Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning all,
I am SERIOUSLY looking at this game for my group, and I see that you can have several 'runs' in the game, but I have no idea what that means.

1) What is a 'run' and how long in real time (estimated) does that take?
2) About how many 'runs' does it take to finish the game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took us about 5 hours to complete with three runs. The First run took about half the time.
A run is a set number of time "points" each action you take costs a certain amount of points.

Several other people have also stated it has taken about 5 hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game gives you a number of Time Units. You use up these TU's when you travel to new locations or when you do various checks (roll dice) based on your stats.

When you are out of Time Units, the run ends. This is a natural place to put the game away and pull it out some other time. The next time you play the game --- which for many people is right away --- you start from the beginning again with the same number of TU's. However, during this subsequent run, you have now accumulated new information and leads -- as well as learning what was a waste of time the first time through.

I have only played the Asylum case (the one that comes with the game) and it took us 3 runs. I am under the impression that most people have a similar experience. Future scenarios may take more or less.

I would estimate each run as taking 45-90 minutes, depending on several factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...although we've never done it, you can end a game play in the middle of a run.

If you found yourself short on time, you can make note of where you were/how much time was left, what items you have, etc. and start again from there.

The first game of the first scenario you play will take the longest, as you are figuring out rule-set, and generally playing slower.

The games speeds picks up tremendously on 2nd and 3rd runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A run is one attempt to solve the "puzzle" of the scenario. Allow 60-90 minutes for a run.

2.How good is your team? Three runs seems normal for Asylum in the base game. Later scenarios have had reports ranging from one to five runs.

You are not required to complete the scenario in one sitting because the game state can be "saved" in the box insert, though most likely that will be at the end of a failed run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Fisher
msg tools
The runs have been pretty accurately described above, but I'll add:

I feel the 45-90 minute 'run' timeline is a little skewed. The very first time you play the game at all is likely to be the longest run (90 minutes), as you are still getting the hang of the rules.

The first run of each individual scenario will probably be longer than subsequent runs of that scenario as well, as players will get more used to the layout and what to do.

Basically:

First run overall: 90-ish minutes
First run of a scenario: 60-70 minutes
Subsequent runs of a scenario: 60-45 minutes
# of runs per scenario: Range of 2-4, but almost everyone does it in 3.

Future scenarios may vary in length and # of runs, but that's the current trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what I needed to know.
Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really going to depend heavily on your group. I know this can said about any game, but here, with the significant time scale you're dealing with it's very true.

Is your group going to role play? You're put into a role in each scenario, and the group isn't supposed to show cards they are seeing to each other unless that person is also at that card. This means you will be conveying information to each other constantly throughout the course of the game and roleplaying will increase the length of this already lengthy process (for example, I greatly enjoyed pretending to be a coke head in the Asylum scenario *sniff, sniff*) Also, if your group is focused and the time captain for that turn keeps things moving, things will progress faster.

In my experience, each scenario takes about three runs. It can be done faster, evidently it can be done in a single run but I don't think this is likely at all (at least for the first two scenarios). And each run will likely become progressively faster as everyone gets comfortable with the mechanics and a concrete plan emerges as new information becomes available. In fact, this is really one of my criticisms of the system, each run becomes more mechanical. It changes from a wondrous adventure of discovery and mystery to an exercise in efficiency. But it is a minor quibble and some may actually like this.

However, this is all mitigated by the fact that the insert is designed to save your progress mid-game. So, you do not have to sit down to a 4-5 hour gaming marathon (though we have with both Asylum and the Marcy Case because they are just that engaging.) if you don't want to.

All things being equal though, I would estimate it will take a normal group anywhere from 3-5 hours to complete an entire scenario. It is possible that it may take up to 6 depending on your play speed, and accounting for extreme bad luck in combat or getting hopelessly stuck on a puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We regretted rushing the last scenario and missed a clue that we may not have had we been a little more fresh.

So my advice is if you are on the fence about doing another run, resist the urge. You may of think of some things between runs that wouldn't have time to if you reset the game.

I'm committed to not rushing games in the future just because we are having a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
And each run will likely become progressively faster as everyone gets comfortable with the mechanics and a concrete plan emerges as new information becomes available. In fact, this is really one of my criticisms of the system, each run becomes more mechanical. It changes from a wondrous adventure of discovery and mystery to an exercise in efficiency. But it is a minor quibble and some may actually like this.
For my group, playing A Prophecy of Dragons, our third run was the longest for that scenario (I think probably the longest of all our individual runs), combining both the efficiency planning and the wondrous discovery elements you cite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.