7 Posts

A Game of Thrones (first edition)» Forums » General

Subject: No order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
I read the rules a bit again, and I'm unsure about the possibility to not give an order.

This is said on page 8 of the manual:

"Here you secretly assign all your units orders by placing one order token face down on each area you control that contains at least one unit (Knight, Footman, or Ship)."

And on page 9:
During this step, players simultaneously and secretly choose their orders and place them face-down on the board in areas containing their units.

I would still believe that you don't need to give orders. Isn't it also an possiblity that you can run out of possible orders? Especially if you are last on the King's Court influence track and the Storm of Swords is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:No order?
It seems pretty clear to me from the two quotes above that you're supposed to place an order in any area that contains on or more of your units.

Is there a scenario where you'd choose to give no orders to an army?

I suppose it's possible to be in a situation where you had more armies on the board than orders available, but it seems highly unlikely that anyone would ever get the opportunity to build their entire pool of units and spread them so thin to require that many orders without already winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
SabreRedleg (#21440),

I some parts of the manual that deal with orders, there word "may" occurs. But most of those occurrences are in combination with your limit of 10 normal orders and the 5 special orders.

I think you are allowed to give no order, just that is isn't clearly specified in the manual. It could also be me and the language barrier (english isn't my first language).

/Per

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leiv Hodne
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
SabreRedleg wrote:
Is there a scenario where you'd choose to give no orders to an army?

Yes. If all you had left was "Consolidate Power" orders and you felt sure they'd be raided, or if you wanted to save orders to swap in via the Messenger Raven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had positions where I ran out of orders to place, and also ones where I needed to save orders to swap for with the raven...it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
I got this answer in a e-mail from Kevin att Fantasy Flight Games:

You may skip giving orders to your units if you like. It gives your opponents information to work with, but may be desirable in certain circumstances.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Games

Perhaps this will be more frequent in 3-player games, where the players do have more areas. It wont occur that often though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situations where you cannot give orders definitely do occur. In the games I've played, they mostly come up when one of the Westeros cards that forbids a certain type of action has come up. Throw in the fact that some players aren't going to have very many * orders available and people will find themselves with only 8-10 orders to work with under these circumstances, not all that many.

We had been playing that you were required to give orders if you could, but if you ran out then it was up to you to decide which areas received no orders. With the rules clarification posted here I guess we will play that giving orders is optional from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.