Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the fence with this one.

Sure, the coins might be cool, but what about the game itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JM Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hello War Chief. I am the creator of Ultra Coins. I definitely know what you mean. Unlike a lot of kickstarters that have fully produced games, we are using kickstarter to make the game itself. The art and the molds are the major expense.

As far as game play, we did all of our play testing with 3 by 5 index cards with the stats and abilities written on them. We rolled 8 sided dice to simulate the coin spins. This was necessary since we didn't have the funds to produce a complete set of coins--thus the kickstarter.

During our initial playtesting, the special abilities were very limited. We essentially had special abilities by type of coin. Not a lot of individuality. However, based upon the feedback we have received from our backers, we have greatly expanded the special abilities and made them character specific. This has been a great experience and we truly believe our backers have helped us make the game better.

With all the new special abilities, we are testing them out to make sure they are balanced with each other.

The game itself is evolving some, but we will get everything finished before we produce the coins. The coins themselves only take about 3 weeks to produce but we need our artist to produce each character. We are very confident on our June ship date.

Sorry for the long post. We just believe in being very interactive and honest about the game and let the chips fall where they may. Thank you very much. JM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules to the game, as posted on the Kickstarter page. From what I gather, there's not much actual game here. This Kickstarter is mostly for producing the gimmicky coin components.

None of the reviews I read/watched mention anything about actual gameplay. Can someone actually list all the tactical decisions that need to be made during a player's turn?

If this is actually meant to be a viable "game", I would think that the focus would be on ruleset and extensive playtesting. The coins, and any other components, would be a lower priority.

(My 2 coins worth )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I just read the rules to the game, as posted on the Kickstarter page. From what I gather, there's not much actual game here. This Kickstarter is mostly for producing the gimmicky coin components.

None of the reviews I read/watched mention anything about actual gameplay. Can someone actually list all the tactical decisions that need to be made during a player's turn?

If this is actually meant to be a viable "game", I would think that the focus would be on ruleset and extensive playtesting. The coins, and any other components, would be a lower priority.

(My 2 coins worth )

Could not agree more. Pledged, but seriously considering dropping out.

Too many unknowns regarding game play and barely funded. Rules still in development and a June delivery date.

Got burned by too many KS projects to have this much doubt this far into a project.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.