Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all, I'm very curious about this... Is it EVER worth using alien weapons without the alien skill? It seems to just be mostly bad unless you have the tactic for it, and even then... Red dice go from 7 successes to 6, and 2 automatic failures?

Bleh. Assuming you took your class skill, you also only get alien weapons right near the end of the game. Seems like a strange design decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: expansions.

Getting an Alien weapon in the base game is something of an achievement, not something that happens easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can sometimes be worth it, but usually you'll want Alien Knowledge. For instance, Iridium picked up the Alien sniper rifle in my campaign a few missions before the end, and it was worth equipping it despite his much greater failure rate because the successes were a) quite a lot better, and b) bypassed the Nexus' Alien Armor. I definitely dropped Alien Knowledge on him as his second skill ASAP, though, and it helped immeasurably.

It mainly depends on whether you're willing to take the extra risk for the extra reward. Typically my advice would be not to take the risk, though.

It's possible to get an Alien weapon prior to your first class skill, too, in which case sometimes it's worthwhile to forgo the class skill in favor of Alien Knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien weapons that roll fewer dice are comparatively safer, too. And they don't need ammo, which can make a difference in the longer missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
It seems like fairly easy math to check whether or not X red dice are worth it. Maybe I'll do it when I get home and can look at the alien weapons.

It is sad though, it'd be cool to get sweet alien weapon upgrades instead of items you wait until last level to use... :'(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Alien weapons that roll fewer dice are comparatively safer, too. And they don't need ammo, which can make a difference in the longer missions.

That's a good point; plus although a JAM symbol kills your attack, the weapon itself cannot jam. A good example of where this is useful is giving Chromium the Lasergun as his secondary weapon. Although it can fail, it cannot jam which makes his Guard reaction a lot more consistent (Chromium always seems to have both guns jammed for me; I've missed a number of critical Guard opportunities simply because he didn't have a weapon he could use).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
(Chromium always seems to have both guns jammed for me; I've missed a number of critical Guard opportunities simply because he didn't have a weapon he could use).

Oh man, tell me about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there additional Alien Knowledge tiles available in the expansions? I haven't taken note myself, but remember reading that there is only 1 AK upgrade tile in the base game. That seems like it would put a serious damper on the ability to use those weapons effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Snardo wrote:
Are there additional Alien Knowledge tiles available in the expansions? I haven't taken note myself, but remember reading that there is only 1 AK upgrade tile in the base game. That seems like it would put a serious damper on the ability to use those weapons effectively.

My copy came with 2, and we're going into Mission 11 with exactly 1 Alien Weapon unlocked, so... Not a huge deal. They're pretty hard to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:

Yep; if you buy the expansions you'll end up with 5 Alien Knowledge skill tokens (I think both expansions come with extra; I seem to recall I had more than 5 to store when I opened both of them. I know for a fact that Operation Strikeback has them, though, even if I'm wrong about Extinction Protocol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.