Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From an article on Upgright Gaming - Which stage are you in?

Full Link: http://www.uprightgaming.com

I'm in 5, it matches me almost to a T. Starting to find my niche and slowing down a bit on buying games. I still LOVE kickstarter, but I'm a bit more discriminatory in what I buy. I started trading games last year and have found that my list of games that I own and do not want has shrunk dramatically.

Poll
Which Stage of a Board Gamer best describes you?
1. Blissfully Oblivious
2. Discovery
3. Newbie
4. Crazed
5. Realisation
6. Embracing
7. Guru
      470 answers
Poll created by MAJBrown22
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been in this a while. Feel like I know my stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
8. Jaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever one fits Too Many Games, Too Little Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I'm closest to 6. Embracing. I hope to never get to 7.Guru. It just sounds way too boring.

"Your collection is the perfect range of games that you like."

I hope the game industry keeps producing new varieties of games that spark my interest, and I hope my collection never becomes "perfect". That would be horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the "Crazed" category (emphasis mine):

Quote:
You initially convinced yourself that you would try one or two board games, but somehow you’ve ended up spending a lot of money on new board games and come to accept that board gaming is your new hobby.

It looks like my desire to save money is keeping me from reaching the "Crazed" category. My collection of games is still very small.

Do I need to turn in my Geek badge? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say I'm up to Embracing, but I still have too many games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
8. Jaded.

This is the one I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
I think I'm closest to 6. Embracing. I hope to never get to 7.Guru. It just sounds way too boring.

I hope the game industry keeps producing new varieties of games that spark my interest, and I hope my collection never becomes "perfect". That would be horrible.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Sure, every so often a new game may pop up that catches my eye (Star Wars: Rebellion, I'm looking at you!), but, mostly, I've been collecting games for an awful long while, and I'm pretty content with my collection. Right now, my difficulty is in finding opportunities to play what I've already got, not in acquiring yet more dust magnets. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's #6: Embracing

Quote:
You are quietly accepting and at peace with your decision to become a board gamer for life. Your family knows you love board games and probably play them with you. Your friends know love board games, and you have great gaming groups. You’ve committed to assigning part of your house to be a board gaming room. For the first time, you’ve started to remove games from your collection. Maybe you’ve sold the games, or you simply don’t have space to keep practically all of them. Mentally you accept that you don’t need to play every game, and you’ve probably narrowed down a handful of games that you want to play regularly.

So far, the majority of voters believe themselves to be at this stage. We like to think that we are "quietly accepting and at peace." But maybe most of us are still at
#5: Realization:

Quote:
Either reality starts to set in or you’re going broke. Either way, you realise that it’s hard to find the people and time to play games at the rate that you are buying them. You’ve started to understand that board games are not Pokemon and you don’t have to catch ’em all. You begin to enjoy certain categories of board games more than others. Your purchases aren’t as impulsive as before, and you’ve discovered you don’t have enough time to play all the games you want to, but you still buy a game once or twice a month. The physical sign that you are at this stage is you have a set of shelves that are now full of board games and you’ve started to plan your dedicated game room.

Or maybe even still at
#4: Crazed

Quote:
You initially convinced yourself that you would try one or two board games, but somehow you’ve ended up spending a lot of money on new board games and come to accept that board gaming is your new hobby. You spend your paychecks on regular impulse board gaming buys and kick starters. You religiously watch your favourite youtube channel and you have decided to try and find matching game players who have similar tastes to you to play games. You start looking for the best deals on Amazon and you’re kick-starting each modern new board games coming out. Although the big signal that you’re at this stage, is that your secret birthday wishlists for your friends now has board games on it.

If we're BGG regular users, I believe we're still searching for the perfect game. That's not #6. It's a combination of #4, 5, and 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of friends who board game I was never a 1 but I am now totally a 4

There's a nagging in the back of my mind constantly that I need to upgrade to a 5 for the sake of my bank account.

It's hard not to snap of every game right now because apparently 2015 was an amazing year to be a board gamer and at my FLGS those games just stare at me..... calling to me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 excepting the part about having a gaming group. at this stage of my life, i don't have any regular group. I would like to but work + baby says no.

that being said, i do have friends who (when they are in town) get together and we MAKE time for a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Still Crazed and spending too much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to many people think they're gurus...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent waayyy to much time in stage 4. It's funny reading these and feeling like they've been spying on you. Are we that textbook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
6 is more fitting but still some elements of 5 as my collection still expands every now and then

Our room is not just for boardgames but also hubby's computer and flight games...and we are still planning on redoing the whole thing...but we have a space for fun stuff let's say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
Australia
Ceduna
South Australia
flag msg tools
OI! Get away from there! Oh... ummm... You from near Ceduna? Hit me up for a game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4, moving into 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at 5. My collection has grown a lot in the past 2 years but I am slowing down on purchases unless it's a really good sale.

I have so many plans of what I want to play and with who but I'm realizing that these plans often don't become reality. There are just too many variables with an open meetup group (game preferences, skill level, types of player etc). I rarely end up playing what I bring and that is frustrating.

edit:missed a word
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much 6, trying to move a bunch out while still growing as that's how these things work. It is nice to have the odd new stimulus, but we don't need to play all the games (or even want to), and don't even need to get to something right away. Nowadays I try to meet players more than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:

I hear ya, it would be close to the end of the world if I only had games I really enjoyed and new exactly what I liked and didnt like. That way, I wouldnt waste any time on bad games, which is where all the fun in the hobby is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn De Ceunynck
Belgium
Boom
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhere between 4 crazed and 5 realisation. I love buying games but I don't play as much games as I'd like to.

Nice article!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there one where I don't define myself by my consumption?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm transitioning from 4 to 5. I've realized that gaming is my new hobby, but my collection is still small and I'm looking to try out more games. I only recently discovered Kickstarter, I mean I've known it existed for sometime but it wasn't until about 6 months ago I started using it. That said, I am becoming more discriminatory in what I Kickstart and I'm trying play test before I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Lewis
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am currently crazed about gaming. I hope I reach a realization soon though, my wallet is really suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still Crazed but slowly evolving into Realization. But I also have some of the characteristics from Embracing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.