Subject: Card Combinations ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Martin

Palmer Rapids
Ontario
msg tools
mb
I was just looking at another thread when someone had mentioned pairing up the paradrop card along with nuclear missile. The question I have Is can you do that?

My understanding is that all the cards conditions must be met in order to be played in the same situation. In this example someone plays paradrop first, which allows them to attack or move into a territory 2 spaces away. the player than believes all the conditions have been met and than plays nuclear missile on a territory 2 spaces away.

does playing a card count as an attack?

I don't have a problem if you can or cant, its more about what the designers intentions were for the cards use I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that by default, playing a special card does not count as an action. In the example you gave, I believe (but don't have the card in front of me to confirm) that the paradrop card must be played on your turn, and lets you break the normal rules for attacking that turn (by attacking several spaces away, instead of adjacent). You still have to use your normal attack to take advantage of the paradrop card, but the paradrop card doesn't automatically cost an action.

I think the nuke card is similar in that it does not cost an action to play; you just nominate a territory that is within range, then resolve the card's effects. So I think you can play the card before your action or after your action, as desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin

Palmer Rapids
Ontario
msg tools
mb
I think you misunderstood my question. I am aware that special cards do not require an action. What I am not sure of is that using a special card is considered an attack ( not an action) for resolving whether or not the cards conditions have been met. I do however like how you worded " You still have to use your normal attack to take advantage of the paradrop card" which is the route cause for me bringing up this topic. Can you use other cards to take advantage of the paradrop card ie nuclear missile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin

Palmer Rapids
Ontario
msg tools
mb
another one would be ICBM a territory and adding sniper to kill an additional unit, however this time the cards conditions are during a round of combat instead of attack. is rolling dice only for combat and attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Rothlisberger
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the nuke and ICBM cards costs your action for that turn. Also sniper could not be used with ICBM, it specifies during combat. I also don't think the nuke could be used with the paradrop card. It doesn't just say you can treat the space as adjacent it says you can attack or move into the space as if it were adjacent. It is my understanding that the special cards, even offensive ones are not an "attack" or 'combat".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin

Palmer Rapids
Ontario
msg tools
mb
true that the Nuke and ICBM cards cost you your action, but you do not use an action to play cards which is why cards can be stacked in a single turn. I agree with you that with the understanding of the cards attack or combat means using your action to move or roll dice. But since someone has thought that the cards conditions have been met I just thought maybe using a card would be an act of combat or attack which I am not sure the rules specify or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Bunyion
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Reading the cards/rules more closely I believe there's a very strong argument to be made that these cards couldn't technically be stacked.

I believe Rocket Fire, and Nuclear Missile are the only cards where this situation would come up.

At my house I think we'll allow these combinations until there's a nuclear sub strike card. :-)

The infrequency with which that card combination can appear, and the high tactical cost to play it still feels balanced to me.

It really only makes sense to risk five cards in a fairly desperate moment.

Such as against a strong opponent who is only accessible from the sea, or perhaps if someone has made an incursion on your sphere you could glass their border territory allowing you to retake your sphere and not have to worry about them bringing in reinforcements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So I see there's a couple of questions here, so let me try to tackle each of them:

1. You could NOT use a paradrop to Nuke a distant territory. The paradrop isn't actually creating a new adjacency in a general or universal sense, but only so far as moving into or attacking that space from your own space goes (and use of the Nuclear Missile card is neither a move or attack, but an "alternative to taking an action"). From the Paradrop card:

Quote:
For the rest of the this turn, you may attack or move into that territory as if it were adjacent to yours

and from the Nuclear Missile Card:

Quote:
Play this card on your turn as an alternative to taking an action

2. So with the above understanding of paradrop that would also eliminate other possibilities too - for instance, you couldn't use Paradrop and then, without actually having succeeded in taking the territory, use Conversion or Rocket Fire to target distant spaces. However - if you did take the space using Paradrop, you could then immediately follow it up by using Conversion or Rocket Fire.

3. So you could NOT use a sniper to add bonus kills to an ICBM (and this also goes for other combat modifier cards - like Special Forces - nor could an opponent play a Combat Copter or Heavy Armor to change the outcome of an ICBM). Even though ICBM has some similarities to an attack (in the sense that there are variable kills and dice rolling) the units being removed are not being "killed" in the ordinary sense, nor is their removal taking place in the context of a battle or an attack, so cards which modify kills or rounds of combat would have no effect on what ICBM is doing. This is because ICBM is also acting an alternative to taking an action (meaning it is not a move or attack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin

Palmer Rapids
Ontario
msg tools
mb
OK, cool beans. This is what I was thinking but was thrown off by some other people's use and understanding of the cards which had me second guessing and obviously reading a little deeper into the text of each special card. Thanks for clearing that mess up Josh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah man, thanks for asking! Glad I could help clear it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.