Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. I bought the base game a while back, never really had a chance to play it until recently. I was looking at some expansions and see that some are noted as Revised, like Captain R Expansion, Wandering Minstrel, and more.

So what's the difference between these and the non revised? Would those version work with the base game, I'm guessing I have 1.0? Is there an updated rule book and would it be compatible with the base game?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the revised are the versions that have the cards for Forgotten King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Forgotten King is the new "base" set. There is an upgrade kit that has the cards for all the original models so that they can be played with the new set of rules BUT you still need a copy of Forgotten King. The upgrade kit also has cards for all the expansion characters/bosses, so if you end up getting some non-revised ones it's not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
Hello all. I bought the base game a while back, never really had a chance to play it until recently. I was looking at some expansions and see that some are noted as Revised, like Captain R Expansion, Wandering Minstrel, and more.

So what's the difference between these and the non revised? Would those version work with the base game, I'm guessing I have 1.0? Is there an updated rule book and would it be compatible with the base game?

thanks.

The forgotten King is a full re-boot of the game. Items marked as 2.0 or revised may not be compatible with what you have.

If you want to expand your game you will want to either:

Look for old 1.0 copies of caverns of roxxor, von drakk manor, individual mini bosses, and heroes.

Or

Buy the forgotten King and the upgrade pack to bring your game up to the current rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses all. I found the upgrade deck, hopefully that'll be enough to get me started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
Thanks for the responses all. I found the upgrade deck, hopefully that'll be enough to get me started.

It's not, the upgrade deck is useless without the forgotten King base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I need the King base game, can't I just use the rules off the net?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:

They changed everything.
You will be missing 6 decks of cards, and two full boards worth of tokens.

The Forgotten King is a "throw away everything" reboot...
I literally threw away everything but the models and dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:

You need the Exploration deck and the new versions of the Treasure decks. Also some Creeps and Pets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife picked up a couple of the revised edition expansion. It'll be too much of hassle to pack and ship and/or exchange or ask for a refund. So is there an easy way to retrofit them to be compatible with 1.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
So my wife picked up a couple of the revised edition expansion. It'll be too much of hassle to pack and ship and/or exchange or ask for a refund. So is there an easy way to retrofit them to be compatible with 1.0?

What are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
ZeWildStar wrote:

What are they?

Kaelly the Nether Strider
Captain R Expansion
Herald of Vulcanis Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC these are the 1st edition cards for those characters.

ZeWildStar wrote:
Kaelly the Nether Strider

ZeWildStar wrote:
Captain R Expansion

ZeWildStar wrote:
Herald of Vulcanis Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kreuh -
msg tools
mbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:

Actually, you can play with the Classic rulebook, the upgrade pack, and the original SDE box.

Everything will not feel in place and the balance may suffer a bit, but still, it's enjoyable and give you a taste of the real 2.0 gameplay.

For instance, there were many status effects in the v1.0, and just a few in the v2.0. But you can always translate the v1.0 status effects into v2.0. It's a bit of book keeping but it's totally ok.

You will have to use the v1.0 treasure and loot cards instead of the v2.0 as they are in the FK box.

You have no explore deck : just ignore it, it's doesn't add much to the game anyway.
No wonders, ok they are fun but not essential.
No creeps. juste ignore it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an easy way to tell version 1 from version 2 of the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.