Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cash Dollarz for a new game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys! I've got some money to get a new game with. I need help picking it, you know the drill!

Things I like:
Co-op
Cool theme
Soloable is nice (even if it's a variant)
Strategic
Heavy

Things I don't like:
Large amounts of conflict (I like this, fiance doesn't)
Cheap looking pieces
Fiddly game play.


Recommend away! Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you mean by conflict, but The Lord of the Rings LCG seems to fit the rest of the bill.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Depends what you mean by conflict, but The Lord of the Rings LCG seems to fit the rest of the bill.


It sure does! Which is why I already own every expansion

Nailed it though, LotR LCG is top 5 hands down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun: Crossfire
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You already own all the games I was going to recommend:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Mage Knight Board Game
Freedom: The Underground Railroad (arguably not "heavy")

So: nice collection !


Still, maybe these will be of interest to you:

Leaving Earth

E Solitaire/cooperative/competitive. Arguably not heavy, but pretty mathy.


Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)

E The series was solitaire before, now it can be played with up to 4 players cooperatively. The game comes with 3 rulebooks of increasing complexity (basic/normal/full game).


Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients / Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death

E Warning though, the combat system is very 90s-style and the game requires miniature assembly and pen & paper bookkeeping. Mid-heavy weight.


Good luck and have fun !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Depends what you mean by conflict, but The Lord of the Rings LCG seems to fit the rest of the bill.


It sure does! Which is why I already own every expansion :D

Nailed it though, LotR LCG is top 5 hands down.


So Warhammer Quest looks like a natural next step.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
AtStapley wrote:
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Depends what you mean by conflict, but The Lord of the Rings LCG seems to fit the rest of the bill.


It sure does! Which is why I already own every expansion

Nailed it though, LotR LCG is top 5 hands down.


So Warhammer Quest looks like a natural next step.

Never played it, but I'm curious: how does it compare in terms of complexity and its learning curve ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Never played it, but I'm curious: how does it compare in terms of complexity and its learning curve ?

To LotR? It's way easier; it's a bit like Space Hulk: Death Angel (which is, btw, another excellent co-op but killing aliens is pretty much the meat&potatoes of the whole game, and that's out of OP's field).

W.Quest is based on 4 cards per character (player), they are fixed, and personal; while LotR has a huge pre-game part (deckbuilding) that is almost 50% of the game. So that's a huge plus for somebody: in W.Quest you simply pick your chara and the 4 cards, setup the quest, and that's it. Really quick.

Gameplay wise, you have nothing of the rich cards mix of LotR of course (with 6 cycles, plus Saga, there is a considerable card pool now - of course Magic:TG is even way more richer...), plus there is a bit of luck in dice rolling - in LotR most of the time you feel that you've lost because the deck you made was wrong; in W.Quest it's an "adventure gone wrong" for... many things (dice, cards, yes also your actions activation order...)

The coop part is much more intense in W.Quest, there are a lot of "assists" and mutual support; while in LotR it's a bit more like convergent railroads, you know, same goal but each on its own.

LotR has a strong theme and a vast, rich universe underneath; the latest expansions are quite tough (to me at least); but you know, being a deck builder, the card powers are what matters, not the narrative coherence - yes you are inside a small doomed house but you heroes bring a warhorse for double strike...
W.Quest is just a generic fantasy, but the quests seems more "logically connected" if that makes sense.

In terms of learning curve, the mechanics are pretty straightforward in both to me. Easy games to learn, hard to master. Very different but equally interesting - let's just hope to see more expansions for W.Quest soon (being a FFG brand, I doubt it can't be...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
Kyur wrote:
Never played it, but I'm curious: how does it compare in terms of complexity and its learning curve ?

To LotR? It's way easier; it's a bit like Space Hulk: Death Angel (which is, btw, another excellent co-op but killing aliens is pretty much the meat&potatoes of the whole game, and that's out of OP's field).

W.Quest is based on 4 cards per character (player), they are fixed, and personal; while LotR has a huge pre-game part (deckbuilding) that is almost 50% of the game. So that's a huge plus for somebody: in W.Quest you simply pick your chara and the 4 cards, setup the quest, and that's it. Really quick.

Gameplay wise, you have nothing of the rich cards mix of LotR of course (with 6 cycles, plus Saga, there is a considerable card pool now - of course Magic:TG is even way more richer...), plus there is a bit of luck in dice rolling - in LotR most of the time you feel that you've lost because the deck you made was wrong; in W.Quest it's an "adventure gone wrong" for... many things (dice, cards, yes also your actions activation order...)

The coop part is much more intense in W.Quest, there are a lot of "assists" and mutual support; while in LotR it's a bit more like convergent railroads, you know, same goal but each on its own.

LotR has a strong theme and a vast, rich universe underneath; the latest expansions are quite tough (to me at least); but you know, being a deck builder, the card powers are what matters, not the narrative coherence - yes you are inside a small doomed house but you heroes bring a warhorse for double strike...
W.Quest is just a generic fantasy, but the quests seems more "logically connected" if that makes sense.

In terms of learning curve, the mechanics are pretty straightforward in both to me. Easy games to learn, hard to master. Very different but equally interesting - let's just hope to see more expansions for W.Quest soon (being a FFG brand, I doubt it can't be...)


OUT OF MY FIELD!?




I already own Death Angel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AtStapley wrote:
OUT OF MY FIELD!?




I already own Death Angel

Fine then; I thought that

Quote:
Things I don't like:
Large amounts of conflict


clashed a bit with rapid-fire bolters and xenos burning...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
AtStapley wrote:
OUT OF MY FIELD!?




I already own Death Angel

Fine then; I thought that

Quote:
Things I don't like:
Large amounts of conflict


clashed a bit with rapid-fire bolters and xenos burning...


I should have stated that better-- she doesn't like human conflict. Mostly she throws dice at me when I kill her stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I picked up Level 7 [Invasion] for 25 bucks on Miniature Market. So that's a cheap game that, even if I don't like it, I'll scavenge for pieces and be happy. Thanks all!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.