Dead Man's Draw» Forums » Rules

Subject: Captain's Hook trait and Misfire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Gori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve just read the rulebook, I haven’t yet played the game, and I’ve some doubt.
I don’t understand the trait “Captain’s hook”. This one state that the player “must play two card from your Bank instead of one”. This is a negative trait. The hook card, that is affected from this trait, has a negative Suit ability because force you to place a card from your Bank to the play area, forcing you to bust or restricting your possibility to draw useful cards. This trait double the negativity of this event. It is perhaps a mistake and it should be “All opponent” as Beastmaster trait just above?
Other questions is about Misfire trait. If I have well understand: if anyone have this trait, each other player who draw a cannon must place one of his top card of a stack instead to chose an opponent player. Cannon became a negative suit ability. It’s true?
Thankyou
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only card that can force you to bust is the Kraken. if another card would cause you to bust, you ignore the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybirdman wrote:
the only card that can force you to bust is the Kraken. if another card would cause you to bust, you ignore the ability.
If only this were true...

Rulebook:
"Hook:
Choose the top card from any Suit Stack in
your Bank and place it into the Play Area.
You MUST play a card from one of your Suit
Stacks even if the only available card will
cause a Bust.
If your turn ends in a Bust, you
will not recover your card that was moved to
the Play Area by the Hook. It is discarded
with the rest of the cards. If you do not have
any cards in your Bank, this Suit Ability is
nullified."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also interpreted the Captain's Hook card as being a negative, so we just didn't use it. I'm sure that it wasn't intended to be, but we couldn't figure out how it could be helpful.

Misfire effectively "ruins" opponents' cannon abilities. Instead of hurting you, they must hurt themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I've been using a different set of rules. Somewhere, someone posted the rules he wrote for the game, and mentioned that they changed a few things (for the worse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, this is a tricky one. I also thought there must be an error somewhere, reading the rules.
But the text on the card says "May draw up to two ..." which makes the difference.
This way, there might be an occasion when you add from your bank both a chest and a key. Which would be quite beneficial for you. So i think the rulebook is wrong and this character is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
uncelafo wrote:
if anyone have this trait, each other player who draw a cannon must place one of his top card of a stack instead to chose an opponent player. Cannon became a negative suit ability. It’s true?
Thankyou

I guess each opponent can still remove one card of any opponent´s bank (including the bank of the player possessing the "misfire" character) but in addition, must also remove one card of his own. So this character brings a negative suit ability for the others, but not that negative. This is my understanding, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to necro this post but Hook's ability is not entirely negative. It does allow you to hook in either a key and chest if you have those cards already or 1 of them and any other suit to complete that 2 card combo to earn double rewards on a Collect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.