John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich James (arjisme) and I played our second face to face game of Plan Orange this past Saturday. We switched sides from our first play and I took the US this time. This is a pictorial report of the highlights of our game.

There are a number of automatic victory and end game victory conditions to be aware of which if not achieved by game end result in a Japanese win by default.

The Japanese player gets the first two card plays of the game starting with card#1 and #2 from the Japanese Deck. How best to utilize those cards to activate units is an interesting exercise in itself.

Rich used most of his activations, in the first two cards, to complete the conquest of the Philippines.

The US will use his Turn 1 activations to start moving units from the East and West coast to the Pacific theatre bases at Oahu, Dutch Harbor, or Funafuti. In most of my solo attempts I've sent units to Oahu and Funafuti, this time I'm going to try the Northern route, sending units to Dutch Harbor and Oahu, with the idea of invading the Home Islands and eventually targeting the Japanese resources in Korea and Manchuria.

Japan reinforced his Philippine holdings and the outer edge of his empire so I amphibiously invaded from Dutch Harbor and established a US base at Ominato. In our first face to face play, Rich had done something similar except he landed just North in Hakodate. After the US successful landing, Rich showed how much of a pain Japanese air can be especially when using card #6 or #7 "Naval Offensive" which grants a bonus +2 attack strength to Carrier and Air units. Since the US had only one carrier stationed at Ominato, I could only hit one of his attacking air units each time. He had already dinged my carrier when I launched a ground assault on Tokyo. After my failed attempt, the idea of a US forward base on the Home Islands wasn't looking so wise.

I was trying to figure out how to make the most of my pulling out of Ominato back to Dutch Harbor or Oahu and decided to invade Truk with units from Ominato and Oahu using US card #9 "War Plan O-3"; the downside to this card is the -4 defense strength to naval units. Next time I will keep an eye out for Japan card #19 "Kentai Kessen" before playing this card. This is what I called the Double Whammy Offensive.

After the defeat at Truk, the US had 8 naval units at Oahu needing refit. Fortunately I had drawn two US Naval Resource events earlier and had enough RP to refit all my damaged naval units.

Emboldened by Japanese successes, a lack of air cover, and an empty US hand, Rich launched a naval sortie on Palau - Akron and Macon to the rescue.

It is Turn 6 and although I have managed to build both ports on Kwajelein and Saipan/Tinian, it is not looking good for the US. The Philippines is heavily garrisoned, and I don't have enough activations to capture the Home Islands, I think my only options are to attempt to destroy the Japanese fleet or place the Home Islands out of supply.

I first try to take Seoul.

I had no chance with a Japanese 12-12 in Seoul, when Rich managed to react with air units to the battle. I should have attacked Tainan so he could not use it as a air stepping stone to Shanghai.

The US has only 1 card left to play. I think I can win if I roll well and Rich rolls poorly.

The rolls went exactly opposite of what I hoped for plus Rich plays Kentai Kessen, again, gaining an extra +10 to his strength. After the game, a more detailed calculation revealed the US would have still lost the game even if both die rolls favored the US, but not by much.

Thoughts:
1. These weaker air units can still be a nuisance to the US. The US being on the offensive will always be moving toward the Japanese air while moving away from theirs increasing the chance for an air force ratio favorable to the Japanese.

2. A timely Kentai Kessen can be devastating for the US especially when played against War Plan O-3.

3. This was the first time I used the Macon/Akron unit. I should probably try to make use of it more often.

Another fun game with Rich.

• [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome session report. Looks like it was quite an exciting game. I hoped you both enjoyed it.

Nice use of illustrated photos to tell the story, one of the best session reports that I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark -- one of the best session reports I've ever seen! Thanks for taking the time to expertly annotate the images!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question on the use of Macon/Akron.

Mark has stated that 10 is the range for the air legs, but that the combat range was 1 hex (for the biplanes). Did the airship move to Yap to support Palau?

Or do I have the functioning of the airship wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:

Mark has stated that 10 is the range for the air legs, but that the combat range was 1 hex (for the biplanes). Did the airship move to Yap to support Palau?

Maybe we played it wrong...blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwboone wrote:
colmenarez wrote:

Maybe we played it wrong...blush

No worries! Fantastic session report BTW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report: the pics with the comments in them are very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report, I am playing the game for the first time later today and it was very useful to get an idea of the main strategies!

But I had a quick question about your attack on Seoul. Even if you had attacked the Japanese airport in Tainan, the air unit could have done three legs of 3 hexes to get there no, for example through Wenchow?

Maybe you could try a similar session report for EotS if you have some spare time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.