Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the ships WK has produced, what characteristics make it a good (vs. bad vs. mediocre) ship?

To start the discussion off, I think we have "main combatants" which are meant to slug it out, "skirmishers" which are meant to make the enemy take them out at a cost greater than the worth of the ship, and "support ships" which buff the other ships in the fleet. Maybe we have more types than this, but that's what comes to mind.

A main combatant to me has 4+ attack dice, reasonable durability/defense such that it can't easily be one-shotted (or even 2-shotted), an eclectic mix of slots, and a perk that supports its role (an attack perk, a defense perk, or a movement perk -- passive greatly preferred). (E.g. Sovereign, Prometheus, Scimitar, Vor'Cha, Borg Sphere, etc.)

A skirmisher has enough attack dice to be a threat (3+), enough defense to make killing it difficult, and isn't TOO expensive. Its perk should either support the attack or defense role. (E.g. Prototype 01, NX-01, almost any B'Rel, etc.)

A support ship has little or no attack, serious defense, and the ability through itself or it's upgrades (or Admirals or Captains) to buff the other ships of the fleet. Its perk should be defensive or buff other ships (E.g. RIS Vo with Donatra and Mendak).

Sometimes WK ships nearly make me weep given their failure to hit this or any mark (USS Pegasus and it's cloak).

So what do YOU look for in a WK ship? What rings your alarm buzzer for ships designed to be TOO good or TOO bad? What advice would you give to ship designers to make better spaceframes for our use in the game?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Barnes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ability to survive, because no matter what the ship can do if it never gets to do it then it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1374Phantom wrote:
Ability to survive, because no matter what the ship can do if it never gets to do it then it doesn't matter.

Main combatants expect to take at least a couple of blows without being destroyed, usually on shields with limited evade dice. Support ships expect to survive by being hard to destroy -- high evasion dice (as in a cloak) smaller numbers of high quality evasion dice (Fed style), auto repair systems, some way to produce evades (NX style) or some combination of all of these. Skirmishers don't expect to survive, but they hope to absorb 2-3 shots before they go, which amounts to 2-3 attack cancellations against enemy fire.

Of course that only does any good if the skirmisher isn't the only valid target. So usually skirmishers don't lead the way into battle.

Unlike Star Fleet Battles or FASA SCS the ships are more brittle in STAW, easier to destroy. Full Thrust is even more brittle with ships getting popped continuously. Without continual attack cancellation, there is a limit to how long a ship can survive, and they're never going to last as long as in SFB, with it's capability degrading as it goes. The useful lifetime of a STAW ship is usually measured in turns. Blocking a couple of points of damage, while it might seem inconsequential, might mean the difference between getting destroyed and destroying the enemy. Small differences can matter.

And all this is relevant because these subtle little advantages are often given to ships by its stats and more importantly its perk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ultimately what makes a ship good is the person/player piloting it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I think ultimately what makes a ship good is the person/player piloting it...

Yes, but I suspect if we limited that person to the USS Pegasus and the Mirror hospital ship he might have some problems winning.

I think most people would agree that both the skill of the person AND the quality of his tools is involved in winning this game. I'm not saying what percentage of each that is. But what I'm trying to do here is find out what other people look for in a ship. Or you can criticize what I look for if you prefer. Either one is valuable because I'll learn something!

I wish to understand how to design better ships (just because it's fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.