Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played this game casually, about ten times, although I seem to have accumulated a fairly large collection. I find that I'm going to be in Cardiff when the Regional championship tournament is on. I'd love to get in a day of gaming, I'm sure I'd learn a lot, but a Regional championship sounds pretty serious. I'm worried I might just get beaten every round on turn 2 or 3, leading to a pretty boring game for my opponents. Is it OK to turn up just hoping to have fun? Any hints or advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Show up, win or lose you will probably have fun. Play at least one game with your list before going, so you know if it will work or not. Don't stress, it's a chance to go roll some dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the swiss pairings work is that everyone is randomly assigned an opponent in the first round, but after that, you are assigned an opponent that has the same record as you. So if you go 0-2 in your first two games, your third round opponent will also be 0-2. So if you keep losing, you don't have to worry about facing a really good player each round and getting trounced.

So while your prediction of losing each game in the second or third round might come true, as the tournament progresses, it is more likely that you will do better in each successive game as the tournament naturally tries to pair you with opponents of similar skill. And most tournaments end with only 1 person who didn't win a game (depending on the number of rounds). and while that might be demoralizing for that one player, it is better than having multiple people finish the tournament with no wins, which is a real possibility if each round were random.

If you are worried about people taking the game too seriously and not appreciating the fact that you are a new player and might make mistakes, tell them you are a new player at the beginning of the round. If they know that you are new and any mistake you make is legitimate and not you trying to cheat, they will be much more willing to help you out and be patient with you. They might still crush you, but they will do it as nicely as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on taking advantage of the fact that a regional round will be played here in Dallas as well, and I've only been pushing plastic for a few months. I'm going for the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the numbers that show up for a regional, the chances of every single player being a seasoned vet looking to win are pretty slim. There are bound to be plenty of other people there just looking to have fun.

I will say be prepared for a long day. Depending on how many people show up -- and with the limited number of regionals, it's going to be a lot -- you could be looking at 4 or 6 Swiss rounds each lasting 75 minutes, with time in between for setup and likely a meal break in there somewhere. Some of the large store championships haven't finished their preliminary rounds until 11 PM, with the championship rounds going later than that. Not saying that to scare you away, but definitely make sure you're ready for the long haul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments, that really helps. In particular, understanding how the Swiss system works helps me hope some of the games might be a little closer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm starting to think about a list for my first tournament, as described above. Currently I have never played the same squad more than once. I am hoping to decide on a squad and play it at least a couple of times before the tournament. I want something that is not too hard to fly; that has a bit of survivability so I should at least last a few turns even if I lose most matches; that will let me improve at the game as I play -- and most importantly have fun.

I like A-Wings and interceptors, especially with Push the Limit. I also like ordnance. So here's a B-Wing and A-Wing list with Poe thrown in as an all-rounder with some regeneration for a bit of longevity:

99 points

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Crack Shot (1)

Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

Nera Dantels (34)
B-Wing (26), Electronic Baffle (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Extra Munitions (2), Deadeye (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Is this worth practising with, then taking to a tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.