A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943» Forums » Rules

Subject: HQ activation question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Fischer
msg tools
Hello all;
New to the forum.

Quick question; am I correct in assuming that once units get activated by their hq, they stay activated ?

In other words, say it's any turn past turn one. First chit draw, I activate hq x's units. Next chit draw, I activate hq y's units.

Then, even though hq y was the units just activated, hq x's units can also move, etc., because they were activated earlier, right ?

It's not just the units of the drawn chit at that time, but all up to that point too, that also have been prior activated, that a player can use too, right ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Mn Mailman wrote:
Hello all;
New to the forum.

Quick question; am I correct in assuming that once units get activated by their hq, they stay activated ?

In other words, say it's any turn past turn one. First chit draw, I activate hq x's units. Next chit draw, I activate hq y's units.

Then, even though hq y was the units just activated, hq x's units can also move, etc., because they were activated earlier, right ?

It's not just the units of the drawn chit at that time, but all up to that point too, that also have been prior activated, that a player can use too, right ?

Thanks.

Hi John.
No, that's not quite the way it works.
The first chit drawn will activate all units within that HQ's command range (except other HQs). You then move any or all of those units that you can (including that HQ) and conduct any combat. When all of those actions are completed, that's it for that chit phase. All units are deactivated. When the next chit is drawn, same thing. Note that some units may be within the range of the next HQ chit drawn and can be activated again even if they were previously activated by a different HQ.

So, in a nutshell, it's: a) draw a chit, b) move all units, including that HQ, within its command range, c) conduct any combat and retreats, d) deactivate all units, e) draw next chit.

Hope that was clear. If not, let us know if you still have questions. AVL is a great game. Hope you have fun with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fischer
msg tools
Osprey wrote:
Mn Mailman wrote:
Hello all;
New to the forum.

Thanks.

Hi John.
No, that's not quite the way it works.
The first chit drawn will activate all units within that HQ's command range (except other HQs). You then move any or all of those units that you can (including that HQ) and conduct any combat. When all of those actions are completed, that's it for that chit phase. All units are deactivated. When the next chit is drawn, same thing. Note that some units may be within the range of the next HQ chit drawn and can be activated again even if they were previously activated by a different HQ.

So, in a nutshell, it's: a) draw a chit, b) move all units, including that HQ, within its command range, c) conduct any combat and retreats, d) deactivate all units, e) draw next chit.

Hope that was clear. If not, let us know if you still have questions. AVL is a great game. Hope you have fun with it!

Thanks Wade, yep, perfectly clear.

Appreciate your taking the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John, welcome to AVL mate, you're in for a wild ride..

Wade seems to have covered your querie an I'll echo his sentiments on this being a helluva game. If you frequent the consimworld forum on AVL you'll find lots of help with rules an tactics etc. In fact the game developer Adam Starkweather can generally be relied upon for rules clarifications on that site within 24 hours of most postings.

I also like the way you're thinking. Whilst having each activation become permanent for the turn as you were first thinking would make for an insane game of AVL (must crack out a few beers an try it that way one day!).. as Wade points out, that's not how it works. But maximising the number of units activated each time a HQ fires up is key to good AVL play IMHO. There's currently an AVL tourney going on and I'm in the middle of my third game. In every game I've played both I and my opponent have "clustered" our activating HQs and I think you'll find this typical from the more experienced AVL players out there. With multiple HQs covering as many units as possible, a typical game of AVL will see 1st Gds in the North activating twice with its own activation and Stavka's. Down south it'll often be 5th Shock, 5th TkA and 2nd Gds HQs coordinating a massed drive of Russians towards the Germans.

In turn the Germans probably need to send Kempf and Pico north to organise the retreat in front of 1st GdsA, combining these two HQs to hopefully keep their predominantly infantry force out of the Russian armors clutches. A single German HQ might cut it if the Russians are focusing heavily in the south, but a good Russian player will lick their lips at facing a lone German HQ up north.

This leaves 4thPzrA and Hollidt to face the red juggernaut down south and that will often be a hair raising affair, especially if 4th PzrA comes out late in T1. But there's a mantra one can follow, "if in doubt, run". Even if not in doubt, "still run". And keep running until you're behind a major river at which point it might be time to hunker down and use your own wonderful armored assets to hurl any impudent Russkies back across the Don/Donets until such time as 1st PzrA is through Rostov.

An if you've survived that long with enough German armor intact, just watch what a massed panzer formation under the guidance of multiple HQs and Manstein can achieve. Mansteins Backhand Blow was never a neat series of encirclement's in the manner of those achieved during Barabrossa but rather a series of bruising encounters wherein Grossdeutschland and the SS Panzer corps near Kharkov and 1st and 4th PzrA's between Kharkov and Stalino, cut off and destroyed in turn various Russian formations like Popov and 3rdTkA. AVL can recreate this brilliantly once the ahistorical intermingling of units and HQs is forgiven. In any event, it's both an awe inspiring sight and something quite rare in wargamming. An it perfectly captures the essence of this titanic battle.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fischer
msg tools
Hi Neil;
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks very much for the great reply with the useful info. !

I like this game/system a lot, so much so, that AVD is next to get, especially since it's on one of my favorite scenarios.

Have a great weekend,

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries John, you're more than welcome. This game to me now is what The Russian Campaign was to me as a kid. And whilst I've largely moved on from the latter I'll never forget it's importance in drawing me into our hobby. The same way AVL has re fired my love for it! My copy of AVD doesn't see as much action despite it being many peoples preferred game which I think has much to do with my fascination for the subject matter as anything else. Operation Uranus and the destruction of the German 6th Army was the Soviets one real grand envelopment success story of WWII and clearly impacted the outcome of WWII massively. Yet Saturn, as modeled so eloquently in AVL, would have dwarfed Uranus had the Russkies pulled it off, ending the European theater of WWII in 1943.

And they still can.. an we can have a taste of that over and over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fischer
msg tools
neilmoore wrote:
No worries John, you're more than welcome. This game to me now is what The Russian Campaign was to me as a kid. And whilst I've largely moved on from the latter I'll never forget it's importance in drawing me into our hobby. The same way AVL has re fired my love for it! My copy of AVD doesn't see as much action despite it being many peoples preferred game which I think has much to do with my fascination for the subject matter as anything else. Operation Uranus and the destruction of the German 6th Army was the Soviets one real grand envelopment success story of WWII and clearly impacted the outcome of WWII massively. Yet Saturn, as modeled so eloquently in AVL, would have dwarfed Uranus had the Russkies pulled it off, ending the European theater of WWII in 1943.

And they still can.. an we can have a taste of that over and over!

Yep, exactly why this game is fun; it's subject matter and the "if only...." aspect of it.

I went through the "more complex a game is, the better I like it" phase a long time ago, and this system is *exactly* what I enjoy now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.