Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Olson
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My apologizes for being lazy and not thoroughly searching for this.

An incoming artillery or mortar fire mission is called, the call is successful and the pending fire counter is placed on the card (either the designated card or the card from a short round).

If there's a unit on that card and that unit can make a move action, can it be moved prior to the counter being flipped to the incoming side?

As in I call for a fire mission. The round is short. The card that the short round will fall into has a squad in it. The squad can use an available move action or initiative to move out of that card to avoid the strike.

It seems that this would be true. During the enemy activity check, the enemy unit can fall back before the combat phase (I've seen that occur a bunch of times, pretty clever of the Germans).

Plus the Pending Fire counter isn't flipped to the Incoming VOF side until the combat phase.

Of course if the unit had already moved and has an exposed marker on it, their SOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Think of a fire mission this way ... either it's an area that has been pre-ranged by artillery, or your force's Forward Observer (or someone else inc command) has asked that an artillery strike be made on that location.

The former means that the terrain has selected and already targeted sometimes days prior to enemy forces being there for various reasons, i.e., because it is a likely area of resistance. The other type of strike requires some spotting rounds tossed out to get the battery of guns registered on the target, taking wind, humidity and other targeting factors into account at the time.

Infantrymen who suddenly have a lone artillery round or two start falling nearby were extremely wise to the fact that a much larger volume of shells would most likely be following imminently, and took all measures to ensure they weren't vulnerable when those shells started falling in earnest. Either hitting the dirt or very quickly bugging out were both valid tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.