Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: making_stuff_up [+] [View All]
Matthew Cortnik
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I begin: Phenomenal game! I own the previous edition which is great, but this one blows it out of the water IMO.

Anyway, I recently played the game with the "Buried Ruins" card (I think that's what it is called). Which is the correct way to play it?

(1) Once someone plays 1 map card and takes one entire chamber, whenever a new sandstorm card comes up, is a card added to that (now empty) "slot"...

(2) Or just whichever chambers have not been taken yet?

It's a bit confusing because if it only takes 1 map card for each chamber, then it would seem like the other 3 can only be used to trade or sell to the museum. Btw, we played the first way, and something didn't feel right, so any clarification would help.

Again, tremendous card game! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hellohooray wrote:
Anyway, I recently played the game with the "Buried Ruins" card (I think that's what it is called). Which is the correct way to play it?

(1) Once someone plays 1 map card and takes one entire chamber, whenever a new sandstorm card comes up, is a card added to that (now empty) "slot"...

Neither one, I must say.

Quote:
so any clarification would help.

I get my clarification from the rules themselves. Here is a long quote (with my highlight) regarding the Buried Ruins.

During Play: Whenever a Sandstorm card is drawn, the player who drew it immediately adds 1 card to each chamber, using cards from the pile prepared during setup. These cards are placed faceup in the chambers so that all cards in the chambers are visible to all players. Then, play continues as normal regarding the effects of the sandstorm, including the decision to use a Tent or not. In this way, more treasures are revealed as sandstorms occur. This means that as Explore actions are taken, the number of treasures in each chamber may differ. Once the prepared pile of Treasure cards runs out, no more treasures are added to the chambers when sandstorms happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
hellohooray wrote:

Neither one, I must say.

Quote:

I get my clarification from the rules themselves. Here is a long quote (with my highlight) regarding the Buried Ruins.

During Play: Whenever a Sandstorm card is drawn, the player who drew it immediately adds 1 card to each chamber, using cards from the pile prepared during setup. These cards are placed faceup in the chambers so that all cards in the chambers are visible to all players. Then, play continues as normal regarding the effects of the sandstorm, including the decision to use a Tent or not. In this way, more treasures are revealed as sandstorms occur. This means that as Explore actions are taken, the number of treasures in each chamber may differ. Once the prepared pile of Treasure cards runs out, no more treasures are added to the chambers when sandstorms happen.

Yeah I played this wrong my first game, you keep filling all 3 chambers until the treasure cards run out. We also didn't reveal the cards face up our first play either blush that's what I get for not reading the rules for the monuments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
... that's what I get for not reading the rules for the monuments.

Useful sequence: Read; play; go read again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
hellohooray wrote:

Neither one, I must say.

Quote:

I don't think the OP was suggesting that cards are added to the chambers after someone uses a map card to explore. The question was more about whether empty chambers can still be restocked or whether you simply add to the remaining chambers.

The OP's first interpretation is correct, as supported by the rules you've quoted. Also, if you think about it, if empty chambers couldn't be restocked, you could quickly end up with three empty chambers and still some treasure left to be buried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiderjerusalemOX wrote:
TVis wrote:
hellohooray wrote:

Neither one, I must say.

Quote:

I don't think the OP was suggesting that cards are added to the chambers after someone uses a map card to explore. The question was more about whether empty chambers can still be restocked or whether you simply add to the remaining chambers.

The OP's first interpretation is correct, as supported by the rules you've quoted. Also, if you think about it, if empty chambers couldn't be restocked, you could quickly end up with three empty chambers and still some treasure left to be buried.

In retrospect I do see how I interpreted the imprecise wording for #1 to mean adding a card "for the empty chamber alone" when he may have meant "including the empty chamber".

Nonetheless I was reacting to his phrase, "whenever a new sandstorm card comes up", and do not follow how you came to conclude I was thinking it about "after someone uses a map card to explore"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.