Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KS update #11 contains details on the current state of the cards. The Hibernation trait card says:

"Prevent 2 population loss due to Heat."
"Prevent 2 population loss due to Starvation."

I asked on KS whether this was a typo and the response was inconclusive. I'm hoping it is. Hibernation should protect against Cold, not Heat. Animals hibernate in the winter, not the summer. The word comes from the Latin for winter. In the artwork, the animal is curled up with its tail around its nose, protecting itself from the Cold. We all know what hibernates means, right? Dom, please say this is a typo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
M guessing that is a typo as the version of hibernation in play testing has always been preventing pop loss due to cold, not heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the first North Star Games post on that update:

NorthStarGames wrote:
@Griffinman01
"For Hibernation, shouldn't it prevent losses by Cold rather than Heat?"

Yes! Thanks for catching the typo. We rushed to get these graphics together because we have another (more important) announcement that we want to post tomorrow and we don't like posting two updates on the same day.

How is this inconclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Reiman
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch! Why are you poking me?! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Trinket Magpie wrote:
KS update #11 contains details on the current state of the cards. The Hibernation trait card says:

I asked on KS whether this was a typo and the response was inconclusive. I'm hoping it is. Hibernation should protect against Cold, not Heat. Animals hibernate in the winter, not the summer. The word comes from the Latin for winter. In the artwork, the animal is curled up with its tail around its nose, protecting itself from the Cold. We all know what hibernates means, right? Dom, please say this is a typo?

I'm also thinking that preventing 2 pop loss is OP for Hibernation. If I'm right, this means a pop 2 or less critter never has to eat? That's not exactly what hibernation does. Seems like is should still always require a critter to eat at least one food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
osu_bry wrote:
I'm also thinking that preventing 2 pop loss is OP for Hibernation. If I'm right, this means a pop 2 or less critter never has to eat? That's not exactly what hibernation does. Seems like is should still always require a critter to eat at least one food.

Sure, but they won't score points if they're not eating either, so it's not like this will be a must-play winning card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we need an aestivate card now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Here is the first North Star Games post on that update:

NorthStarGames wrote:
@Griffinman01
"For Hibernation, shouldn't it prevent losses by Cold rather than Heat?"

Yes! Thanks for catching the typo. We rushed to get these graphics together because we have another (more important) announcement that we want to post tomorrow and we don't like posting two updates on the same day.

How is this inconclusive?

Dom, this answer to Griffinman01's question is not inconclusive at all, so thanks for posting it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
osu_bry wrote:
Trinket Magpie wrote:

This Hibernation version is nicely balanced, I playtest it, but there is another version that I don't now if it'll be selected. "Prevent 1 population loss for each population fed". What do you think about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Reiman
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch! Why are you poking me?! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
osu_bry wrote:
Trinket Magpie wrote:

This Hibernation version is nicely balanced, I playtest it, but there is another version that I don't now if it'll be selected. "Prevent 1 population loss for each population fed". What do you think about this?

That seems to make more sense in terms of what hibernation does, but if the prevent 2 pop loss turns out to be more balanced, I completely get it. And as one person mentioned, your species isn't scoring any points of its not eating. I personally like this alternate version, but understand if they go either way. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
osu_bry wrote:
Chango wrote:
osu_bry wrote:
Trinket Magpie wrote:

That seems to make more sense in terms of what hibernation does, but if the prevent 2 pop loss turns out to be more balanced, I completely get it. And as one person mentioned, your species isn't scoring any points of its not eating. I personally like this alternate version, but understand if they go either way. :-)

We have from an authoritative source that the cards at this point are not going to change much or at all -- which I take to mean not enough to include the alternate version of the card as a possibility:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22016028#22016028
(BTW this post also contains a later version of the cards than the KS update I started this thread with, including a corrected version of Hibernation.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.