9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Advice for two hero balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to find a way to balance the game so that it is playable with 2 heroes having a fighting chance. Would doubling their HP be enough? Or should I also double the cost of spawns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as a untested suggestion, removing the spawns altogether.
So 2 heroes vs the dungeon as printed.
Spawn cards are good for threat.

The reason I suggest this is that it overcomes the problem of limited LOS for fewer heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not let two players control two heroes each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:

It would have to be 1 player controlling 4 heroes. And that would lower the enjoyment of my partner, as she is not that deep into gaming and may not wish to remember that many skills, abilities etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well then, you don't you switch and she plays the OL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AC
United States
flag msg tools
borsook wrote:
duhtch wrote:

It would have to be 1 player controlling 4 heroes. And that would lower the enjoyment of my partner, as she is not that deep into gaming and may not wish to remember that many skills, abilities etc.

Well this looks like a fine time to show off our solution a little bit (very little, the code is a bit of a cluge as I was dabbling with angular and webapi and hardly knew what i was doing when i made it) and share how we dealt with this issue of 4 heroes...

...my boy and I don't like all the things you need to commit to memory for 4 heroes/2-players either and I hate the card board clutter of this game, so we just slapped a quick web app together to run locally on our tablet. I imagine you could do the same thing w/ excel and a laptop if you aren't the programming type. Playing 4 heroes this way is much more manageable and fun. We find flipping through the information much easier, mitigating the amount of things you need to keep in memory. Gl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acshaw wrote:
borsook wrote:
duhtch wrote:

Well this looks like a fine time to show off our solution a little bit (very little, the code is a bit of a cluge as I was dabbling with angular and webapi and hardly knew what i was doing when i made it) and share how we dealt with this issue of 4 heroes...

...my boy and I don't like all the things you need to commit to memory for 4 heroes/2-players either and I hate the card board clutter of this game, so we just slapped a quick web app together to run locally on our tablet. I imagine you could do the same thing w/ excel and a laptop if you aren't the programming type. Playing 4 heroes this way is much more manageable and fun. We find flipping through the information much easier, mitigating the amount of things you need to keep in memory. Gl.

Wow, that looks really great, is there anyway to access it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the following simple rule modifications work ok to adjust for less than 4 players. (most if not all of these were taken from other posted variants)

1. Remove all spawn cards from the overlord deck where the monsters aren't represented on the original map.
2. Overlord gets amount of threat equal to player count (including himself - this is no change from before).
3. When a new area is revealed, the first spawn card played by the Overlord is the printed card cost. Additional spawn cards played before another area is revealed cost additional threat over the cost of the spawn card: 5 x (5 - number of heroes). For example, 1 hero playing implies that the 2nd+ spawn card for a particular area will cost an additional (5 x (5 - 1)) 20 threat.
4. After a spawn card is played, it is removed from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AC
United States
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, I host it only for our house games. It just isn't fit for a public release as it has a lot of quirky behaviors I'm not willing to address at the moment. blush Primary problem among them, I styled the ui for an 8-inch tablet w/o regard to any other view sizes as that is what we use at home. I was just showing what you might do through some technology you are more familiar with, like excel. You could probably whip something up similar using google and excel in a few hours (minus the graphics scanning time...)

Anyway, I have a build I've been slowly working on for public release but that may be a long time away as it is really just my personal sandbox for learning new technology. If I ever do get around to it, I'll be sure to post it here, but no promises. I'm terribly lazy when it comes to unpaid dev work.

In any case, regarding your original topic, I support Hector's comment here, those are good ideas...I know we will be trying that ourselves next 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.