GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Quartermaster General» Forums » General

Subject: Disappointed by this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam S
msg tools
So I've only played twice now, but I simply do not feel inspired to play again, at least the base game anyway. The only interesting decision seemed to be choosing which 7 cards to keep at the beginning. After that, the game seems to play itself with one clearly better card to play each turn, occasionally a choice between two, but very little strategy beyond that initial choice. Both games the Allies have won by a landslide (what can Axis do when Britain draws ability to build in India, Australia, and Canada within the first few rounds, it didn't even matter that they took Britain).

My group didn't enjoy it much either. Is this just us? Are there variants we can try to increase strategic depth, like having access to your whole deck the whole time? Does Air Marshal increase the interesting decisions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You get to do the whole of WWII in 60 minutes. Strategic depth isn't really on offer. It's more an amusing ride of ups and downs largely determined by card draws. Not everyone's cup of tea but we find it an excellent light laugh in the evening after some heavier gaming throughout the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
For the most strategic play, it's best played as a 2 player game. That way each player is totally in control of how the allied powers support each other, and longer term planning is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheProdigal wrote:
So I've only played twice now, but I simply do not feel inspired to play again, at least the base game anyway. The only interesting decision seemed to be choosing which 7 cards to keep at the beginning. After that, the game seems to play itself with one clearly better card to play each turn, occasionally a choice between two, but very little strategy beyond that initial choice. Both games the Allies have won by a landslide (what can Axis do when Britain draws ability to build in India, Australia, and Canada within the first few rounds, it didn't even matter that they took Britain).

(The Canada card doesn't allow them to build in Canada, but that is just a minor correction).

Quote:
My group didn't enjoy it much either. Is this just us? Are there variants we can try to increase strategic depth, like having access to your whole deck the whole time? Does Air Marshal increase the interesting decisions?

It is important to realize that this game is a fast one--you can generally play a full, 6 player game in less than an hour, at which point everyone moves a chair to the left and plays again. Which is one of its strengths.

That being said, there are plenty of interesting decisions to be made that are strategic, rather than tactical--i.e. does the US go towards Europe or Asia?; does the UK mess around in India or Australia or go straight for Germany?; does Italy try to maximize point score or prop up Germany with armies and battles?; does Japan go right for China (which often goes badly) or race to Australia/India? These are the questions that make the game interesting, not necessarily "what card do I play from my hand this turn".

The base game is, arguably, tilted towards the Allies. If luck is average, the Allies probably win. If the Allies are lucky, the Allies probably win. If the Axis are lucky, the Axis probably win. Air Marshal makes the game a little more even, and adds more tactical decision making (it adds air forces which make combat a little less 1:1 and bolster cards, which allow you to play more than one card a turn in the appropriate situations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further, one of the most important tactical decisions in the game is when to discard your cards (in order to draw more) but this is an option that new players typically neglect.

Every nation has 30 cards or more, and you will typically play fewer than 20 in a game, so understanding which cards are the most important in a given situation is critical.

Regarding the point sources, there are 6 neutral point spaces in the game and it isn't too hard for Axis to control three (China, Western Europe, Ukraine, and maybe India or Australia depending on how UK plays). Axis also have more point scoring cards in their decks. The Allies have only two - and the UK Canada card is generally not worth the huge setup effort.

Finally, is UK gets Australia and India, and has to fight Japan for it, Germany and Italy may be able to take the UK capital and deny their points completely. Alternately, they could pummel Soviet Union (an easier target) and just enjoy those easy supply points.

Things really get hard for the Axis when all three Allies focus on Europe. The game becomes a race between an unchecked Japan acquiring a points lead, and the efforts of the Allies to take German and Italian capitals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
blackstratguy wrote:
For the most strategic play, it's best played as a 2 player game. That way each player is totally in control of how the allied powers support each other, and longer term planning is possible.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheProdigal wrote:
(what can Axis do when Britain draws ability to build in India, Australia, and Canada within the first few rounds, it didn't even matter that they took Britain).

If a country's home space is occupied, it skips the Victory step - so the UK wouldn't score for India, Australia, or Canada. Taking Britain definitely matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

It maybe that this game is not for you but to say that the choices are obvious is, I'd respectfully suggest, just your inexperience talking. Your comment about losing Britain seems to reinforce this.

Knowing the full power of each cards and how they can be combined or used to maximum effect takes time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the "Allies always win" front, I fear it may simply be a case of too little data.

My first three plays were all Allies landslide wins. And I, too, was tempted to wonder whether that was the inevitable pattern of the game. But my last two plays were both solid Axis victories - so I have evidence that both are possible. I'd imagine, were you to continue playing, that'd you'd increasingly perceive a balance that wasn't apparent in the first few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

TheProdigal wrote:
My group didn't enjoy it much either.

I'll add a different perspective to consider. Your comment which I quoted above, stood out for me.

Bottom Line: The game shouldn't be blamed. Why?

It's been my experience that if an entire group shares the same feeling about a game, there's a pattern at work. Here are a few possible reasons for a particular group pattern to emerge:
- Likely in most cases when a game isn't received well, perhaps it really is a poor game?
- Perhaps the group's poor opinion of what others consider to be a good game, is due simply to groupthink?
- Or more specifically, perhaps it's groupthink which is heavily influenced by the "alpha personality"... whatever he/she thinks is the way the group will go. Especially if it's late at night and people just want to go home.
- Perhaps the game wasn't played correctly, leading to a false conclusion?
- Perhaps the group went into the game with a different expectation than what the game was designed to provide?
- Perhaps the game doesn't fit the group's play style?

I'd wager one of the above reasons is to explain for the entire group not liking Quatermaster General. To narrow down which reason it may be, the first step is to objectively quantify the merit of the game. (I.e., is it really a good game or a poor game)? Luckily we have the BGG Geek Ratings and User Ratings to helps us out here...

QMG has a User Rating of 7.55. "So what?", you say! After all, there are hundreds of games on BGG rated "10" yet no one has ever heard of. Fair point.

So this is where the number of ratings, the shape of the bell curve, and the BGG Geek Rating come into play. Any ratings count above 400 (just my own gut feeling) indicates a solid, statistical base. If you look at the ratings graph, the bell curve has a sharp spike at the "8" rating. This indicates that the 7.55 isn't largely affected by ratings lower than "7". (This assumes that any game rated above "7" is a good game).

And finally, let's look at the BGG Geek Rating. Yes, it's not lost on me that the Geek Rating system is maligned and misunderstood. But still, it's the most "scientific" rating we have to look at, and for the purpose of this discussion, the most meaningful. For instance, what about those one-off games I mentioned above that have a user rating of "10"? Well, that "10" rating is shot down with a Geek Rating of "N/A", or perhaps "5.2".

You'll notice, that the closer the Geek Rating is to the User Rating, the more valid the User Rating is. Quatermaster General has a Geek Rating of 6.55. When compared to other games with a user rating in the "7" range, a Geek Rating of 6.55 is high. For instance, a lot of games with a user rating above "7" really aren't very good games, but are rated highly by a small fan base. In this case, you would likely seek a Geek Rating of something like "5.9", or maybe "6.0". Thusly, in such case, the Geek Rating does not validate the average user rating.

So it can be concluded that QMG's user rating of 7.55 is validated. And thusly, it's an objective assessment that the community considers Quartermaster General to be a good game.

Where am I going with this? Well, if QMG is objectively considered a good game, then it rules out the first reason for why the group didn't like the game. I.e., it isn't a poor game. Thusly if the group nonetheless considers it to be a poor game, then one of the other reasons is likely at play. Conclusion: the game shouldn't be blamed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that your strategy can be strongly influenced by the cards in your hand, I definitely don't think that the game "plays itself".

Sometimes games are so tight, one missed tempo by any one of the players can result in their faction's defeat. I must have played way over 100 games by now (and I'm still one of the noobs around here mind you) and no two ever played out the same way.

Of course, if all players on one side draw cards that don't really work well together while the others all get very strong hands, it may be impossible for them to win. I think this is a common problem with any card game though. I do agree that the Allies have an advantage (even more so in the expansion) but that didn't put me off playing this. I tried to figure out a house rule that would lead to more balanced outcomes for my group and I think I've been able to work out something that works for us. Everybody's mileage may of course differ.

TL;DR: Everybody's got different tastes so it's only natural that some people won't like this. I hope you can either figure out a way to play this game that is satisfying for you, or find another game that you enjoy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just to be sure you guys got the rules right:

You mentioned the overwhelming power of UK, but you know those Status cards only grant the ability to build in India & Australia, right? They don't place any armies; they just let you build there on another turn without the need to trace supply to the UK. (The Canada card does require supply, so it's even more time-consuming.)

Also, if the Axis took Britain (UK's home space), then Britain wouldn't be scoring any points anywhere. (Rulebook p. 18)

Mis-playing either of those rules would have devastating effects on game balance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S
msg tools
Thanks for the responses everyone. I wont trade the game away yet, we'll need to play it a few more times with the right rules:

Smolin wrote:
Just to be sure you guys got the rules right:

You mentioned the overwhelming power of UK, but you know those Status cards only grant the ability to build in India & Australia, right? They don't place any armies; they just let you build there on another turn without the need to trace supply to the UK. (The Canada card does require supply, so it's even more time-consuming.)

Also, if the Axis took Britain (UK's home space), then Britain wouldn't be scoring any points anywhere. (Rulebook p. 18)

Mis-playing either of those rules would have devastating effects on game balance!

Okay, we definitely goofed on the importance of having control of your capital! As far as Canada goes, we double goofed as we didn't realize the supply marker only counted for Britain, and just had the US occupy it. So the main thing I am still confused on: If a player's capital is occupied by the enemy, where are they allowed to build? It was our understanding that they could still build in Supply Star countries they or their ally occuplies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheProdigal wrote:
If a player's capital is occupied by the enemy, where are they allowed to build? It was our understanding that they could still build in Supply Star countries they or their ally occuplies?

The general rule is:

You may only build an Army next to one of your own supplied pieces.
You may only build a Navy next to one of your own supplied pieces, and only if there is also a friendly supplied Army next to it.

As a special case, you are also allowed to Build Armies into your own Home Space (unless it is occupied by the enemy).

No other exceptions apply (unless granted by Status cards and the like).

Sounds to me like you played a very different game indeed (as we did the first time we tried it. The concept of supply can be hard to grasp at times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Prodigal: Glad to help. That Canada error would certainly swing the balance in favor of the Allies, and make that card much more powerful!

As for the capital: if your capital is occupied by the enemy...well, you're pretty well screwed. You skip the Victory Step on your turn, meaning you don't score for any other supply spaces you occupy, or for any cards that give you VP bonuses during the Victory step.

You can get back into things with the right cards -- Soviets have a few good ones, like Shvernik's Evacuation Council or General Winter. If the space is unoccupied on your turn, you can play a Build Army card to build back in.

And just to be clear on the India & Australia status cards. Playing one of those cards is all that happens on your turn. You'd need to play a Build Army card on a subsequent turn to put an army there, and thus start gaining VP for it. Those Status cards only allow you to build -- they don't actually do the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And just to add to the above replies, if your home space is occupied, and you don't have the right cards that will allow you to regain control on your own, then it's up to your allies to regain it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

And just to add to the above replies, if your home space is occupied, and you don't have the right cards that will allow you to regain control on your own, then it's up to your allies to regain it for you.

Not necessarily. Assume Moscow is occupied by, say, an Italian Army, but the Soviets still have an Army in Ukraine. The Soviets could Land Battle from Ukraine and clear Moscow on one turn, then Build into Moscow on the next.

So, it's not like you automatically stop playing if your home space is occupied, as long as you were wise enough to travel to another base of operations, so to speak (for the Soviets for instance, India is also often a good spot. It's fairly easy to get there via Ukraine and Middle East for example). It just sucks that you don't score.

If you lose all your supply spaces then yes, you're wiped out of the board and need rescuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Witch Lord wrote:
So, it's not like you automatically stop playing if your home space is occupied,...

Very true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam S
msg tools
Smolin wrote:

You can get back into things with the right cards -- Soviets have a few good ones, like Shvernik's Evacuation Council or General Winter. If the space is unoccupied on your turn, you can play a Build Army card to build back in.

And just to be clear on the India & Australia status cards. Playing one of those cards is all that happens on your turn. You'd need to play a Build Army card on a subsequent turn to put an army there, and thus start gaining VP for it. Those Status cards only allow you to build -- they don't actually do the building.

Yes we did play the Australia and India status cards right, I do have a question on the "Increased Commonwealth Support" event card though: I know recruit means you can place it without being in supply, and since India and Australia are supply spaces once an army is recruited there they are automatically in supply (even without the status cards), right?

Also, as far as getting back into things if your capital is taken, can't you continue to build armies as normal so long as you occupy a different Supply Star country (so UK could continue to build out of India if they had a tank there?). That is what I gather from:

bgm1961 wrote:

If you lose all your supply spaces then yes, you're wiped out of the board and need rescuing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, you can continue to build armies from any other supply spaces you occupy. But you score no VP for any of them until your home space ceases to be occupied by the enemy.

And correct about Recruiting into supply spaces: if you can do it, it's yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:
If a player's capital is occupied by the enemy, where are they allowed to build? It was our understanding that they could still build in Supply Star countries they or their ally occuplies?

The general rule is:

You may only build an Army next to one of your own supplied pieces.
You may only build a Navy next to one of your own supplied pieces, and only if there is also a friendly supplied Army next to it.

No the friendly army piece may be unsupplied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheProdigal wrote:
[q="Smolin"]

Yes we did play the Australia and India status cards right, I do have a question on the "Increased Commonwealth Support" event card though: I know recruit means you can place it without being in supply, and since India and Australia are supply spaces once an army is recruited there they are automatically in supply (even without the status cards), right?

[q="bgm1961"]

No, recruiting an army in India before the card that allows you to place a supply base is played, will be unsupplied on the same turn unless supplied by another supply base. Thus recruiting is only valuable after the placement of the supply base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:

No, recruiting an army in India before the card that allows you to place a supply base is played, will be unsupplied on the same turn unless supplied by another supply base. Thus recruiting is only valuable after the placement of the supply base.

India and Australia come with permanent supply markers from the start.

owll wrote:
No the friendly army piece may be unsupplied.

Good catch! I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
owll wrote:

India and Australia come with permanent supply markers from the start.

Hhaha! I stand corrected myself also.
What was I thinking...I had in my mind the territories that have no at start supply bases like Canada, Singapore or East Duth indies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found it took a few plays to get the rules correct, but then it opens out into a great, great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.