Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Book p5 wrote:
Once at a new Location, the Player MUST select one of the two location actions possible.

Here's the situation: It's the last round and there's nothing I can do. I have 4 works of art in my gallery so I can't by any more. There aren't any undiscovered artist so I can't do that. I have three unfulfilled contracts so I can't take another. I don't want to sell anything, I have no assistants so I can't go to the international market, and I have 0 influence so I can't promote any artists. The only thing I can do is buy an assistant which gets me no benefit and costs three coins… Which I don't really want to spend. What am I supposed to do in this situation? Is there a way to NOT take an action?

I ended up buying an assistant for 3g... what would have happened if I didn't have any money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule you quote requires you to select an action. It says nothing whatsoever about actually performing that action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
You can actually get another contract. It would replace one of the ones you already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
You can actually get another contract. It would replace one of the ones you already have.

Actually, you can't do that.

Rule Book p9 wrote:
If a player has three unfulfilled (face-up) contract cards on his Player board, he may not sign a new contract (i.e. Take a new contract card)

Would have been nice though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
In this post Vital seems to say that you must take an action if possible.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/20865271#20865271

I am of the opinion that you shouldn't be forced to take an action unless you want to. It's bad enough to waste a turn without having the game thrust unwanted actions on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are able to take an action, you must. The only way to not take an action is if you can't do any action at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
If you are able to take an action, you must. The only way to not take an action is if you can't do any action at all.

Potentially. There is no official source on this, is there? Aside from that post I linked to, which only implies what you say.

The rules never say that you must choose a location such that you can perform the action, and they never say that you cannot choose a location action unless you can perform it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
zenxacred wrote:

Potentially. There is no official source on this, is there? Aside from that post I linked to, which only implies what you say.

The rules never say that you must choose a location such that you can perform the action, and they never say that you cannot choose a location action unless you can perform it.

Didn't have one, so I asked the lovely Mr. Lacerda xD

https://twitter.com/vitallacerda/status/709112266029981696
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the source!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, that answer from Twitter is not answering the question asked. It is simply a statement that you may not voluntarily pass on an action, but says nothing about involuntarily passing (because you cannot do an action on your chosen space) nor does it answer the question of whether or not you may choose a space where you cannot complete an action bypassing one where you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only choose a space and not take the action if you can't take actions in any space. And that is a very rare situation that only happens with very poor play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was right and my best option was to spend the 3 coins...

Good thing I had the 3g for an assistant otherwise I'd be forced to sell an artwork.

Gotta try to not get in such situations I guess. Thanks for all your responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
that is a very rare situation that only happens with very poor play.

Kick 'em while their down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JonBen wrote:
newrev wrote:
that is a very rare situation that only happens with very poor play.

Kick 'em while their down!

Like in life, poor play deserves a requisite spankin', and the spanked should take it with quiet, dignity, and grace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. S.
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious why you didn't want to sell art? Money = points at the end of the game and by that time surely one of those pieces would retail at a high value. Were you aiming for a curator bonus, or combo curator bonus, that out scored that option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustBelt wrote:
Curious why you didn't want to sell art? Money = points at the end of the game and by that time surely one of those pieces would retail at a high value. Were you aiming for a curator bonus, or combo curator bonus, that out scored that option?

You get full value for unsold art at the end of the game. Therefore, it would be unwise to break up a curator set bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. S.
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
RustBelt wrote:

You get full value for unsold art at the end of the game. Therefore, it would be unwise to break up a curator set bonus.

Ah, that's right. So I'll assume he had a curator bonus that he shouldn't break up. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that selling allows you to through a party or take an investor meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the "sign a contract" action say
Quote:
If a Player reveals new contracts, he may then
choose not to take one of them, although this is
not advisable.

So this is a way you can do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
RustBelt wrote:
MDJD wrote:
RustBelt wrote:

Ah, that's right. So I'll assume he had a curator bonus that he shouldn't break up. Thanks.

Exactly. For the curator card bonus I needed all the paintings in the gallery that I had.

newrev wrote:
Remember that selling allows you to through a party or take an investor meeting.

I don't think it would have been as good as the curator bonus, though. But influence parties and money showers are always a good options to consider when ending the game.

andylatto wrote:
Quote:
not advisable.

I think this is a great idea but I'm still not sure about the legality of it.

Rule book p.9 wrote:
If a player has three unfulfilled (face-up) contract cards on his Player board, he may not sign a new contract (i.e. Take a new contract card).

So, that most likely means, "can't take the sign a new contract action" which is the same action that refills the contracts. But I'm not sure about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
Quote:
not advisable.

Technically you do something. You reveal four new contracts. Would have helped Alan, but the question remains: Can you do that if you know you won't be able to take a new one? I think the answer is 'no'. You can't take the "New contract" action if you have three unfulfilled contracts in your board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's have the full text shall we?
Quote:
This action allows a Player to take one of the face-up
contract cards available in the display and place
it onto his own Player board.

Before performing this action, the Player may draw
4 new contracts from the deck and place them,
left to right, on top of the four current contracts.
The older contracts are not removed; instead they
are covered over with the new cards.

not advisable.
So the action is "take a contract". If you can't do that, you can't place the worker. If you can do it, but choose not to, that's OK. Odd, but thems the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

newrev wrote:

I don't think it would have been as good as the curator bonus, though.

It can be, if you've gone deep on investment or have the cash for influence reputation tile. The game I played on Sunday I had seven Investors and two Collectors in my gallery, so if I'd been forced to sell art and break a bonus I would have at worst broken even. Generally speaking, though, if you have three contracts you should be able to break the smaller Curator bonus over the big one. Getting $10 of visitors into the Gallery isn't too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

newrev wrote:

I don't think it would have been as good as the curator bonus, though.

It can be, if you've gone deep on investment or have the cash for influence reputation tile. The game I played on Sunday I had seven Investors and two Collectors in my gallery, so if I'd been forced to sell art and break a bonus I would have at worst broken even. Generally speaking, though, if you have three contracts you should be able to break the smaller Curator bonus over the big one. Getting $10 of visitors into the Gallery isn't too hard.

I think that's a really good option if you have the investors in your gallery.

Unfortunately, I didn't have that many investors in my gallery at the time. Here's a picture from this exact game. It's the endgame after final scoring. I purchased an assistant for 3g as my final move because I think it was the best move I could have done in this situation, even though it didn't gain me anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
You can only choose a space and not take the action if you can't take actions in any space. And that is a very rare situation that only happens with very poor play.

Ok so in our game tonight - a similar situation happened. Last turn of the game the guy couldn't take any action (for various reasons) EXCEPT spend $5 to hire an assistant (and get no bonus).

Does that mean he's FORCED to essentially throw 5 points down the drain?

I get that if you can do an action you can't pass... but what if that action does absolutely nothing besides lose you points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.