Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

This looks like it could be another great edition to the Evolution family, and we can get it for free.

I'm not on FB, so please everyone who is do as instructed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
And text for those of you who aren't in on the campaign yet:

Jonathan D'Angelo, one of Evolution's developers, asked a brilliant question:

What if we got rid of the Watering Hole, and gave each player a Plant Species instead?
We know a great idea when we hear one, so we immediately set out to make it happen...

Then another one of the game developers, Nick Bentley (who used to be a neurobiologist), asked another brilliant question:

What if we gave our backers the chance to get it for free?
More on that below. In the meantime, here 's how it works.

Mini-Expansion Overview:

Instead of feeding from the Watering Hole, players choose a Plant Species to eat. But there's a catch: if you send your species into another player's territory, that player gets a free attack on that species with each of his Carnivores! Sounds fun? Here are the details:

The Watering Hole is no longer in the game. Give each player a Plant Species instead.
Instead of playing a Food Card, increase the Population of each Plant Species and place Food up to its Population.
Instead of feeding at the Watering Hole, a Non-Carnivore gets to choose any Plant Species to feed from.
Before a Non-Carnivore feeds from your Plant Species, you have the option of taking 1 free attack on it with each of your Carnivores. Otherwise, normal Carnivore rules apply.
At the end of the round, reduce the Population of your Plant Species to the level of its highest remaining Food and score any remaining Food.
You'll be happy to hear that we made a way for this to work with Climate! Just turn over the Plant Species board and use the back side. Instead of increasing the Population each round, just move the Population to the appropriate level based upon the Climate:

Here's How You Get it for Free

If this Facebook Post gets 250 shares before Friday March 18th, we will add this Mini-Expansion to the stretch goal pack for all of our backers. We only need about 5% of our backers to make this happen, so let's do it!

There's nothing more exciting than creating something that makes people happy. We think this expansion will make you happy, so let's make it real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to have met 250 already. Under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
It seems to have met 250 already. Under an hour.
Thank you for letting us know. I try not to do anything facebook if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I still shared, because as always, NSG is putting out another great product that is getting even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still unclear how the mini expansion would work as a normal game would see me eating at least 12 food in the later rounds. And the species which attack, do their defensive traits not count for the free attack? If they apply what is the downside of just picking on the other players plants? Looking at how much food the plants put out (and their only defense is your carnivores) do you have to discard cards to 'grow' your plants?

It is going to take a video or a clear rules explanation to me this mini expansion clear to me. Hope everything unlocks on the kick starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
I'm still unclear how the mini expansion would work as a normal game would see me eating at least 12 food in the later rounds. And the species which attack, do their defensive traits not count for the free attack? If they apply what is the downside of just picking on the other players plants? Looking at how much food the plants put out (and their only defense is your carnivores) do you have to discard cards to 'grow' your plants?

It is going to take a video or a clear rules explanation to me this mini expansion clear to me. Hope everything unlocks on the kick starter.

The Population of your plants are reduced when they get eaten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:

This sort of gameplay would encourage all players to have at least one carnivore in play to defend their plant life. I would assume that an herbivore's defensive traits would still apply so picking plants with defending carnivores who you are protected from would be a viable strategy, just like attacking plants that aren't protected by any carnivores at all. It seemed pretty clear to me from the little they have already said. Lots of possibilities and definitely a change to the game much like the Climate expansion itself. This is really going to be a fantastic expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to wait until retail release for this, but I really like the look of this mini expansion.

Good thing this project had an extra long window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
delewobmesid wrote:

Maybe I am just being dense but I don't really understand how the new expansion works either.

1) are you only increasing the population of your plant species by one each round?

2) If so then how will that be near enough food even with the increased carnivore activity?

3) what are the 3 separate columns of food for on the pictured plant species board?

This is how a turn would go. Increase plant population to 1. Eat the 1 food. Plant population back to 0. You would never have more than one food.

Or does the plant work just like other species where you can discard cards to increase the population?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
domcrap wrote:
delewobmesid wrote:

Maybe I am just being dense but I don't really understand how the new expansion works either.

1) are you only increasing the population of your plant species by one each round?

2) If so then how will that be near enough food even with the increased carnivore activity?

3) what are the 3 separate columns of food for on the pictured plant species board?

This is how a turn would go. Increase plant population to 1. Eat the 1 food. Plant population back to 0. You would never have more than one food.

Or does the plant work just like other species where you can discard cards to increase the population?

What it looks like to me is that the population levels can give more than 1 food. So 1 plant population provides 3 food, 2 pop gives 6 (total), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolaj Cyon
Sweden
Lidingö
Lidingö
flag msg tools
This is a great idea! But now I want plant traits: thorns, fruit, flowers and Carnivorous plants! Honestly three traits with 3-4 cards each would be awesome for the plants, maybe I will make it myself and post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Burke
msg tools
Should one be able to make new plant species or increase the population extra (atm i think it's one extra pop per turn)?

And does the marker start at the far left or the far right (in the picture shown)? Like does it start at 3 food or at zero? previous comments suggest at the 3 mark but the climate addition would make it seem it starts from the other mark. From what I understand, you can have a maximum of 14 food per player (9 in Climate) and a minimum of 2 in both. This could be interesting, especially with Avian species thrown in the mix (easier to get to the other guys plant species).

Pretty exciting, I can't wait to try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colton Crowther
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cy0n wrote:
This is a great idea! But now I want plant traits: thorns, fruit, flowers and Carnivorous plants! Honestly three traits with 3-4 cards each would be awesome for the plants, maybe I will make it myself and post it here.

When I saw Evolution on KS I thought it would be awesome if plants could evolve too. This expansion as it is is great but I agree I want my plants to have traits. Sure it would be complicated but brilliant. If only...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.