Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I think (hope) this is allowed here, I see the occasional other giveaway in here linking to an external site...

Anyway, BoardGamingAtHome is running it's first of a planned regular giveaway with the prize of your choice of board game upto a $50/£40/50euro value.

Full details are here : http://www.boardgamingathome.com/bi-monthly-giveaway/

I'd also appreciate constructive feedback, comments, etc on the giveaway and even the website in general

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In similar giveaways, I've seen the entries earned mentioned next to the total number of entries. Your form lacked the latter.

http://www.boardgamingathome.com/print-play-is-it-worth-it/
Your "PNP Is it worth it" article listed 2 PNP attempts, which does not really answer the question. PNP is a set of skills, with tricks. It is probably good to start easy and then build skills up toward big builds. There are several places here on BGG where the difficulty of various levels of builds is mentioned. You might choose to do a crude, black and white, low ink build 1st to see if you like a game, and then later come back and re-PNP it in color with multi-layer cards, varnish, chipboard, etc.

And then I see that you used PNP primarily to test out Kickstarter games. This involves more risk as to whether the game will be good as a game. In contrast, there is a world of extant PNP games that have been played and rated for years. Like all games, picking among the more popular, higher ranked games, according to your interest, is more likely to get you a game you enjoy. I can think of a couple of tools here on BGG to help you evaluate good PNPs.

Combining these 2 lines of thought, Utopia Engine is a solo PNP with only a few pages of black and white printing needed and no cutting. It is both highly rated AND an easy (trivial) build. If I were you, I'd start with easy to build PNPs that are highly rated.

In short, one of your 2 PNP builds was nearly destined for failure and disappointment, which is NOT the fault of PNP in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback

There were 3 projects that I mentioned in that article and 2 were a success so I'm surprised you perceived it as being so negative. The aim of the article was to get across that PnP is worth it, if you're expectations are realistic.

My first was a simple one, it was just cards....but my second was too big of a jump in complexity, I got too ambitious and that was my fault,I thought I said that

Perhaps I need to rewrite some of the article, I'll take another look.

Thanks again, constructive criticism is very helpful and hard to come by these days

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it easy to be critical, and then I try not to be antagonistic.

If I'd been writing an intro article on PNP, I would have taken it a completely different direction. But then again, I've not done a heavy build, but that is because I know it is beyond my skill and beyond my desired time investment. I do read about other people's builds though.

In general, I am a fan of PNP, and would try to present it positively, in such a way that a new PNPer would have success and a path to grow. Not scare them with heavy builds up front.

A few of my PNP builds are mentioned in my profile or owned list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
In general, I am a fan of PNP, and would try to present it positively, in such a way that a new PNPer would have success and a path to grow. Not scare them with heavy builds up front

That is what I was going for, PnP is worth it as long as you go in with realistic expectations. I was hoping to point out pitfalls to avoid (such as not going for a big, complex project too early) so that the reader might have more success in the long run.

I am obviously not a professional writer and I seemed to have failed there. I will certainly take another look and see if I can edit/rewrite some parts to give a more positive light

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PNP gives playable copies of games. High end PNP, taking lots of time, skills, and materials, can produce 'store quality' games. But unless you already love a game, the latter is quite a risk.

PNP is also related to prototyping games in development. And there the emphasis is on quick crude copies until the game has been thoroughly playtested and the designer is trying to sell the game to a publisher. (Although, some artsy & skilled people can pull off good quality on their 1st try. They are likely exceptions though.)

So for cards you can literally use pencil (or print) on plain paper shoved into card sleeves. This can let you hide card backs, or sandwich card backs with the fronts on 2 pieces of paper. The later allows you to not worry about lining up fronts with backs for cutting. This is just 1 trick that can make PNP easier for the beginner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your contest is starting to email me multiple days if I enter multiple days. That is annoying, and quite possibly not worth the +1 entry I get. No other contest that I've entered does that. You are using Gleam? Have you considered Rafflecopter (IIRC) to run your contest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Your contest is starting to email me multiple days if I enter multiple days. That is annoying, and quite possibly not worth the +1 entry I get. No other contest that I've entered does that. You are using Gleam? Have you considered Rafflecopter (IIRC) to run your contest?

Hmmm, sorry about that. Yes I am using gleam, I didn't know it did that. It's too late to change now, but I'll look at rafflecopter for the next one then.

Thanks, Russ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lees
United States
Franklin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, please keep gleam! I find it much easier to use and more streamlined than clunky old Rafflecopter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.