Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

My wife and I have played through the first few adventures for Drizzt and I am thinking about getting the remaining games including this one. But I was also thinking about leaving this one out as it is the lowest rated and supposedly too hard to be enjoyable.

But is there anything worth nothing now that the other three games have come out? Is there a way of making this game more enjoyable by swapping in a different treasure day, say, or something similar?

I'd love to have the extra hero choices and powers but not sure I can justify the purchase unless there is a fix for the difficult game play.

Thanks all for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

all four games are worth having them. Combine them and customize them.
Just four examples:
Add your own adventurers and do not limit yourself to dungeons.

Expand the sequence of play to get rid of the mechanistic, simple process with far too easy predictable results.

Add content drama to each adventure.

Create real parties with companions, henchmen, friends, etc. The game system carries all of this and more.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several variants in the files and forums sections that address adjusting the difficulty of the game, besides, you might actually want a more challenging experience after repeated plays.
If you like the Ravenloft theme, by all means get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still my favorite of them all. The difficulty is a good thing, and can always be tuned down in any number of ways (more surges being the simplest).

I think one of the reasons it's rated lower is because more people played and rated it -- plus, after CR folks knew what they were getting and I think the ratings reflect that. I wouldn't worry at all about the lower rating. If you like LoD, you'll like CR too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:
It's still my favorite of them all. The difficulty is a good thing, and can always be tuned down in any number of ways (more surges being the simplest).

I think one of the reasons it's rated lower is because more people played and rated it -- plus, after CR folks knew what they were getting and I think the ratings reflect that. I wouldn't worry at all about the lower rating. If you like LoD, you'll like CR too.

Mm, excellent points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing I would add about the difficulty is that while it feels really difficult, I think the game is better balanced than most people realise. Sure, you are constantly getting beat down by both monsters and the encounter deck. Despite this, even when I lose, I tend to find that it was a very close game and that we almost won.

For example, I lost my last 2 games, both of which were against the Golem. In one game, we had 2 calm tokens already and needed just one more. My PC had 2 items but we didn't have enough experience left to see which item was calm and which was enrage. We took a guess, got it wrong and lost before I got to act again. If I had guessed correctly, we would have won that game.

In the other defeat, despite a difficult start, we were able to pull it back to within 1 die roll of victory. In that game, we initially tried to calm the Golem but realised that we weren't going to be able to do so in time and switched to trying to kill it instead. In the end, our fighter needed to roll a 9 on his brute force attack which would have killed the Golem. Better than 50:50 odds to win the game on that last die roll. For the record - he rolled an 8. shake

As you can imagine, while we lost both of those games, it was so close that we had a real nail-biter of a finish and we all enjoyed the game even though we were defeated.

Although that second game was really aggravating to one player as he was advocating that we kill it from the start but was outvoted by the rest of us who wanted to try saving it first. When we lost, that player was screaming "I told you guys to kill it from the start!!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Shaffer
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all 4 sets and CR is pulled off the shelf the most out of all of the series by my kids, we love the stuffiness of the dungeon and that 'riding the ragged edge of disaster' feeling that it produces. we add Dungeon Command Curse of Undeath in there for even more evil to combat.

yes it will make you loose but not all of the time, victory is much sweeter once you do make it through. Adventure 3 starring the villain Klak is one that my Kids and I play through quite often, he's got some wild tactics that keep us coming back after him, and for a good solo game, ' Impossible mission' is a lot of fun to play through as well.
so I hope you give this set another look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We plays with 3 players, CR+Curse of the Undeath monsters and 0 Healing Surges in all Adventure Book adventures, and complete all of them except adv4, cause this adv is broken. With 2 players my advice is plays with 2 characters each or 1 character each + 1/2 Surges. Of course you can add any number of Surges, if you feel that game is difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
For what it's worth, I happen to think Ravenloft captures the THEME the best of the three I have. (I have not played ToEE so cannot comment there.)

That doesn't address any difficulties you have.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Hi!

My wife and I have played through the first few adventures for Drizzt and I am thinking about getting the remaining games including this one. But I was also thinking about leaving this one out as it is the lowest rated and supposedly too hard to be enjoyable.

But is there anything worth nothing now that the other three games have come out? Is there a way of making this game more enjoyable by swapping in a different treasure day, say, or something similar?

I'd love to have the extra hero choices and powers but not sure I can justify the purchase unless there is a fix for the difficult game play.

Thanks all for your advice!

I recommend it. As noted by Magnus, it got the most play, therefore the most ratings. It is the most difficult of the 4 on it's own, and I think that difficulty caused some who may have enjoyed it otherwise to rate it lower.

If you want to adjust the difficulty, here are some quick fixes.

Add all the treasures from all games into one deck. Better gear helps.

Remove all the red Encounter cards. It will take some time pressure off, as you won't be losing hitpoints to random die rolls every other turn or so.

Try to outrun Gargoyles.

Don't feel shy about adding a third healing surge if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Blank wrote:
play with four characters. One or two is not enough
I always felt that the game was balanced fairly well for any number of heroes. We've done most of ToEE with only two heroes.

Do you mean playing solo or with a group? Sometimes getting a full compliment of players together can be difficult.

Do you find that the extra downtime when there's four heroes isn't a big problem? With two heroes, you go back and forth quite a bit before the end tile (or whatever) shows up, whereas with four heroes, each hero only gets 2-3 turns before the end-game triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Beaklini
msg tools
Where do you get this object-room constelation for Ravenloft adventure 31?

It reminds me of the original Ranveloft for AD&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.