Popular Tags: [View All]
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We all have been confronted to this : a US armored and/or elite standing on your way in town or forest +IP. Sometimes you just can't go around it but sometimes you have the possibility to trap the unit, avoiding a very random and bloody battle. What is your favorite strategy :

1) fight anyway, hoping not to suffer crippling losses and at least bust the unit out of the protective hex. Difficult decision regarding chits drawing.

2) surround and let it starve until isolated. It is a long process and Airpower can ruin your efforts. Moreover you still need a significant amount of troops in the end to destroy the unit, slowing down your advance west. The trapped unit may slow down your reinforcements and block road.

3) surround and let it starve until low/out of supply. More dangerous battle but you lose less time and the absence of allied tactics and hidden defender is already helpful

4) almost surround and let the unit escape to a less favorable terrain (withdrawal, pull back). Does not work on higher HV hexes

After being disappointed by 1), I have been a big fan of 2), a bit less of 3), and never really tried 4) until now. In fact my battle doctrine is to avoid fights with supplied units or with risks of hidden defenders. Of course it depends on the situation and advance opportunities on the main front. Trapping too close to the main front can be very problematic.

Favorite victims for the exercice have been the V corps around Elsenborn, and the 7A, 30th and 82th regiments from XVIII corps.

What is your experience?

Cheers,
M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to surround with armor and then fight without waiting for low supply. The idea is to get a retreat result causing a step loss for enemy ZOC which should clear the road they are blocking. After that I'll surround with infantry to pin it and will be a little more patient before finishing it off. i usually do this to get to Bastogne as quickly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Melchiori
Italy
Vigarano Pieve
FE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use method 3, sometime the 2 on early days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like since it takes 4 days to go from surrounded to isolated supply status, I'm not sure how much I'd wait for method 2. I tried a mix of 2 and 3 in one game and felt like it tied down way too many units maintaining the pocket. In fact, I had to borrow a ISS corps unit to eventually reduce and eliminate the pocket. Maybe if you can get a good-sized pocket with several Allied units, it's worth it for the easy eliminations, but I think you'd be better off just letting the Allies wander behind your lines and use a couple infantry regiments to keep them from taking a Westwall hex. Granted, I've only played 3 GS games, so maybe I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the GS solitaire module out for Vassal, I wanted to try out making a larger pocket and see how that worked. In short, it works very well.

At one point, I had pocketed 11 Allied units. Since then I've reduced the pocket so that there are still 3 units (now Isolated) while 1 unit escaped via the last provision of 10.8. I also had a 3 stack of Allied units that were first the beneficiaries of a Withdrawl event, and now recently had an Airpower event put them back in supply. Fortunately, they are pretty isolated.

I used a combo of methods 1, 2, and 3 from the OP. I attacked some critical points right away even with the Allied unit only being in low supply, but anything else I've specifically waited for OOS or Isolated to start attacking.

I'm in the middle of the Dec 20 turn. I'm at 27VP with one unit sitting outside Huy where a fortunate set of Roadblock Reserve/Roadblock checks could see me across the Meuse before the day is done. The 15 point gain from that would get me a strategic victory if nothing major happens. But that's only a 24% chance. More realistically, I'm looking at the 21st or 22nd for finding a way to force the Meuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Granger44 wrote:
I feel like since it takes 4 days to go from surrounded to isolated supply status, I'm not sure how much I'd wait for method 2. I tried a mix of 2 and 3 in one game and felt like it tied down way too many units maintaining the pocket. In fact, I had to borrow a ISS corps unit to eventually reduce and eliminate the pocket. Maybe if you can get a good-sized pocket with several Allied units, it's worth it for the easy eliminations, but I think you'd be better off just letting the Allies wander behind your lines and use a couple infantry regiments to keep them from taking a Westwall hex. Granted, I've only played 3 GS games, so maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, my inclination was to strangle supply but since the rule that supply status is set once during the day, you can't do any clever moves of cutting off supply with one activation then attacking later in the day. I've since de-prioritized supply maneuvers. I just keep trying to move westward.

I hate attacking when there's a good chance of an undetected defender, of course, but sometimes I feel like I have to start the process of pushing some units back. Especially in those bottleneck areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like my larger encirclement worked much better than a piecemeal, encirclement of individual units/stacks or smaller groups. However, in general, I agree that pushing westward is a priority, though not at the cost of leaving them in danger of having their supply cut off by an opportune Allied counterattack.

And cutting off communications to an Allied unit means no undetected defender can show up. I think maybe you were alluding to that fact in your second paragraph, but it wasn't 100% obvious to me on my first reading.

And even putting units in Low Supply means that they can't benefit from a combat tactic, which makes attacking a little less risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ã…kerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

My experience is that you need to be very lucky indeed to be able to surround anything more than the odd unit here and there from the 18th and on. Considering the vast number of reserves the Allies receive, combined with the inevitable roadblocks (especially early on) I'm impressed anyone can speak of it as a "strategy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Martin I see we both like John Butterfield design games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.