Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would appear Merkel doesn't have the backing of the people of Germany when it comes to their immigration/open borders policy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3489936/Angela-Merke...

Will be interesting to see if she's able to change that in a year during the national elections or not.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
right-wing parties are getting popular in germany again - how exciting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
Now's the time for Russia to create a new Warsaw pact, get everyone around Germany to join. Then we can stop paying for Europe's defense. Russia could use the arms sales and it will make our fiscal conservatives happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
TheChin! wrote:
Now's the time for Russia to create a new Warsaw pact, get everyone around Germany to join. Then we can stop paying for Europe's defense. Russia could use the arms sales and it will make our fiscal conservatives happy.

ah yes "fiscal conservatives" who want to reduce military spending - the unicorns of politics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:

Second star on the reich, straight on till Don.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted in Baden-Württemberg yesterday, where the Greens, party of the incumbent Ministerpräsident, became the strongest party

I can't write an essay on my phone right now but yes, AfD's result is far too strong, but no, things are not as simple as the Mail makes it look (surprise!).

Most importantly, Merkel's own CDU, which in significant parts doesn't support Merkel's pro refugee policies, has lost lots of votes to parties who do.

On the other hand, there are also strong anti refugee/migrants sentiments which have been succesfully channelled by the Trumpish AfD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, another triumph for democracy, now if only we had a man who could make Germany great again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
I voted in Baden-Württemberg yesterday, where the Greens, party of the incumbent Ministerpräsident, became the strongest party

I can't write an essay on my phone right now but yes, AfD's result is far too strong, but no, things are not as simple as the Mail makes it look (surprise!).

Most importantly, Merkel's own CDU, which in significant parts doesn't support Merkel's pro refugee policies, has lost lots of votes to parties who do.

On the other hand, there are also strong anti refugee/migrants sentiments which have been succesfully channelled by the Trumpish AfD.

This.

It's basically that those parties that support Merkel's course of action (or candidates sometimes) are the winners of the election. Yes, there's a right wing party emerging strong for now, but they will vanish again in the next election 5 years from now.

And you Americans should look at your own elections that are coming up. We could say AfD is the German Trump... They won't have a say in any part of Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Yes, another triumph for democracy, now if only we had a man who could make Germany great again.

One trusts you're not so far gone as to actually think that, but one never knows with ultra-liberals....

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
From reading the Mail's story, I got the impression there was a great deal of fluffing going on. The Afd didn't exactly crush Merkel's party, rather it did better than most observers prior to the election believed it would. That is somewhat surprising, but events such as the disintegration of Syria's and Libya's governments, and the resulting flood of refugees into Europe proper, will lead to diverging political viewpoints. The AfD capitalized on this angst to increase its representation in local elections. A cause for concern perhaps, but the better showing of the center-left and left parties is largely ignored in the article.

That doesn't, to me, mean Merkel can shrug this off. People argue about the long vetting process in the United States for political refugees, and it may be too long for some people certainly, but asking a few questions and then giving someone an ID card is not enough. It is an issue, however, that is not easily corrected. No one really doubts that the vast majority of the refugees are just normal people trying to escape a horrific situation not of their making. Simple humanity depends some type of care and kindness.

Like I said, not an easy problem to solve, unless you are a clueless do-gooder who thinks even that 30-minute interview is too much or a racist asshole, who thinks border guards should machine gun children and old people at the border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

One trusts you're not so far gone as to actually think that, but one never knows with ultra-liberals....

Ferret
Think what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
It would appear Merkel doesn't have the backing of the people of Germany when it comes to their immigration/open borders policy:

Leave it to the Daily Mail to interpret a vote that saw the pro-refugee parties gain the majority as a victory for the contrary...

The biggest losses for Merkel's CDU happened in the states where the candidates decided to diverge from the "party line" on the issue.

It still baffles me how the AfD can consider itself to speak for "the silent majority of the people" if they score that low in the election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Xenos141 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Leave it to the Daily Mail to interpret a vote that saw the pro-refugee parties gain the majority as a victory for the contrary...

The biggest losses for Merkel's CDU happened in the states where the candidates decided to diverge from the "party line" on the issue.

It still baffles me how the AfD can consider itself to speak for "the silent majority of the people" if they score that low in the election.

One explanation for "The biggest losses for Merkel's CDU happened in the states where the candidates decided to diverge from the "party line" on the issue", is that the candidates saw how the voters felt and tried to bend with the wind, but lost anyway.

Another might be that those candidates lost their own party's support for bending, and therefore lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Weiler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

One explanation for "The biggest losses for Merkel's CDU happened in the states where the candidates decided to diverge from the "party line" on the issue", is that the candidates saw how the voters felt and tried to bend with the wind, but lost anyway.

Another might be that those candidates lost their own party's support for bending, and therefore lost.

Yeah, both are reasonable assumptions and appear to be true. I haven't checked on the statistics for the other states but Baden-Württemberg saw the CDU loose it's voters mainly to the AfD (anti-refugee) and the Greens (pro-refugee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
Xenos141 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Merkel's CDU has the problem that both are the case to some extent.

She has moved the centre right party towards the middle, but has a lot of right wing dissenters internally. So voters move to parties both left and right of CDU to get the real deal.

But the fact remains that even in Sachsen-Anhalt, where the anti-refugee AfD has won a sensational result totally undreamt of by anyone, they still only got 23%. In the other two states where there were elections on Sunday they got closer to 15%. So you can't really say there suddenly is a majority in Germany who is totally opposed to Merkel's refugee policies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.