Hide
7 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Game Balance versus Increasing Pool Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rcket scientst
msg tools
Greetings and felicitations. I am new to the game and was wondering about increasing the number of figures available in the pool size available for each faction. Is there any general rule for making more cultists/monsters available for each faction (if somehow one could obtain more models.)

Primarily, I was wondering if I increased the available number of cultists from six to eight would I be creating an imbalance in power between the factions. Since each faction can use them slightly differently, I do not have enough experience with the game to tell if it is viable.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd not mess around with the game balance unless you have played the game a few times or preferably a lot.

At first glance, giving each faction more cultists will give each faction the potential to have more power and if power becomes less scarce then the cost of actions might not be accurate anymore.
If more monsters are available then their special abilities can be used more often. E.g. ghouls can now inflict more than two pains in a single battle.
Black goat will also have an easier time obtaining spell books since more units = easier to spread out and share areas while still maintaining protected gates.
Nyarlathotep will have an easier time capturing a cultist if there are more on the board.
And the list of impacts will go on and on. I'm pretty sure the Petersens have played around with different numbers of each unit and found this the most balanced.

If you want to do it and are just lacking miniatures look at the current Kickstarter for creating Pathfinder rules for Cthulhu monsters. They are selling the same minis used in Cthulhu Wars as part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
rcketscientst wrote:
Greetings and felicitations. I am new to the game and was wondering about increasing the number of figures available in the pool size available for each faction. Is there any general rule for making more cultists/monsters available for each faction (if somehow one could obtain more models.)

Primarily, I was wondering if I increased the available number of cultists from six to eight would I be creating an imbalance in power between the factions. Since each faction can use them slightly differently, I do not have enough experience with the game to tell if it is viable.

Thanks

Yes, it would create imbalance. The unit sizes are particular to each Faction, and their numbers carefully determined. As an example, it's a distinct advantage for Black Goat to have 9 units that can control Gates. Everyone else has a maximum of 6. That's a big deal, and gives red that advantage (which she needs).

To take another example, CC has 3 nightgaunts. That, frankly, is a lot. If they had 5, or even 4, for example, they could, with only a minimum of power, completely annihilate even a fairly impressive enemy force with their spellbook "Abduct."

Yet another example is Cthulhu's relationship b/w Cultists and Deep Ones, when you have the "Devolve" spellbook. Carefully planning how you use Devolve matters with the numbers of units involved (you can't devolve once all 4 Deep Ones are on the map). If the number of units of either cultist or deep ones changed for Cthulhu, it would have significant implications (a be a distinct boost for him).

Neutral Monster expansions can add more units to your faction, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Yuggoth map has a science lab with which you can convert (4) cultists to brain cylinders. You can then buy back up to 6 cultists again for an effective total of (10) cultists. Brain cylinders do act slightly different, though.
The Yuggoth rules mention a science lab marker is included for you to try these rules on other maps. So..your original post wanted more cultists...here's how you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R. Nielsen-Doss
United States
Hudson Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:
The Yuggoth map has a science lab with which you can convert (4) cultists to brain cylinders. You can then buy back up to 6 cultists again for an effective total of (10) cultists. Brain cylinders do act slightly different, though.
The Yuggoth rules mention a science lab marker is included for you to try these rules on other maps. So..your original post wanted more cultists...here's how you do it.

Well done! We all missed that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rcket scientst
msg tools
That works for me. Thank you all for the quick responses.

Looking forward to getting a hold of neutral factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found that the neutral miniatures really shake things up, and players actually request (remind me!) that I bring them along.

We use all of the neutral monsters, but only a random selection of the extra gods: X-1 (X= number of players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.