9 Posts

Waterloo 1815: Fallen Eagles» Forums » General

Subject: How do you guys play solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc g
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi, I recently bought the game and I was wondering how to play solo.
I saw there is a module in vassal but I supose there is no sort of ai. So, to play solo I have to play both armies, isn't it?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter vejdo
France
paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes lije for other wargames via vassal
however, the game system makes solitaire play an option as there is no hidden markers for example if you do not use the optional rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lehnen
United States
Bethalto
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play all of my wargames solo. I just got this last week and played scenario 1 and really enjoyed it. In fact, it is really fun solo. Some games just don't flow well solo but I thought this worked great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc g
Spain
flag msg tools
So you play both armies no? How do you do to play well with both and not try to do better with your favorite one?

By the way is there a place where people from this forum can play the game online?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Since there is no hidden movement or card handling (tactical cards are open, optinal strategic are not, though) the game is quite possible to play solitaire, I have played two full campaigns to completion, and a number of aborted campaigns and smaller scenarios.

What you mostly learn is the tactical aspect of the game (and I advise you to try *everything* you can think of, the crazier the better, just to see how the game handles different situations).

What solitairing will not bring out is the strategic aspect of the alternating activations mechanic. Arguably this is where the game stands out the most: that players alternate activating formations (or commanders) but you are not sure if leaders will respond to your orders and you are not sure how long each turn will be. So choosing how to prioritize your activations is extremely important and the frustration of that will only shine when playing against an opponent, of course, since you will always know your opponent's plan when soloing (unless you adopt some kind of randomizing element for you activations, which could work).

Since the three smaller scenarios do not use the campaign activation rule they do not have the problem that I just described, but sooner or later you will want to step up to the plate and try the real battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingpopop wrote:
So you play both armies no? How do you do to play well with both and not try to do better with your favorite one?

By the way is there a place where people from this forum can play the game online?

Thank you

Hi Marc,

You do have to play both armies. I suggest you write down the whole plan for each army, starting with the british : "if the french attack here, I would do that, if they attack here, I would do that etc." Then, you may choose the french plan...or roll a die if you want to be surprised

But yeah, it's possible that you try to do better with the French (for example ^^)

To play online, you need Vassal for example. And someone to play with you. It's best to have a voice call via skype or any other voice prog while you play.

If you wanna try it someday, send me an mp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc g
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you, make the plans a little random seems fun. I'll defenetly try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Coleman
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Marc,

I am a recent buyer of HEXASIM's Waterloo 1815: Fallen Eagles. I have the game on VASSAL myself too as well. You are more than welcome to message me about it. I have a very strict time schedule as I work a lot over the week & weekends. I get at least 2 days off.

I am not quite familiar with the rules at all since I would be doing a video of the unboxing of the game, tutorials to set up on YouTube, and eventually a Series I playlist of videos to show different scenarios. Series II may encompass a campaign and possibly more to follow...

Hit me up if you want to find a way to play on VASSAL. I'd be more than happy to learn the rules with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lei shi
msg tools
If any of you are still interested in playing a vassal (PBEM or live in GMT+1 evenings) game. Let me know. I am still learning the rule but feel more motivated to play a real game.

Cheers,
Lei

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.