Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Just wondering, in a solo game with 2 or more Alien Players, how do you all keep track of whether a fleet is an expansion / extermination fleet.

I know it changes each economic round and was wondering how you all do it in your game sessions.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuman007 wrote:
Hey all,

Just wondering, in a solo game with 2 or more Alien Players, how do you all keep track of whether a fleet is an expansion / extermination fleet.

I know it changes each economic round and was wondering how you all do it in your game sessions.

Thanks!

It's been a while since my last solo game, but I thought the fleet type was determined when it launches and doesn't change? The target changes during the econ phase, but not the fleet type. At least that's how I remember it.

To answer the question, I just write it on the sheet I use to track the AIs cp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you are playing with 2 alien players and they can potentially launch a fleet in each econ round and they can either be extermination / expansion / raider fleet, this can get pretty hard to track.

This is why i am raising this question.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have on a few occasions run into an issue where the AP has launched several fleets. I start by using the fleet counters provided in Close Encounters. Otherwise I just use some revealed Scout and Destroyer counters to help easily remind me which is which if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuman007 wrote:
Well, if you are playing with 2 alien players and they can potentially launch a fleet in each econ round and they can either be extermination / expansion / raider fleet, this can get pretty hard to track.

This is why i am raising this question.

thanks
Ok, I understand now.
In my experience there weren't really that many fleets per alien. I don't remember needing extra tokens beyond the fleet counters provided to reduce clutter on the board, so only up to 3 per alien player.
The colonizer fleets only needed to be tracked until they found a colony, ~2 econ phases most of the time, since then they just protect it and don't move.
Extermination fleets tended to last a bit longer early game with low movement tech, but due to few dice resulting in less cp there's also less fleets launched then.

Writing it down in pencil and erasing it worked fine for me. You need a sheet anyways to track their cp, I just wrote it in the margins on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played with alien players yet, only doom machines, but I have use different colours, for example Im red, if the DM is extermination I pick a blue chit, if it is expansion I pick a green one. With several alien players I dont know if that is possible, but I guess it dont matter to put a green fleet (expansion) from blue AP and then a blue one (extermination) from the green AP nex turn. The colour of the ships tells you what is going to do, nor their origin, that is not important and you could easily tell anyway from where the ships come.

However as I said I only have done this with DM so dont know if it really complicate things more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:
I have not played with alien players yet, only doom machines, but I have use different colours, for example Im red, if the DM is extermination I pick a blue chit, if it is expansion I pick a green one. With several alien players I dont know if that is possible, but I guess it dont matter to put a green fleet (expansion) from blue AP and then a blue one (extermination) from the green AP nex turn. The colour of the ships tells you what is going to do, nor their origin, that is not important and you could easily tell anyway from where the ships come.

However as I said I only have done this with DM so dont know if it really complicate things more.
Different aliens will have different technology levels so you'll have to be bale to track which one send which fleet.

Though you could use counters that are rarely/never used by the aliens e.g. titans to denote extermination, miner to denote expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the key, put one decoy if exterminate, put nothing if exploration. Easy and zero problems as aliens dont use decoys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chua
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great tips guys. Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.