Subject: So, how about a nice wooden card display? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One commercially available poker chip case (because nobody likes playing with paper money), filled with nice ceramic chips.

But what is this? Space beneath the chip racks? Hmmm, need to fill it with something.

What about this? Might it be ....

A card rack?

I need to stain it a colour to match the chip case, and put some baize on the bottom, but for a few hours work* I'm pretty pleased with it.

* no, it shouldn't really take a few hours. But this was the first time that I'd used any woodwork machinery for nearly a year. And cutting dados with an unguarded table saw is not something to be rushed. But I didn't make just the one. I bought eight chip cases, so made eight card racks. The good news is, I'm keeping one, one goes to a charity auction, so there are six available for purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So, what this game really needs is
Richard, you at the Bolton Games Day tomorrow? Bring one (or two) along and I'll have a look at it (and maybe buy it). Geekmail me a mobile number and I'll give you a buzz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fraid not. My next three scheduled outings are Baycon, Beer & Pretzels, and the UK Games Expo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Richard, I'm interested in your "invention"!
Sent you a forum mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Nice setup. Poker chips are just so ugly I'd rather play with the included paper money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips are a personal thing, but there are so many different sets that it's hard not to find one that you like. But the real benefit of them is that you can see how much you (and other players) have at a glance, and cash hadling operations (like earning mney from a sale) is so much faster. Food Chain Magnate says 2-4 hours on the side of the box, but noe of our games have lasted that long; even yesterday's game, where we had all $300 cards in the reserve and I was selling at $4 an item, still took under three hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And postage overseas is cripplingly expensive for something made of wood. It basically doubles the price inside the EU, and trebles it and then some to the rest of the world. Much easier to buy a similar box locally and throw money at a hobby woodworker.

I've decided to skip staining it, partly on grounds of cost (B&Q want silly mony for a tin of woodstain), and partly because two friends have siad that it looks fine without!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Richard - looks mighty fine. I'll be at the UK Games Expo in June and would be keen to grab one of these from you--how much are you hoping to get for them? Happy to take this offline, but wanted to publicly praise the effort in the first instance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
£15 covers my costs. I reckon I can get two to the Expo on any given day. They're not that large, but my panniers are small, and somehow I've got to pedal up Coleshill High Street with the extra weight (and I'm out of condition and my legs terribly weedy this year; it's like going back to the beginning with my cycling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.