Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expecting 10 people, we split into two groups of five, one playing Piratenbucht. Keith helped explain that game and I showed Brian Agora while we waited for Darrin and Marcus to navigate around a highway accident. The three of us had managed one turn each when Darrin and Marcus arrived.

Age of Steam was also considered, but we decided on Princes of Florence and at least two concurrent explanations began. After a demo turn we started for real (and soon discovered that each person will only create one work). We began with builders, jesters and the amenities to make our talent happy. Prestige cards were largely ignored and we didn't start picking up recruitment cards until well into the game, at which point they commanded high prices.

During the first few turns most of us created a work (almost) every turn, running our hands out of cards. Darrin only played one, I think. Keith managed to produce a work pretty much every turn during the game, using jesters and bonus cards for impressive scores. Midway through the game I took the fewest free spaces card and bought a second builder. I picked up a fourth profession card and began filling in my area. At the end of the game prices were too high for me to get a jester followed by a recruitment card so that I could make two works. I had only taken cash from my first work so on the second to last turn I did nothing. The following turn I realized that by purchasing a bonus card I would be able to create a work. The delay cost me four prestige points which were turned into cash on the last turn (and used towards 12 prestige points).

I believe that put me at 48. Keith's regular production of works gave him the lead at 51. The other players each trailed behind by a further threeish points each. The last couple turns saw a few very worthwhile works, including a 25 WP work on Keith's part.

Next time that we play I think that the special cards and the recruitment cards will play a bigger roll, as each type was underused. Early auctions of recruitment cards could really change the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.