Subject: Rules questions for English version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kelly
United States
Winthrop
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just picked up the Days of Wonder version and had a few questions about the rules (forgive me if I missed the answers in the rules):

1. The manual says that when a battle with a Legendary Pirate occurs, any player not involved in the volley can roll for the LP. How is this determined exactly? and what of the unlikely situtation where everyone is involved?

2. If the Royal Navy is not defeated, does it stay at the island or disappear? I saw a question about this in a faq file, but i'm still not sure.

3. When you go through the pile of tavern cards, are the discards reshuffled and used again?

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Rules questions for English version
Good Questions - I never even thought about question #1 happening.

For question 2, the Royal Navy disappears. It only surfaces when the card is played and after the battle (wino or lose), it disappears until someone plays another card.

For question 3, the cards do get reshuffled if you use them all and you use them again.

I can't say exactly what pages in the rules these are addressed but they are. I'm sure about the answers for 2 and 3, your first question I don't know.

I also have an interesting question that came up in a game. The legendary pirate was the Cacafuego and it just so happened to surface for the first time on treasure island (#6). (The other one had just been defeated on Island 5). The rules say that the competing pirates fight and whoever wins gets the booty. However the rules also state there is no fighting on Treasure Island. So, what happens? This will rarely happen, but the house rule we made was we would roll the dice and divide (and round up). Open to any other suggestions however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson (#21591),

The german rules only had Blackbeard, and he definitely fought you even if you were at Treasure Island. If I understand your question (I don't claim I do), and you want to use the German rules as a guide (I would), then yes... You do have to fight legendary pirates at Treasure Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are right - Legendary Pirates fight at Treasure Island - but the players do not fight each other at Treasure Island. The Cacafuego (new in Pirate's Cove) is a Legendary Pirate, but does not fight - if there is more than 1 player at the island where the Cacafuego is, then they fight and the winner gets the booty. (The booty in this case for the Cacafuego is you throw one die and you get that many fame points). The problem is: Since players are not supposed to fight one another at Treasure Island, how do you split the booty (fame points)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson (#21617),I admit you got us on that one as this never occurred in our play testing. You could play it one of two ways:
1. The Cacafuego has so much treasure on board that the pirate players present on Treasure Island fight it out despite the gentlemen's agreement never to fight on Pirate's Cove. Afterall this is the most "logical" way, since you would have to fight any other legendary pirate showing up on Treasure Island. It's just that the Cacafuego relies on the other player's greed to defend itself

2. Or (less interesting imho) you split the treasure by the number of pirates showing up (since it's rounded down, if 4 or more show up, it's worthless anyway).

eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
utopiaxyz (#21450),
if everyone is involved, then select someone, and switch when it's that player's turn so that he/she doesn't roll against himself. It's not too important anyway since the only thing to do is roll the dice (ie there's no choice to make, unlike when fighting the Royal Navy).
As for with the Royal Navy, this cannot really happen as the person who sends the Navy can't send the Navy to his own island of destination.
hope this helps,
Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich (#21692),

I've read the .pdf rules and perhaps I missed it but what happens if multiple ships are battling a legendary pirate? Who gets the fame? All players that survive split it? Whoever dealt the crippling blow?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There will be only 1 surviving pirate and he/she gets the fame. First the player's pirates team up against the legendary pirate. If they defeat the legendary pirate, then they fight each other. The winner gets the fame. (It doesn't matter at all who struck the crippling blow either he may have been defeated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Al Johnson (#21701),

This isn't true if the Legendary Pirate is encountered at Treasure Island. Fighting between players is prohibited there. So what happens if two players encounter Blackbeard there and defeat him.

I find it curious that the rules would provide different answers depending upon where the Legendary Pirate is faced. Can you point me to the page in the rules that lead you to your response?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#21708),
Actually what the rules say (or intent to say, anyway
) is that all the surviving player pirates split the fame (rounded down, if need be), then fight it out between each other. Remember that each time a pirate ship (whether player-controlled or not) get sunk, the remaining player pirates collect 1 point of fame each (if the ship sunk was a player's ship) or the split fame value.
eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich (#21735),

I found this answer myself upon rereading the rules. I was just about to correct myself

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximum Number of cards? Holding on to cards?

Is there a maximum number of tavern cards a player can have?

Is there a limit as to how long you can hold onto a tavern card?

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Waido
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
Re:Maximum Number of cards? Holding on to cards?
Duglis (#21814),
Is there a maxium number of tavern cards that a player can have?

I can't find any limitation in the rules. Any time a player plunders Tavern Island (#1), he can buy up to 3 Tavern cards at a cost of 2 gold each (a total of 6 gold for 3 cards). If there were to be a limitation, this is where the rules would likely need to state so. For example, the rules would likely need to stay that a player can purchase up to 3 cards "as long a the total number of tavern cards the player has does not exceed # tavern cards"

Also, when players plunder other islands (#2 through #5) they get the number of tavern cards indicated on the Treasure card (if any).

So, again, I can't find any limitation in the rules.

Is there a limit as to how long you can hold on to a tavern card?

Again, I can find nothing in the rules that limits how long a player can hold a tTavern card. Of course, certain cards have limitations on their use. For example, a combat Battle card is good for the entire battle a player is involved in. After the battle is over the card is turned in. A combat Volley card is good for only the volley (one roll of the dice) it is used then the card is turned in. Other cards, e.g., Fame cards, are held by the player until the end of the game then added to the player's total on the Fame Track.

If a player suffers a Mutiny he must surrender all gold and treasure on his ship and lose -2 Fame points, but evidently gets to keep his Tavern cards.

So again, I can find no limitation in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kcwaido (#21838),
all your answers are correct
eric @ Days of Wonder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich (#21856),

Long John Silver's Parrot vs a battle card Question

Hi.
If i have the battle card that says you are to use the crew rating for the upcoming battle (even if it is higher than the cannon rating)... what does it do if i play this card against
someone who has Long John Silver's Parrot which states that his owner gets to fire 6 dice all the time in combat (yet the parrot is stationed on the cannon)and this player has only a value of 3 for his crew?

1. Does the Parrot win out over the card? He still fires 6 dice and the card fails.
or
2. Does the card win out over the parrot? He only gets to fire 3 dice for his crew even though his parrot says he gets to fire 6 dice, because the parrot equates with the Cannon?

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric answered my question elsewhere

The official answer is:

The parrot overrides the other card (ie you get to fire all 6 cannons). That's why a speedy ship and two well placed shots on those damned volatiles go a long way toward making life simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Noblejas
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Here's another quick question:

Since you can only have 1 Mastercraft card on your ship at anytime, can you replace the one on your ship during the Upgrade phase with any other one you draw from a Tavern card? For example, if I have a Mastercraft card on my hull, but later on during the game I draw a Mastercraft for my cannons, can I discard the Mastercraft for my hull and replace it with the one for my cannons? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Noblejas
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
I just read my question and it may be confusing. What I meant to say is can I replace the Mastercraft card on my ship during the Upgrade phase with a Mastercraft card in my hand? The reason I ask is I see 2 advantages on this:

1. Move the Mastercraft card to the section of the ship where your parrot is at if you happen to get the parrot later on during the game.

2. Replace a damaged Mastercraft card with a new one without paying the 1 gold.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
j0j0707 (#22401),
Never even really considered this, but sure, why not ???
As long as the other one is discarded back in the pile, why not. It's better for the other players, all things considered, than hoarding the (otherwise unusable card) so that they can't get it.
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Sylvester
United States
Lewiston
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

These questions were never answered:

1. The manual says that when a battle with a Legendary Pirate occurs, any player not involved in the volley can roll for the LP. How is this determined exactly? and what of the unlikely situtation where everyone is involved?

Also, how do you determine who gets to play the LP? What if two players (A and B) are facing an LP and the other two players (C and D) have different goals in mind as to how the LP should be played? For example, C wants to focus the LP's wrath against A, but D wants to focus on B. How do you determine if C or D get to control the LP, because this choice could very seriously hurt either A or B, leaving them nearly crippled once the LP is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ErisQuilty wrote:

These questions were never answered:

It's only rolling dice - anyone should essentially be able to roll for the LP with equal possible results, even the person getting attacked. If you want some official way to determine who rolls for the LP then use the method elsewhere mentioned in the rules for deciding such things - highest roll of a die wins the honor.

Also, how do you determine who gets to play the LP? What if two players (A and B) are facing an LP and the other two players (C and D) have different goals in mind as to how the LP should be played? For example, C wants to focus the LP's wrath against A, but D wants to focus on B. How do you determine if C or D get to control the LP, because this choice could very seriously hurt either A or B, leaving them nearly crippled once the LP is gone.

Neither player gets to control the LP. They are only rolling dice for him - the attack pattern follows a predetermined script. The LP ALWAYS attacks potential targets in a predetermined order, as instructed on the card, and ALWAYS attacks a particular part of that target's ship, as instructed on the card.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A mastercraft card can be played whenever you upgrade your ship; does it have to be played on the section of your ship that you're upgrading? If I'm upgrading at Hull Island, can I put the Mastercraft card on my sails?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cacafuego showed up at Treasure island on Turn 12 in our first game (Captain Hook took a beating on Island 5 on turn 11). While the "fighting it out among the players" idea is sort of realistic, it definitely hoses the finish of the game as the players who lost were sent away and did not get to bury treasure...hmm. A couple of them had definitely planned with parrots/mastercraft/cards to take on whatever nasty pirate showed up for victory points and treasure burial.

While it is less exciting, splitting victory points is what we chose. Funny that you can playtest a game endlessly, and another group faces a weird occurrence in their first game... Murphy loves us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.