16 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sorry for an obvious question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I finally bought sorted and set up my first game...solo to get the feeling before sharing with my wife.

I'm not minutes into this and am stuck.

So Silas started out with a gate in his home town of Sydney. So I figured let's get the party started right by closing it.

He drew 24 lost carcosa got an artifact but had no clues to spend, I failed to close the gate.
So I assumed I discard the gate card and will draw another next round..so I did and drew the Abyss which had me trying to escape a stony pit injuries to the leg including hunger and sanity.
Geeez!
So all that said how is this resolved since I'm tossed back in?
Do I discard this card as well and try again? Or am I just horribly misunderstanding the rules?

Thank you ! (I did do a search but struck out.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you draw a new Other World card every time you try to close a gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hastur666 wrote:

OK cook thanks. Just seemed a little open ended since he seemed somewhat stuck there story wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elton Evans
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's probably my biggest issue with the "story" game. Although the real world encounters are organized by regions (orange, purple, green) and type (city, sea, wilderness), the other world encounters are a bit haphazard. One can travel to many other WORLDS if failing to close the gate. Perhaps it would have been better to have specific other worlds, but this may have been a feature that was streamline out from Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tinye3 wrote:
That's probably my biggest issue with the "story" game. Although the real world encounters are organized by regions (orange, purple, green) and type (city, sea, wilderness), the other world encounters are a bit haphazard. One can travel to many other WORLDS if failing to close the gate. Perhaps it would have been better to have specific other worlds, but this may have been a feature that was streamline out from Arkham Horror.

And was probably for the better; this game has enough decks without having separate decks for each possible other world. And, to be honest, the variable color approach used in Arkham Horror was one of the things that I really disliked in that game.

If it helps any, don't think of gates as teleporters between one world and another. Think of them as energy nexus in a state of quantum superposition; this state continues until an investigator steps into the nexus, at which point the superposition collapses, leaving a defined realm of existence that the investigator moves around in.

Note that the investigators can actually be told how this works in the Dreamlands. (Other World card #21, to be exact.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
Hastur666 wrote:

OK cook thanks. Just seemed a little open ended since he seemed somewhat stuck there story wise.

You aren't obligated to continue trying to close the gate each round. Sometimes its best to leave them and move onto more important problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:
Floridawalt wrote:
Hastur666 wrote:

You aren't obligated to continue trying to close the gate each round. Sometimes its best to leave them and move onto more important problems.
This.

All Encounters (other than Mobster Encounters) are optional, the only thing that is mandatory is that you must have one of the valid Encounters in your Location each turn. Which one you have is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dion wrote:
Floridawalt wrote:
Hastur666 wrote:

I hear ya...lol. After the 2nd attempt he was injured paranoid I believe cursed and close to insanity so I figured he was toast anyway so I threw him back in there. Now with multiple reckoning effects having occurred...I'm just gonna start over a * wee more cautiously. Ha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't despair Walt sir.

The game can be brutal at times, and you will probably loose your first couple of games, but when you finally win... ah man, the feeling of satisfaction is just incredible.

In our last game, after one go around the table, all our investigators had one condition, some sort of paranoia or broken leg. It was just insane. We lost big time, but started another game right away and finally won against Yig. It took us 6 games to finally beat him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
(Other World card #21, to be exact.)

Huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
haslo wrote:
Xelto wrote:

Huh?

The cards are numbered in the lower right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Xelto wrote:

Huh?

It was an oblique joke, which will be weaker if I have to explain it, but...

The comment about collapsing the quantum superposition was a reference to the classic explanation known as Shrödinger's Cat—the one that says the cat in a box can be both alive and dead at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat (note: link doesn't work because of some odd formatting in it. Just copy and paste it into your browser if you want to look it up.)

Other World card #21 is the one where, in the Dreamlands, you find a bunch of cats that nobody is allowed to kill. Obviously, they're the survivors who used their political sway to outlaw a certain experiment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
haslo wrote:
Xelto wrote:

Huh?

It was an oblique joke, which will be weaker if I have to explain it, but...

The comment about collapsing the quantum superposition was a reference to the classic explanation known as Shrödinger's Cat—the one that says the cat in a box can be both alive and dead at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat (note: link doesn't work because of some odd formatting in it. Just copy and paste it into your browser if you want to look it up.)

Other World card #21 is the one where, in the Dreamlands, you find a bunch of cats that nobody is allowed to kill. Obviously, they're the survivors who used their political sway to outlaw a certain experiment...

Ooooh, smarter and yet more obvious than I expected! I did read the card about cats, but didn't make the Schroedinger connection...

I'll need to read Eldritch Horror cards a lot more carefully for more hidden jokes it seems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The HP Lovecraft story about the cat's you can't kill pre-date Schrodinger's cat by a decade or so.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgehobbit wrote:
The HP Lovecraft story about the cat's you can't kill pre-date Schrodinger's cat by a decade or so.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Always interested in learning new things. You made me read; good thing the Lovecraft stories are public domain and easily available

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cu.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Hedgehobbit wrote:

HP Lovecraft actually wrote a quantum superimposition of multiple stories, which didn't collapse until Schroedinger's famous thought experiment became popular. There's a reason his favorite AO was Yog-Sothoth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.