6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Romulan Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Mentat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would share my own dabblings in a STAW expansion.

This is an attempt to recreate the STO T6 Romulan Morrigu Warbird. In the picture, you can see the P.W.B. ELIETH and her sistership P.W.B. MIRIJEL.
Updated the P.W.B. ELIETH expansion and added P.W.B. MIRIJEL
Added the I.R.W. LARAEL and the I.R.W. NIMI'IR expansions.

Feedback and suggestions are most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMentat wrote:
I thought I would share my own dabblings in a STAW expansion.

This is an attempt to recreate the STO T6 Romulan Morrigu Warbird. In the picture, you can see the P.W.B. ELIETH and her sistership P.W.B. MIRIJEL.
I will start with the Custom Expansion for the P.W.B. ELIETH.

...and I immediately realize that I am not smart enough to upload any pdf files in this post. Maybe someone can instruct me what to do. Cheers!

So do I honestly need permission from WizKids to upload a custom cards file to boardgamegeek? Someone please fill me in, since I have no clue about the limitations of custom expansions and cards for Star Trek Attack Wing. If this gets complicated, I will rather refrain from posting anything here.

I post jpegs. You can do that with the little folder icon with the arrow sticking out of the bottom. Right below the emoticons 10th from the left hand side of the command bar which starts with the bolding command.

You could probably also post PDFs to the files section of the forum, but a jpeg might be better because it would be linked with this forum post.

I might be wrong but I don't think you need to consult WK (I don't). After all you're just posting ideas for people to look at, you're not selling it, but I'm not a lawyer so I'm not giving legal advice. Plus if we had to wait for WK to respond that might take quite a while.

Nice job on the model change by the way

EDIT: I'll make basically the same comments I made in Facebook. Good ship with good cards. If I had any qualms it would be about the captain -- is he too good (built in Monotanium Armor really). But the proof is in the playing -- put it on the board with a tolerant friend and see what happens. I like the production quality (better than mine) and I like the cards. The only real thing that distinguishes them from WK's is that they are probably more functional than we get from WK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to test out new customs is to let someone else play it against you. You will quickly see if it is overpowered or needs adjusting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Best way to test out new customs is to let someone else play it against you. You will quickly see if it is overpowered or needs adjusting.

I whole-heartedly agree with this, this is exactly how I try things out the first time, it's easiest to see if it works when you're not the one at its helm. I also generally recommend using 100% official cards in the opposing build to the one you're testing, just to help form the baseline.

The resolution on the JPEG you posted is just right for printing, so I'd say that's definitely a successful way to post the cards. Also really glad to see the arc chart catch on, it makes it much easier to know how to proxy it.

The only card that I have concerns with on a balance level is the Intimidation Talent, in a faction with habitually low defense dice, it'd be understandable, but since Romulans have Cloak and attack redirection can counter Target Locks, it's very powerful for a 3 SP disable. Being a discard at least would be more consistent with the usual attack-cancel fare.

Still, it's a neat contribution to the game that gives Romulans a little more excitement in their lives, and definitely a great debut for a custom expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Pretty good.

2 things I see off the bat. I think the ship should have either a come about or a reverse not both. Just a little to much. Also The named ship ability should just clarify that the SE before you move should only be used if you started out cloaked. At least I think that is the intent of the ships ability... I could be wrong???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
Here is my review on the card abilities and power level.

PWB Elieth: Nice stats, good to see a decent attack value. The maneuverer dial is very powerful and I agree make it either a reverser or a flip direction ship. Bank 2 greens could be changed to white as it is a large ship. The ability to free sensor echo is a bit too nice. There is no disadvantage like an Aux or "no actions this round" and even Chang can only do this by a 1 movement ruler.

Captain Parem: Good card, balanced about right for the points.

Romulan Engineer: Nice card, as it isn't an action or a free action I don't think there is anything stopping you using it if you had an AUX so the last sentence isn't needed.

Intimidation: Ouch. At 3 points this should be a discard. It should also be an action.

Heavy Pulse Disruptors: a good weapon card (for once) and 6 attack with free BS conversions and the ability to target lock in the same turn is good. Compared to just firing the primary weapon of 5 dice though it isn't overpowered for the 6 point cost. Good that it cant fire pout the read arc as that

Romulan Battlecloak: 1 point more expensive than the Advanced Cloaking tech upgrade and gets you the same thing and free BS conversions making the cloak 66% more effective than usual. Too powerful. I would drop the advanced cloaking text and just keep the BS to evade ability and maybe drop the points to 4.

PWB Mirijel: Like it. Add the words "as a free action" so it can't be done if you have an AUX or overlap an enemy etc.

Captain Namaah: Very similar to one of the Valdore captains, points about right.

Elude Them: too powerful. Should be a discard. Delete second paragraph. I would say that adding the words "You can't attack this round" if you do the 90 degree turn would be appropriate.

Additional Disruptors: Excellent idea and not too overpowered, unless you add it to a Scimitar so maybe points of primary weapon value -1 would be better.

Projected Singularity: The rules for picking up and placing intervening ships need more details. Who places then, facing, etc. I suggest the target ships player gets to place them in contact with the token but cannot change the facing. I assume no defence dice against the 2 damage.

Cloaked Ambush: Nice idea. a little situational and certainly better on high skill captains. Possibly make it an action.

Captain Marduk: Quite powerful but it involves getting a target lock and discarding the captain so probably balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.