Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Back in the day when I first got into boardgaming and wargaming, I wondered whistle about those wargamers who clipped the corners of their counters. I thought to myself, "Geeze, that's a little extreme, isn't it?"
Well, now the shoe's on the other foot!

After being convinced with my own two eyes and my own fingers as to how much better a game can be when its counter's corners are clipped (who knew?), I invested in a handheld 2mm Corner Cutter.
It's sold by Oregon Laminations Company (link below).

So for those of you who may be new to this wargaming thing, (as I suspect this game is drawing some new players), I highly recommend that you drink the Kool-Aid now and start trimming your corners!

Below is an image of what my game markers look like after trimming. I also threw in a few that aren't trimmed so you can see the difference. Trimming requires a simple squeeze of the cutting device for each corner. The guides automatically seat each corner. Each marker takes about 6 or 7 seconds.

I suspect the cutter will last for a hundred or more games! I've trimmed the corners of probably 2000 counters by now, and the cutter doesn't show any signs of wear.

Here's the link (it can also be found on Amazon for the same price): http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-2MM_2mm_Corner_Cutter_Punch_R...

You can find models that will cut various radii... my preference is the 2mm because it's small enough for 1/2" counters while serving its purpose for the larger counters as well. If I had the money, I'd also buy the 3mm cutter for the larger counters found in other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting. I'm gonna check it out, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have that same corner rounder. It's great. I will note that you missed the bottom right corner of the Superior Torpedoes counter. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering investing in such a clipper. I think, though, with counters like the warship (CVS), I will not clip the one corner with "CVS" so as not to cut that info off. Such concerns have kept from me making the jump thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using the C4 counter clipper for five or six years. It is HUGELY faster than clipping the counters individually. I clip eight or nine at a time. Works great, lasts a long time, and the flat blades for the Xacto knife (not included) are cheap and easy to replace to keep it in top notch condition.

Here's a promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ergp5FvF_Y

(Edit WHAT ??? $45.00 plus $9 dollars shipping for the 2mm corner clipper??!! Insane. The C4 costs about $22.00, iirc, and is way way faster.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Been using the 2mm for quite a while now and for many games. I will 2nd everything Barry said and agree that it makes my Silent Victory counters look even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ekted wrote:
I will note that you missed the bottom right corner of the Superior Torpedoes counter. whistle

Yeah, I noticed that while setting the picture up. I actually trimmed that corner but got lazy with it! And I got lazy again when I decided to not fix it.

But since you called me out
... it's fixed! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

7eat51 wrote:
I've been considering investing in such a clipper. I think, though, with counters like the warship (CVS), I will not clip the one corner with "CVS" so as not to cut that info off. Such concerns have kept from me making the jump thus far.

If you use the 2mm, you won't clip off the "CVS". Just look at the trimmed "AS", next to it.

With all the games I've trimmed with this cutter - and all the 1/2" counters with markings in the corners - I have yet to trim away any markings or text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it this one on Amazon for $45? It made those counters look great. Will it work for lots of differently sized counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

7eat51 wrote:

If you use the 2mm, you won't clip off the "CVS". Just look at the trimmed "AS", next to it.

With all the games I've trimmed with this cutter - and all the 1/2" counters with markings in the corners - I have yet to trim away any markings or text.

Thanks. This is the confirmation I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

chicklewis wrote:
I've been using the C4 counter clipper for five or six years. It is HUGELY faster than clipping the counters individually. I clip eight or nine at a time. Works great, lasts a long time, and the flat blades for the Xacto knife...

Yes, that's a great tool as well. And I thought seriously about buying that instead. But for me it simply boiled down to preference. I realized that I like the look of a rounded corner instead of a straight corner.

Plus the cutter I use leaves a very clean, smooth, and beveled edge every time. The C4 requires a sharp blade and a practiced technique to achieve the same consistent results. Though granted, neither of which is a show stopper nor should be the only deciding factors, regardless.

So it's a matter of preference. And as you said, if budget is a concern then yes, the C4 is less expensive (and quicker too, if you put a price on your time)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GeorgeMo wrote:
Is it this one on Amazon for $45? It made those counters look great. Will it work for lots of differently sized counters?

No, not exactly. You linked to the 2.5mm radius. I used the 2mm radius, here (on Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

GeorgeMo wrote:

No, not exactly. You linked to the 2.5mm radius. I used the 2mm radius, here (on Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/dp...

Ok, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Been using the 2mm for quite a while now and for many games. I will 2nd everything Barry said and agree that it makes my Silent Victory counters look even better.

+3

2mm is all you will ever need. Also works for 1 inch counters (from Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Real Men don't clip counters. Why, back in my day, we'd punch the counters out, and just toss 'em in the box. Then we'd walk to the board game meet, barefoot, in the snow, and uphill (both ways). And you know what? We liked it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Johnston
United States
flag msg tools

I agree that counter corner clipping is worthwhile. I used to spend a lot of time with an Xacto knife or single edge razor blade to trim the worst off the counters, but a corner-rounder gives a faster, more consistent result. Even when I don't get a perfect clip it still looks and feels better than an unclipped, ragged counter.

I use a different design from Oregon Laminations via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Corner-Rounder-Punch-Cutter/dp/...

It does a pretty good job, but I just realized that if I hold it upside down I can see the corner to be cut and the results are even better.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capn_tucker wrote:

Real Men don't clip counters. Why, back in my day, we'd punch the counters out, and just toss 'em in the box. Then we'd walk to the board game meet, barefoot, in the snow, and uphill (both ways). And you know what? We liked it!

One of the funny things on the sub was many times to and from work (berthing<->engine room) it was uphill both ways Whichever way made me catch the 200# watertight door, that was the angle or dangle according to Mr. Murphy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, now why cant I find anything like this here in the UK cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markmc wrote:
Cool, now why cant I find anything like this here in the UK cry

I use good nail clippers. They work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7eat51 wrote:

It looks to me as though there was a slight misalignment with the printer's die cutting there, not enough to mess up the counter but sufficient to show why we don't put elements on counters too close to the edge, and avoid colour transitions between adjacent counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Featherstonhaugh
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to leave my counters unclipped as it drives the OCD loons crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedgeij wrote:
7eat51 wrote:

It looks to me as though there was a slight misalignment with the printer's die cutting there, not enough to mess up the counter but sufficient to show why we don't put elements on counters too close to the edge, and avoid colour transitions between adjacent counters.

I have noticed such things on several recent game acquisitions. Unfortunately, not every company is responsive regarding customer service. One company from whom I have many games in a series seems impossible to reach and receive any type of response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wedgeij wrote:
It looks to me as though there was a slight misalignment with the printer's die cutting there, not enough to mess up the counter...

Yes, this was definitely the case, for the entire sprue of course. It looks like the cuts were off by 1mm (or very, very close to a mm). As you said, not enough to detract from play, but noticeable nonetheless.

I did a hi-res scan of the sprue before I punched it (as I do with all my games). I'll be glad to email the image to you if you're looking to collect "data points".

Otherwise, no worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Those look very nice! I've never been a corner clipper, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tony M wrote:
I've never been a corner clipper, though.

It's like getting a smartphone a few years ago... you can say, "Humph. I don't need one of those and don't imagine I ever will!"

But then you finally break down and buy one and wonder how you ever did without it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.