Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Detsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I played my first game of Dice City solo without having played multiplayer before. I have read no strategy guides and really was figuring out strategy as I went along. I didn't think my dice rolling was that good (didn't hit a lot of my built locations) and was only able to attack bandits once and use a trade ship once. Yet my score was still 61, which is over 20% higher than the goal score of 50. I was playing on easy (15 rounds) and I double checked the rules during and after and don't think I got anything wrong. Beginners luck or is the goal score too low?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the game is terribly complicated to figure out, particularly with no opponents raiding you (which would be an issue in multiplayer). Where did your points come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting target number is low. I've played the solo game twice and scored 63 and 71.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdetsky wrote:
So I played my first game of Dice City solo without having played multiplayer before. I have read no strategy guides and really was figuring out strategy as I went along. I didn't think my dice rolling was that good (didn't hit a lot of my built locations) and was only able to attack bandits once and use a trade ship once. Yet my score was still 61, which is over 20% higher than the goal score of 50. I was playing on easy (15 rounds) and I double checked the rules during and after and don't think I got anything wrong. Beginners luck or is the goal score too low?
Unless you went very heavily on Cultural locations, getting a score of 61 with only one attack on Bandits and only one Trade Ship sounds way too high.

Assuming a 10 point Trade Ship and a 4 point Bandit (I took the middle values of both for this example), that leaves 47 points from buildings alone. Since you played 15 rounds that means that you were building at least 3-point worth of buildings every turn. This is extremely unlikely since you would need 5+ resources each round in order to build them.

Obviously, Cultural locations like Manor, Festival Hall etc may change the math above a little bit, however, I still find it highly unlikely to get that high a score, with just 1 Bandit and 1 Trade Ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Detsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't take a photo of my final city but I believe I had:

1) around 18 points of victory point tokens with 10 being from a trade ship, 3 from a bandit and the balance from gain VP locations in my city (which included 2 VPs from overbuilding a Grand Statue)

2) one full row of cultural buildings with two cathedrals (worth 6 points each), one grand statue, two great walls and one manor for a total row score of 22

3) one merchant guild (worth 2 points) which was on my white row and my white row had 4 harvest cards as well. I was able to use the merchant guild twice (yes, I played a die on another row to activate it for the second use) and therefore gained a lot of resources that way

4) I had two mints (6 points) which I was able to use several times as they were built early and in columns 2 and 5 on the board (allowing me to spend a die on another row to move the die in the mints row onto a mint no matter what was rolled). I went for a heavy resource strategy since I didn't think attacking bandits was worthwhile. I never got quite enough for the largest trade ship so I figured that buying two or even three cards in a turn was the better way to go. I did get more than 5 resources on virtually every turn from turn 7-15 (more like 6-7 resources).

5) The total above is 48 points and I had another few buildings totaling 13. In the fifteen rounds, I purchased 4 harvest cards, attacked one bandit, traded with one ship and purchased roughly 15 location cards (which was really very few at the beginning and 2-3 per round in the last few rounds.

I appreciate what Vangelis is stating (since he designed the game and all!) but I still believe I made no mistakes in the rules and scored 61. I will try to play another couple of games and see what I score to see if that was an anomaly or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the above sound correct so kudos to you!

Getting those Mints really paid off for you and it was interesting that you opted to go for more locations instead of pouring those resources into Trade Ships. Also, good use of the 2 Cathedrals on the same row!

Three final questions based on what you stated, to ensure that everything was played correctly:

1. You did deactivate Merchant Guild each time you used it right? In the example where you used it twice, that meant that you had to use it one time (copying it with either a Town Hall or a Church I presume), discard another die to reactivate it and then use the white die on it to activate it again (a total of 3 dice for 8 resources). Is that correct?

2. Mint provided an extra resource only each time you used a resource location (Forest, Mountain, Cave, Lumber Mill, Quarry and Mine), right? Not on any other ones (like Merchant Guild, Market Place, Bazaar etc). For example, if you use Mint, it has no effect at all in Merchant Guild's ability.

3. Did you keep at most one of each resource type at the end of every round?

If your answer to the above is indeed yes, then once again congratulations, it was a great play on your part! Looking forward to seeing your scores on future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Detsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the kudos Vangelis. All the questions you ask I can answer that I did play them correctly.

I played another game this morning. The early locations available were mostly army based and resources were scarce. So I decided to go all army with only gathering resources needed to build more army locations.

Below is a photo of my final board.

Overall, I received 26 points for locations, 2 points for paying extra resources and 32 points attacking bandits for a total of 60.

I was somewhat lucky to roll my Town Hall three times and therefore being able to activate either the Training Camp or Water Tower (which is a very powerful card in solo) and attack multiple bandits in one turn.

Therefore, based on two completely different strategies I scored 61 and then 60 points. Again, I suspect that 50 points is low target goal for solo success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wish I would have screen capped my final board, but I scored 92 on my first solo game. Trade ships score nicely. 62 of my points came from VP tokens, only 2 of which were from bandits. 30 points from buildings, so 60 points from trade.

Yes to questions 1, 2, and 3 above, also.

Hard level will add a little more difficulty, but I may try 6 card rows to increase the difficulty even further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
74 on my first game on hard difficulty. 50 points from trade. 23 from buildings. 1 from a small house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kimmings
United Kingdom
Bathgate
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
129 on first solo game. Collected resources a lot, then used market places and storehouses to multiply the resources. Then hit on the Festival Hall to get one point for each pair of like resources. Do this twice in a turn with the church and I'm getting 20 points per turn later in the game. Felt far too easy. Hopefully better with player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
129 sounds like way way way higher than what you should have gotten. I'm fairly certain that you played something wrong.

Perhaps you didn't discard resources at the end of each round? You are only allowed to keep 1 of each from round to round.

Also, just to be sure, did you play a limited number of rounds? 15 for easy and 12 for hard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kimmings
United Kingdom
Bathgate
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storing! Yes! Missed that line, thank you. Now makes much more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.