Subject: Vassal beta test report, Scenario 8, The Sector Capital rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Patrick (Talon) and I (Terran) played Scenario 8 in Vassal (note this is a beta version and may not represent the final product).

In this scenario, the Talon are trying to land a hay-maker on a key Terran planet. The Terrans are slightly outgunned but the real goal here is to prevent the Talon player from dealing 50 points of damage to the planet (you are allowed to fire on the planet in this scenario; it represents the Talon destroying infrastructure and the evacuating Terran ships). Terrans just want to buy time. If they can be a big enough thorn in the Talon's side and lose by Last Ship Standing they may deny the Talon player a big victory and 3 lifetime score point.

I frame it from a losing perspective because I started losing this one early on! They can and have pushed the Talon back in the past...but not today.

I was basically kicking myself for this decision here the remainder of the game. My BC on the right had some decent shots on either the CA or BB from the front. It's the end of Round 1, I thought I could get the drop on him in A or B of Round 2 and land some side hits. I thought to myself: discretion is the better part of valor, right?

Wrong.

VALOR is the better part of valor. FIRING is the better part of valor. It's Impulse F, dammit, the F stands for FIRE!

My BC holds fire and does not survive Impulse A of the following round. Maybe I'm a little rusty. My DD gets shot once. ONCE. And loses his only weapon. He is now my CIC ship and flies to the edge of combat zone.

The game isn't over though. I still have a solid amount of firing power plus I can try to deny him a decisive win.

Mini Talon Puzzle

On the left side, my CL (who turned about to support the left flank BC) and that BC have an optimal move (if you can call it that) to prevent my BC from taking a critical damage. Can you see it? It's our part of Impulse A.

Here's near the end of the game. We were able to take out a few Talon ships with what we had left and do some serious hurt to the BB. In fact in my last meaningful Impulse my CL was able to cause a 2nd crit on the Talon BB. I was praying for boxcars -> FTL core breach. No such luck. My CL was the real hero of this battle. He took a beating. He even picked up the Shields Down crit but Scotty was able to get the shields back online within an Impulse.

The Vassal module has come a really long way, especially because, for so long I didn't think it'd be possible to have one for this game. At least not one that worked so smoothly.

Edit: My photos got declined again for being "100% similar", they should now be replaced with ones linked through imgur <rant>It was seriously a challenge to get this and the corresponding images posted, apparently they don't want session-related images posted under "Game" on the main game page. I'm not sure what is supposed to go in that category then. In the future I'll just post them to my account or imgur I guess.</rant>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrono280 wrote:
Edit: My photos got declined again for being "100% similar", they should now be replaced with ones linked through imgur <rant>It was seriously a challenge to get this and the corresponding images posted, apparently they don't want session-related images posted under "Game" on the main game page. I'm not sure what is supposed to go in that category then. In the future I'll just post them to my account or imgur I guess.</rant>

Yeah, photos in the game gallery should only be those that are so representative of the game that those browsing the game gallery would want to see them. If you just want to post photos of your particular game for your session report, that's what your personal gallery is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k. patrick barley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a great game if I do say so myself. Divided my Initial forces into a missile squad and a heavy weapon squad hoping my opponent would also spread. I got lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrono280 wrote:
Mini Talon Puzzle[/b][/u]
On the left side, my CL (who turned about to support the left flank BC) and that BC have an optimal move (if you can call it that) to prevent my BC from taking a critical damage. Can you see it? It's our part of Impulse A.
I can't even see how the Sun Tzu would take the critical since there's only two missiles targeted at it and the only ship that can currently re-direct one to it (the Hunter) won't get power until F.
Can you please clarify what I'm missing?

To reduce damage the Sun Tzu can charge the left phaser bank, Thor moves forward, and both unload phasers into the missiles to destroy one.
Thor could also fire a torpedo to (most likely) kill a second one, but I'd consider that a waste of firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k. patrick barley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lock on system is still in the works, when I deployed missiles they stacked on top of each other and I only locked on the top counter. The lower missiles thus did t lock, but they are still heading for the Sun Tzu.

That was the second idea Bob and I came to for this puzzle, but we found a solution that allowed the Sun Tzu to avoid a critical, while also pushing the offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowmeldk wrote:
The lock on system is still in the works, when I deployed missiles they stacked on top of each other and I only locked on the top counter. The lower missiles thus did t lock, but they are still heading for the Sun Tzu.

That was the second idea Bob and I came to for this puzzle, but we found a solution that allowed the Sun Tzu to avoid a critical, while also pushing the offense.
Thanks Patrick, makes sense.

If there are 4 missiles incoming all I got is either to destroy two or to destroy one and reinforce the left shields.
Either way the Thor will have to fire its torpedo at the missiles and hope not to roll a 1.
Sun Tzu can either charge the phaser and together with Thor's phaser take out a second missile, or Sun Tzu charges the left shield to take only 3 hull damage from 3 missiles.
If Talon are currently going first Thor can use it's battery to change initiative so that Sun Tzu gets two AP before the missiles hit. That allows to shoot down two and reinforce shields for only one hull damage.

As for offence, the Hunter likely won't make it to impulse B with two torpedoes at range 2 targeted at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k. patrick barley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
shadowmeldk wrote:

Thanks Patrick, makes sense.

If there are 4 missiles incoming all I got is either to destroy two or to destroy one and reinforce the left shields.
Either way the Thor will have to fire its torpedo at the missiles and hope not to roll a 1.
Sun Tzu can either charge the phaser and together with Thor's phaser take out a second missile, or Sun Tzu charges the left shield to take only 3 hull damage from 3 missiles.
If Talon are currently going first Thor can use it's battery to change initiative so that Sun Tzu gets two AP before the missiles hit. That allows to shoot down two and reinforce shields for only one hull damage.

As for offence, the Hunter likely won't make it to impulse B with two torpedoes at range 2 targeted at it.

... You are getting there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.