part in the battle - hence no need for the extra cards but I like your idea. I think either using them for this or not is valid, which ever you prefer. Of course, they can then be attacked themselves. I think what I need to do is expand the ally deck a bit to incorporate some non-militia vessels to be used for this type of purpose.

Cool_Mint wrote:
Regarding the play guide (version of 2016/02/22)

a) Trading and cargo section (page 8)
3rd paragraph, 1st line: "1Tonne" should be "1 Tonne".
4th paragraph, 1st line: "wealth has gown" should be "wealth has grown".

b) Encounters (page 10)
1st paragraph, 1st line: "intra-system" should be "intra-sector".

Sorted, thanks.

Cool_Mint wrote:
c) Reading late at night is not the best to ensure comprehension but it took me a while to realize that "opponent action card" and "opponent marker card" are alternative names to what the suggested layout (page 7) calls the "Legal goods/combat moves cards" (#5) and opponents (#8). The reverse of the legal goods cards (page #2 in the low ink set) are the "opponent action cards". The "opponent marker cards" refers to the opponent cards and/or the police interceptor cards. Am I mistaken thinking that there is no other reference to this in the play guide? Perhaps adding the "opponent action card" to the card anatomies might help people like me. I thought that the reverse of the legal goods cards was just decorative.[q/]

Ok - a legacy mistake here on my part - there were originally cards just to identify which set of actions when with which opponent. These got dropped to slim the deck to the size I wanted, especially when light dawned and I thought - why not just use the opponent card itself to obscure the actions not yet used. I will change the descriptions - you are correct I think it only occurs that once. I like the idea of adding the action card to the anatomies section and will do this.

[q="Cool_Mint"]d) Regarding the layout (page 7): Where should the police interceptor cards be placed? Shouldn't they be on their own pile instead of mixed in the opponent pile (#8)?

They are the backs to the illegal goods cards - they are listed on the setup diagram as ally cards. I didn't add this title as I plan on there being other ally ships besides the militia ones.

Many thanks for highlighting all these mistakes and areas lacking clarity - It means I can really get the rules usable. One of the problems with developing a game like this is that after a bit you are too close to the game and the rules and so miss areas that don't come across as well as is needed. Not always being able to spend long periods of time drafting and finalising the text also means things slip through that shouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool Mint
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply. I will not quote your answer to avoid having a wall of text.

I understand your answer about the Narwhal and its lasers. Thank you for the clarification. I cannot not find in the play guide that military lasers fire twice. If indeed is not there, perhaps adding the rate of fire and damage of the different lasers into the play book might be a good idea.

Don't you think that in the current incarnation of the rules, the lack of an encounter while transiting high law level systems is equivalent to allowing the player to buy and sell illegal commodities without any penalty? There is no encounter in the intra-sector jump card for high law level. Don't you think it goes against what a high law level system should be? Until the expansions come, may I suggest to replace one of the free movements in the intra-sector jump card for high law level for a police encounter and having a single encounter card for each law level? It does not increase the card count and I think it makes thematic sense.

I have a few new comments regarding the play guide (version of 2016/02/22)

a) Inter-sector jumps (page 10, 1st paragraph, 3rd line): The text reads "The jump will utilise all the fuel carried by the vessel..." I think that you mean "a full load/deposit of fuel" i.e. 6 fuel units for the Manta instead of all the fuel carried. Otherwise it is always better to time your jumps when you only have one remaining unit of fuel.

b) Inter-sector jumps (page 10 and card): What are the consequences of a malfunction (meltdown/fail)? I got a couple of them but other than spending the full load of fuel I could not find any other consequence. Perhaps the cost for repairing a failure or for a new unit (in the case of a meltdown) could be added to the services offered by the space stations. Another possibility could be the jump brings ship to any of the other three sectors currently displayed.

c) Combat systems and actions. Shields (page 11, last two lines). The text says "When the shield recharges to full, a unit of energy is removed from the ships energy cells". How/When are energy cells recharged? Consuming one (1) extra unit of fuel while in transit? When arriving at a space station? For free or at the same cost of one unit of fuel?

d) Combat sequence (page 12, step #3, 2nd bullet point): "visa versa" should be "vice versa".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
some good points there thanks, I'll get on to it over the weekend. already made the corrections from the last post and I think a couple of these new ones may have been resolved but I'll check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool_Mint wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I will not quote your answer to avoid having a wall of text.

I understand your answer about the Narwhal and its lasers. Thank you for the clarification. I cannot not find in the play guide that military lasers fire twice. If indeed is not there, perhaps adding the rate of fire and damage of the different lasers into the play book might be a good idea.

Sorted

Cool_Mint wrote:
Don't you think that in the current incarnation of the rules, the lack of an encounter while transiting high law level systems is equivalent to allowing the player to buy and sell illegal commodities without any penalty? There is no encounter in the intra-sector jump card for high law level. Don't you think it goes against what a high law level system should be? Until the expansions come, may I suggest to replace one of the free movements in the intra-sector jump card for high law level for a police encounter and having a single encounter card for each law level? It does not increase the card count and I think it makes thematic sense.

This has been sorted, though in a slightly different way to the one you suggest - I realised that I had intended stop and searches in space to be fairly rare and for there to be customs searches on landing. This is mentioned in the play guide but somehow I lost sight of it and failed to implement any rules. This has resulted in a minor change to the 3 intra-sector jump cards. Each now contains a number (info is duplicated in the play guide) giving a chance of a search upon docking. Low law is a 1 in 6, mod law 2 in 6 and high law 4 in 6. This means every system has a chance of an inspection and the chance varies dependent on the law level. I'll post revised card fronts in the next couple of days but its not essential as the info is here and in the play guide.

Cool_Mint wrote:
I have a few new comments regarding the play guide (version of 2016/02/22)

a) Inter-sector jumps (page 10, 1st paragraph, 3rd line): The text reads "The jump will utilise all the fuel carried by the vessel..." I think that you mean "a full load/deposit of fuel" i.e. 6 fuel units for the Manta instead of all the fuel carried. Otherwise it is always better to time your jumps when you only have one remaining unit of fuel.

You are correct, it is 6 units of fuel. The play guide is now changed to give this correct info

Cool_Mint wrote:
b) Inter-sector jumps (page 10 and card): What are the consequences of a malfunction (meltdown/fail)? I got a couple of them but other than spending the full load of fuel I could not find any other consequence. Perhaps the cost for repairing a failure or for a new unit (in the case of a meltdown) could be added to the services offered by the space stations. Another possibility could be the jump brings ship to any of the other three sectors currently displayed.

This has now been defined - a fail results in no jump but the fuel is lost in the attempt. A meltdown is a fail with the addition of the drive being destroyed and needing replacing.

Cool_Mint wrote:
c) Combat systems and actions. Shields (page 11, last two lines). The text says "When the shield recharges to full, a unit of energy is removed from the ships energy cells". How/When are energy cells recharged? Consuming one (1) extra unit of fuel while in transit? When arriving at a space station? For free or at the same cost of one unit of fuel?

I'm still trying to decide on this. I had originally thought that it would recharge through normal flight now I'm not sure if I like this. All your suggestions are valid so I will try and decide in the next day or so.

Cool_Mint wrote:
d) Combat sequence (page 12, step #3, 2nd bullet point): "visa versa" should be "vice versa".

Corrected.

Revised play guide is being uploaded, as is a revised card deck (high and low ink versions) The altered card fronts are being uploaded so people don't need to reprint the whole lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrected images will take a little longer as moderators have thrown them out saying they are 100% components. It was suggested in their helpful feedback that the files can be combined into a single image. How this is not suddenly 600% (6x100) component images I don't know but I will try it. It will take a bit longer though as the individual images will need to be imported arranged and size checked before exporting as a pdf and uploading for approval, instead of just uploading the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.